Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Walk of Echoes questions

In trying to get Rudra's storm for family member's THF, we simply cannot find Coins of Birth anywhere on our server. One night, I saw a JP person according to FFXIAH who had them, but by the time I logged on, they were gone and we've not seen any since.

So, we started doing Walk of Echoes.

According to wiki, Coin Pouches drop from Confluxes 1-7 and the Dice/Residue drop from 8-15.

Simple enough.

The content is rather easy (unless it surges, obviously) and so we've been doing a Conflux 1-7 run once a day for a few days now.

However, I've some questions...

1). Commenters on FFXIAH mention that stuff is supposed to drop from mobs, and wiki mentions treasure chests spawning throughout the zone as you kill junk, but we have never, ever seen anything like this happen?

2). Is there a way to increase the quality of your drops? On average we see a coin pouch (almost never Birth, though... lots and lots and lots of Advancement, Ruin, and Decay.... but almost never Birth or Glory) maybe 1 out of 3 runs between the two of us and sometimes the items that come out of the chest leave quite a bit to be desired (Flint Stones, Meteorites, etc).

3). Once a WoE surges.... how long does the surge last? Is there a way to choose to do the NON-surged version (I didn't see any option like that in the menu, but meh)? Obviously, family member and I aren't going to be soloing (or, well, duo-ing) a 119 Walk. Just for lulz, I stepped into #1 when it was surged and it took 30 seconds+ to kill a single crab and the first group of 4 made it clear it was impossible to solo even with a full group of trusts (I'm assuming the 3 boss crabs' Mega Scissors are probably one-shot to anybody but a PLD, given how much the non-surge ones hurt).
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    What you have read is outdated information (I feel into the same trap a while back) - That's how WoE used to work, with coffers appearing during fighting the mobs in zone. Now, the one and only coffer is opened at the end in the main hall when the zone fight is over.

You will get the best drops when it is surged. There is more chance of quality drops too.

Come 11th of Feb - all zones will be surged until the end of the month. Normally (on a populated server) there are enough people doing it for your family member to simply get involved and get the coins they need.
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    What you have read is outdated information (I feel into the same trap a while back) - That's how WoE used to work, with coffers appearing during fighting the mobs in zone. Now, the one and only coffer is opened at the end in the main hall when the zone fight is over.

You will get the best drops when it is surged. There is more chance of quality drops too.

Come 11th of Feb - all zones will be surged until the end of the month. Normally (on a populated server) there are enough people doing it for your family member to simply get involved and get the coins they need.
    Not sure I'd call Sylph a "Populated Server". It isn't utterly dead, but I wonder how many people would really be there on a regular basis.

So basically, what you're saying is that we are on a time limit, because we have pretty much zero hope of doing it while it is surged. At least tonight we got lucky -- we got enough coins for both of our dagger WS's, because several Birth pouches dropped (kinda wish they were more random rather than dropping the same pouch repeatedly in a night).

We tried 8-15 tonight, and outside of #10 being outright impossible because of AoE Doom Spam (seriously? Why hasn't this been patched out, seeing that it is literally impossible to low man something that AoE's Doom?), we managed to get a bunch of dice/residue too.

I'm hoping that between now and the 11th, we can get enough dice/residue that we can grab our Rudra's and be out before everything is surged lol.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is that we are on a time limit, because we have pretty much zero hope of doing it while it is surged. At least tonight we got lucky -- we got enough coins for both of our dagger WS's, because several Birth pouches dropped (kinda wish they were more random rather than dropping the same pouch repeatedly in a night).
    What I'm saying is that the surged event normally brings in a lot of people who spam it. This would be a good chance for you to join those people in zone, and get the coins etc that you have been after.

Doom = Bring lots of Holy waters
    (0)

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    Not sure I'd call Sylph a "Populated Server". It isn't utterly dead, but I wonder how many people would really be there on a regular basis.
    If Sylph is anything like Leviathan, there should be plenty of people doing the surge walks.
    (1)

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    If Sylph is anything like Leviathan, there should be plenty of people doing the surge walks.
    Even as dead as Phoenix can be WoE is packed during campaigns.
    (1)

Player
    Just make sure you kill at least a couple normal mobs so you are eligible for spoils. :x
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”