Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Su1 Gear... Purpose?

So I'm trying to figure out what's the purpose of Su1 gear.

Side-by-side comparison, they seem rather..... lackluster. I think what SE was trying to do with this, was give the players some non-Battle Content gear if they did a "little" (lol) grinding for Capacity Points to get it, but the problem is...

1). There is already lots of 117-119 gear available easy for Lv99, whether it is Reforged AF+1, or even Sparks of Eminence gear (even though they are a bit gimpy).

2). It takes a whopping 1,500,000 capacity points to get Su1 in the first place, and by the time you FINALLY do this, you get to use Su1 weapons! Oh wait, you probably already have better. And what's worse, when you first start to get CAP, it takes forever if you're rather new to being Lv99 (you need all of the bonuses before you start making anything that can be called "good" CAP). Getting 120-150 per kill, it takes ten thousand kills to get Su1 in the first place.

During that 10,000 kills, you should easily get enough Sparks of Eminence to get full RAF+1, quite easily. And if you follow the Tutorial->Intermediate RoE questline, you'll also have ASkirmish weapon which is better than the Su1 weapon already.

The daggers in particular are leaving me and my family member scratching our heads. We've compared them stat-by-stat against other similar weapons, such as the 117 daggers available for sparks or bayld (Homestead). The raw damage on the Su1 dagger is rather low at 90 (there's lots of 119 daggers that have 100+) and I'm not really seeing any redeeming qualities. They are barely better than the Homestead Dagger from the looks of it, and are certainly worse than Alluvion Skirmish dagger (which has a damage of almost 110!).

The armor doesn't seem to fare much better either; I've compared it to Reforged AF+1 (which is far, far, FAR easier to get) and it still doesn't seem all that great.

Is there something here I'm not seeing?

What exactly IS the use of Su1 weapons, when it is far likely that even the casual player who does zero battle content at Lv99 would find it easier to get comparable, or better gear by other means?
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 01-19-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Character
    Sylinath
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    At the time... they were good pieces.

119 has a progression scale. su1 existed at a time when some of them were best in slot. That's no longer the case. Square has completely abandoned the "su" progression that they had planned. Which is good cause it was even worse than basic igarbage.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Domille View Post
    At the time... they were good pieces.

119 has a progression scale. su1 existed at a time when some of them were best in slot. That's no longer the case. Square has completely abandoned the "su" progression that they had planned. Which is good cause it was even worse than basic igarbage.
    I was playing during the time they added the Job Point System, and I remember at the time, both my THF and family member's THF were using the 117 daggers, which the Su1 daggers are *barely* better than.

And I'm pretty sure (not 100% sure?) that Alluvion Skirmish was a thing, because I remember seeing Eudeamon items on the login point moogles.

That's why I'm confused -- there might have been a few BiS Su1 pieces, but at least the daggers.... the daggers are terrible compared to stuff that was already in-game at the time.

And yes, they really need a better indicator of the gear scales, because once you get to 119... it's nearly impossible to tell what is better.
    (0)