Character
    Oldrelic
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 11

A good server for starting players?

Hello!

Just bought the game on Steam, and ->new player<- here. I'm shaking off the "green" in Fenrir, and it looks like the english population is low / non-existent for my choice of starting in Bastok.

I've been reading that many people solo...and well ... I was looking more for coordinated groups to become a part of.

So, what remaining groups are active, which server, what times?

I have no problem creating a new character on a different server.
    (0)

Character
    Sylinath
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Broski, I'll be totally honest. Anyone else that replies is going to blow some serious smoke, so grain of salt.

This game is extremely unforgiving to new players.

I wouldn't start this late in it's life, but if you are intent on giving it a try, the only places with people are Asura, maybe Odin.

You will have a hard time getting help with basic things on any server though, most people won't bother, done it a hundred times, we help you, and you quit. They get tired of doing it.

The wiki's are your best friend. www.bg-wiki.com and http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki

If you have basic knowledge of mmo/rpgs the game kinda holds your hand. Get trusts, do the things in the Quest menu. You honestly don't need help if you can navigate the RoE menu. Simple shouting, might get you some answers but maybe not, try not to get discouraged.

If you get stuck on shit you can ask here too, but replys are pretty slow.
    (0)
    Last edited by Domille; 02-19-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Asura has a couple of ls's for returning and new players. They feel extremely unorganised though and I'm not sure what the purpose is since you can pretty much solo your way rather fast to 99 if you follow Records Of Eminence quests and if you dig into ffxi's vast amount of missions with following the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel storyline.
    I think finding a nice social ls is alot better then joining one for returning/new people since they only spam simple questions...which you could find the answer to faster if you bothered to look them up on bgwiki and ffxiclopedia.

Further I can say Asura is a good server for doing content. We have plenty of shouts for Pick up Groups and you dont have to wait 2 hours to form a group...depending on the content you wish to do.

Like Domille said, its an old game though, dont expect to do "endgame" soon.
    (1)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Character
    Oldrelic
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Domille View Post

The wiki's are your best friend. www.bg-wiki.com and http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki
    awesome! Strategies and guides! That will be a big bonus help!

@Domille and @vienne
    So, Asura, huh? Got it.

and ls = Link Share, I'm assuming... an equivalent to a guild or company? I will probably join a Social, then, as that I probably won't need any hand holding. From what I've observed, I need to jump in and enjoy this one for 5-6 months to fully enjoy a lot of plots and stories.

English background chatter and banter helps to soften the leveling grind, in my opinion.

[edit] Any recommended social ls's?
    (1)

Player
    LS = Linkshell (and yes, it's equivalent to a guild.)

As far as finding a social ls, I'd suggest you just do a couple /yell in town that you are an actual "new" player and looking for a linkshell. Someone is sure to pick up any strays they find. XD
    If you have trouble finding one, or if you feel like you need someone to show you the ropes, hit me up in-game. ^^ Look for Nyarlko or Cthuuko and I'll be happy to help if I can.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Asura - I moved from Fenrir because it was dead (I'd hate to think what it's like now).

"Reawakening" seems to be a good LS for new players.
    (2)

I'll echo the suggestion to transfer over to Asura, it's night and day difference compared to most of the other servers. Much higher English speaking population that caters to all groups of players.
    (1)

Character
    Dekusutaa
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The game is essentially solo-able all the way to 99 and you can get ilvl 117 and some 119 pieces solo.

I'd echo the sentiment that unless you find a group early on, don't expect a lot of companionship as you level up and catch up.

But unlike many other MMOs, gear sets are pretty static, we've been ilvl 119 for 3+ years now, and though there is always new gear added, it's fairly easy with some work and presistence to catch up and then finding your niche and making friends once you get your gear ready and join shouts for various activities.

I'd also add not to get disheartended if you don't get much help for the low-level stuff you may feel you need help for. The game is pretty much designed to be soloable, including pushing through most of the story content, save for possible a few fights in the Seeker's of Adoulin and Rhapsodies storyline.
    That said, once you're caught up, parties should be a lot easier to find.

As such where you start may not matter so much. I know Asura/Odin are popular recommendations, but the other severs combined still greatly outnumber those 2 servers. There are plenty of healthy stable and friendly communities in servers like Bismarck and Queztcoatl, I'd encourage you check out the other servers too if grouping isn't what you seek.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Here's a question, just for future reference...

Did they do anything to make Genkais #2 and #3 a bit less painful? Last I checked, the mobs near the Crests are still VT+ (with a True Sight NM!) standing right next to a couple of the ???s and at least one of the Boreal mobs still spams AoE Paralyze out the wazoo and doesn't seem like something a Lv55 can handle, even with 4 trusts?
    (0)

Character
    Squires
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    Here's a question, just for future reference...

Did they do anything to make Genkais #2 and #3 a bit less painful? Last I checked, the mobs near the Crests are still VT+ (with a True Sight NM!) standing right next to a couple of the ???s and at least one of the Boreal mobs still spams AoE Paralyze out the wazoo and doesn't seem like something a Lv55 can handle, even with 4 trusts?
    I did these last year, 2 was easy, run in with a mount, grab the item, hop back on. 3 was more challenging, but doable. Worst one was Oztroja. Just took some patience waiting for mobs to move.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast