Character
    Theoraen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Target monster character instead of just nonplayercharacter and playercharacter

I don't know if its just me but i kinda wish there was a macro for targeting that ignore everything except for mobs. maybe im just lazy but something like <tmc> or <stmc> or something like that. its always has been a pet peeve of mine since i started playing ffxi back in 2004. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that difficult to code in. i mean we already got <stpt> and alliance. and stbt kinda sucks. and fix the auto target. if i got monsters attacking me i shouldn't sheathe my weapon especially when im looking right at them
    (0)
    Last edited by Theorean; 02-10-2017 at 03:16 PM.

perhaps adding /target <STenmity> or something, that'd limit targeting as a whole, however that requires you to be on enmity list unless that'd be for party/alliances enmity list.
    However if your talking about a CP party or something. your more than likely gonna use nowadays /attack <bt> or /assist <Tanks name> or /attack <stnpc>
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    The problem with <bt> and <assist> is that it requires you to either have claim on a monster, or be in a group with a tank respectively.

What about all the times where this is not the case?

Sometimes, in crowded areas you get a link, or aggro from another monster and you have to target through a bunch of other junk, and despite the monster being right in front of you, sometimes F8 won't even work (it'll target the wrong thing). So you gotta tab through your Trusts, other mobs, blah blah to get the thing you ACTUALLY want. And then there's the times where you accidentally hit the tab target key one too many times and have to cycle through everything all over again while you're dying and in desperate need of a Sleep thrown on an add or something.

And then there's the subject of trying to open Treasure Caskets, Reliquaries, Pyxis, etc especially with Trusts nearby because they always get right ontop of you and your character wants to target everything EXCEPT the stupid Chest, INCLUDING stuff that is BEHIND you. I've literally stood in front of a Treasure Casket and kept targeting the Trust NPCs that were standing BEHIND me. This is especially annoying with Brown Treasure Caskets, because every single input/attempt closes your "dialogue" with the chest and you have to re-target it again EVERY SINGLE ATTEMPT you make at the chest.

I think we need a new Config option or text command. We have one to ignore other players' Trusts but not our own Trusts. There is seriously never a time where I need to tab-target a trust; the F2-F6 keys will always work for my own trusts. Targeting them with the tab key is redundant. Unless you're playing on a controller, the Trusts being in the tab-target routine is a nuisance, so let's add a new Text Command:

/ignoremytrust
    /ignoremyfaith

Would then ignore trusts in your own group in addition to all players' trusts.

We can take this a step further:

/ignoreparty

Would also ignore party (but NOT alliance!) members because again, F2-F6 exists.

These alone would hugely cut down on the tab-target frustrations that we face in FFXI, and making them text commands makes it optional so that those people who insist on using controllers won't have to complain.

But that doesn't solve the accidental mis-target problem, but it would go a long ways. We could make tab-target prioritize enemies that are in combat with us (I hate targeting some stupid enemy that's 50 feet away while something is smashing my face right in front of me and isn't claimed so <bt> isn't going to work).
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 02-10-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Player
    <bt> also goes wonky if there are multiple targets involved. If you fighting a single target but get an add, sometimes it works, sometimes it targets the add, sometimes it simply fails to work period. I've even seen it try to target unagro'd targets on the opposite side of the room far out of casting range while my group had 1x claimed + 1x add slept... :-/

Can you please reconfigure <bt> so that it can only target something claimed (red text name) at the very least? It would be perfect if it would limit itself to your last target in the case of multiple claims, but eliminating non-claimed targets would be a greatly appreciated adjustment.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I've never seen <bt> target anything NOT red.

Though I will say one thing I hate about <bt>.... here's a situation:

1). Be in a group with someone else.
    2). Pull 3-4 mobs.
    3). Someone else kills the mob your on and starts swinging at the next.
    4). Mob you're on is still standing there, but dead, because of a spell animation.
    5). Your character puts away weapons, OR, you were using magic.
    6). Do a /ta <bt>.
    7). <bt> keeps selecting the dead mob until the spell effect that's making it stand there with 0 HP finally ends and its name finally turns grey.

EDIT: Also, one thing I would LOVE if they would do, is that your character should NEVER sheathe their weapons upon killing a mob if there is something else attacking you, regardless if it is behind you or in front of you. I hate that. It is SO inconsistent, sometimes my character will put her weapons away even when it is 2 feet in front of me, chewing my face off. It can waste nearly 10 seconds, especially if the stupid thing uses an ability or animation.

EDIT2: This is especially aggravating if you're the PT leader and you have Trusts out. You're dying, and you got a Trust Healer who won't do anything unless you're swinging at a mob... and your character stands there going "Duuurrrrrr" while you're getting pounded to death because he/she decided to sheathe weapons when there was another mob attacking you and now decides to just stand there while a spell/ability animation is playing despite your repeated commands to attack it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 02-12-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    I've never seen <bt> target anything NOT red.
    I have and it is as equally annoying as being forced to listen to a nightcore remix of an old Chipmunks song on infinite repeat... ~_~;;

EDIT2: This is especially aggravating if you're the PT leader and you have Trusts out. You're dying, and you got a Trust Healer who won't do anything unless you're swinging at a mob... and your character stands there going "Duuurrrrrr" while you're getting pounded to death because he/she decided to sheathe weapons when there was another mob attacking you and now decides to just stand there while a spell/ability animation is playing despite your repeated commands to attack it.
    An oddball workaround for that:
    1. Before your current target dies, reposition so that you are facing the secondary target.
    2. Before your current target dies, reposition the camera so that the secondary target is slightly to the right of center screen.

It may be annoying to have to do this every time, but the auto-target system is affected by onscreen POV. Auto-target also aims left-to-right, so if the secondary target is to the left of your primary, then it may not get picked up. -_-;; In multiple target conditions, as long as you maintain proper positioning/facing, you should be able to "engage" and turn on Trusts even if your weapons are still sheathed. I do this all the time in Dynamis and my record for kills-before-drawing-weapon is 14x. XD

---------------------------------------------

Something like <te> <ste> ("e" = "enemy") could be helpful in restricting legal targets to potentially hostile targets. This would at least filter out green named npcs, trusts, group members and pets. <bt> is already supposedly determined by enmity, so not really sure that another enmity-based targeting mod would be needed.
    I think that fixing <bt> to function as advertised would probably solve this issue.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 02-13-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”