Character
    Zerius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Oboro Club and Katana

Greetings All,

I was wondering if there was any particular reason why the Oboro club/katana only give +228 weapon skill instead of +242 like all of the other weapons? It really hurts accuracy. Especially for WHM, which doesn't have access to a lot of physical accuracy in the first place.

Thank you!
    (0)

Character
    Eckamus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I always thought it was odd that they would make JSE weapons that don't correspond to the 119 norm, since all of the other weapons do.
    (0)

Character
    Zerius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Yeah, I don't understand it. I've lately been trying to make a melee set for my WHM for fun and you'd be surprised at how few hammers have +242 club skill and they're pretty tough to get hold of.
    (0)

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    While I don't like the situation myself, the reason is because they wanted these weapons to have lower than usual attack, but still the same (if not more) level of accuracy.
    "Skill" is a stat that grants both attack and accuracy. The peculiarity of this stat, is that it only affects the current hand, and not the other.
    +attack and +accuracy stats instead affect both hands.
    Lowering the skill of a weapon means only the hand wielding it will have lower accuracy/attack, noth both hands.
    They tried to compensate for the 14 less skill by adding a very high amount of +accuracy on those weapons (+27), which will apply to both hands.

Also do not forget that the accuracy caps are different for both hands. Main hand accuracy caps at 99%, offhand accuracy caps at 95%.
    This means that if you have equal levels of accuracy on both hands, it means that either main hand will be lower that cap, or that offhand will be above cap.

Once you accept the idea of using Sindri and Shigi as offhand, they're actually very awesome weapons. Shigi is so far still the best offhand for NIN when you're in need of accuracy, for instance.
    (6)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Hello, everyone!

Zhronne has essentially nailed it on the head in terms of the explanation for why both Sindri and Shigi have a lower “Accuracy skill” rating than other Oboro weapons.

If you look at Sindri’s “Accuracy +” stat, combining what is on the weapon in addition to the maximum that can be added through augmenting, it is a total of +77. Likewise, Shigi has a total of +77 as well.
    Compared to other Oboro weapons, these have the highest amount of “Accuracy +” which allows them to function very well in the off-hand.

Hopefully this helps explain the difference!
    (6)
    Aya "Sicycre" Montoya - Community Team

Character
    Zerius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Thank you for the response, Sicycre! Definitely helps clear it up.
    (0)

Character
    Zerius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicycre View Post
    Hopefully this helps explain the difference!
    Sorry to come back to this, I'm sure you're busy but it made me wonder about Divinity. The Sinister Reign club from Sajj'aka, it's the only weapon besides Humility that only gets +228 skill. However, Humility at least gets +242 parry skill. Is there a reason for this? Divinity doesn't get the amazing Accuracy bonus that Sindri does. Thank you in advance and sorry to bother you, its just frustrating trying to find weapons as a WHM. :P
    (0)

Character
    Obysuca
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerius View Post
    The Sinister Reign club from Sajj'aka, it's the only weapon besides Humility that only gets +228 skill. However, Humility at least gets +242 parry skill. Is there a reason for this?
    But Humility gets +242 gs skill o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Sicycre View Post
    If you look at Sindri’s “Accuracy +” stat, combining what is on the weapon in addition to the maximum that can be added through augmenting, it is a total of +77. Likewise, Shigi has a total of +77 as well.
    Compared to other Oboro weapons, these have the highest amount of “Accuracy +” which allows them to function very well in the off-hand.
    Only the highest by 7 accuracy(a couple oboro weapons have 70 acc), which really isn't that much, especially when other jobs that have a 242 skill can dual wield (like blu), even though it has 27 less accuracy, iirc, that extra accuracy doesn't make up for the lower skill. I remember back before RoV, using an i115 weapon with +45 accuracy didn't make up for the 20ish? skill difference of an i119 weapon with no accuracy.

Also, by that logic of it having more accuracy because it's in the off-hand, shouldn't both of the h2h be buffed a little more then? Seeing as they're not exactly two handers, so you can't use a grip with them, but they're also not one handed so you can't dual wield.
    Bit off-topic, but it kinda fits in with the whole weapon thing but overall, h2h just needs a buff because it's kinda crappy atm. I can ws on my geared out mnk and pup, do about ~7k,, more around 4k-5k consistently, but if I switch to my gimp (under 1k accuracy, still 119) war, sam or drg, I can easily do 10k+ consistently. Even my blu that's decently geared, but no where near my mnk and pup, can consistently do 10k-12k ws, sometimes more.
    (0)
    Last edited by Obysuca; 01-21-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerius View Post
    Sorry to come back to this, I'm sure you're busy but it made me wonder about Divinity. The Sinister Reign club from Sajj'aka, it's the only weapon besides Humility that only gets +228 skill. However, Humility at least gets +242 parry skill. Is there a reason for this? Divinity doesn't get the amazing Accuracy bonus that Sindri does. Thank you in advance and sorry to bother you, its just frustrating trying to find weapons as a WHM. :P
    The reasons for Divinity to be the way it is are likely similar.
    Let's consider Divinity with max augments, it's a multipurpose club with an unusual amount of attack and a high base damage, which is quite beneficial as a DPS club, especially for the main hand (check the high delay too, this paired with high base damage usually means it was meant to be a mainhand DPS weapon).

Yet, in spite of all of what we just said, Divinity has 228 skill, wondering why?
    You should imagine this club with the old level 75 era model to create items. Back then negative stats on equipment were pretty common and used as a mean to compensate other positive stats.
    Imagine this club as a 242 skill club with a -accuracy stat on it.
    They didn't want to put -acc on it, so they just used 228 skill and instead raised further the attack values (so that it's at least the same -actually higher- as it would've been with 242 skill).

Imagining Divinity as a 242 club with -acc maybe helps you get a better idea of why it has 228 skill, which is an unusual number for a weapon clearly meant to be used in the main hand.
    (1)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.