Thread: FFXI Cost

Character
    Firesong
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

FFXI Cost

Ok, I was wondering this and I think many others have as well... The 'cost' of FFXI seems to have gone UP not down... When I first started this game, it was cost of game + one character as one cost. Now it seems you have to pay for game and all characters are an added cost. This game has been out for years and years, why has the cost not gone down? If Square Enix wants to attract more people, this game needs to change with the times and the cost needs to be decreased. Make it like FFXIV and have it a flat rate no matter if you have 1 or 16 characters... That would make it more appealing to some. They already added cost for extra space like FF14, so why not change pricing system to match? Another thing, with this game not getting any more major updates, it should be lower per month... There is no reason to force players to pay for the same content that has been out for years and years. Give it another 2~3 years and this game will either be dead (due to poor management) or someone will have copied its data and made it into a game that is a free to play with all the added content. We all know there are free servers out there, but those are locked at the 75 cap. A few years from now if SE doesn't do something, this game will be F2P because they refuse to change their old outdated systems for FFXI. Love this game and have been an avid supporter of it since release but I think we all can agree it needs a change in how its being ran, would hate to see this game be destroyed due to poor management.
    (1)

as far as i am aware, their cost hasn't gone up, if you live in a country outside of JP,US,EU, you have to pay currency exchange, otherwise the cost remains the same as before.
    I believe they stated officially before something about the costs not going down for them since the cost of maintaining the game remains high(Considering inflation i wouldn't blame em), so they had no intention of lowering it. i read about that a few months ago so idk when/where the official thread for that is.

as for ff14, they had no choice in the cost of that because of the wreck of 1.0
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Ok, I was wondering this and I think many others have as well... The 'cost' of FFXI seems to have gone UP not down... When I first started this game, it was cost of game + one character as one cost. Now it seems you have to pay for game and all characters are an added cost. This game has been out for years and years, why has the cost not gone down? If Square Enix wants to attract more people, this game needs to change with the times and the cost needs to be decreased. Make it like FFXIV and have it a flat rate no matter if you have 1 or 16 characters... That would make it more appealing to some. They already added cost for extra space like FF14, so why not change pricing system to match? Another thing, with this game not getting any more major updates, it should be lower per month... There is no reason to force players to pay for the same content that has been out for years and years. Give it another 2~3 years and this game will either be dead (due to poor management) or someone will have copied its data and made it into a game that is a free to play with all the added content. We all know there are free servers out there, but those are locked at the 75 cap. A few years from now if SE doesn't do something, this game will be F2P because they refuse to change their old outdated systems for FFXI. Love this game and have been an avid supporter of it since release but I think we all can agree it needs a change in how its being ran, would hate to see this game be destroyed due to poor management.
    For $12.95 a month, you are getting a whole lot of gaming for your money. $12.95 per month is like the price you pay for four takeaway coffees.
    If you bought a round of drinks at a bar, you'd probably be buying 3 months worth of sub.
    It really is a small amount of cash.

They have no reason to drop the fee, it makes no business sense to do so - I seriously doubt it would attract more people even if they dropped it down to say $4.95 a month.

Some people have numerous characters too which probably costs them in the region of $51.80 per month based on 4 characters - which they are happy to pay.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Some people have numerous characters too which probably costs them in the region of $51.80 per month based on 4 characters - which they are happy to pay.
    You don't need to pay $50 for 4 characters unless you want Concurrent Characters.

Characters past the first are only $1 but you can't have them logged on simultaneously, and if you were going to multibox, you might as well just use Trusts, lol.
    (0)

Character
    Sylinath
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    You don't need to pay $50 for 4 characters unless you want Concurrent Characters.

Characters past the first are only $1 but you can't have them logged on simultaneously, and if you were going to multibox, you might as well just use Trusts, lol.
    The point of multibox is value.

Simply adding a second account more than doubles your income.

If the cost of accounts dropped then more accounts would be bought. (ex if it only cost $5 instead of $13 I'd probably 6box. the income potential would be absolutely insane. its almost worth it at the cost its at now.)
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

I was referring to people using multiple accounts (ie dual/tri/quad boxing).
    (0)

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    and if you were going to multibox, you might as well just use Trusts, lol.
    Pretty sure trusts don't get anywhere near the power of buffs cast by players. A COR mule, for example, you cast once every 8 minutes, GEO not much less. etc... Yes, Healers or DD's don't work but enhances are VERY easy to control along with a main character.
    (0)

Player

I have not ever seen any Trust MB for 99k like my dbox will for me. Or be a BLU like my dbox will for me. :3 And yes, my bill for 2x accounts is $43/mon. I <3 my many mules. If they dropped the fee, I'd just make more accounts so I'd end up paying at least the same (and probably more)... Afterall, I've got two desktops that don't get used for anything else just collecting dust atm, so that would bring me up to 4x boxes to play with including the two laptops I use now. XD
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”