Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    That's fine, but at the end of the day those people, regardless of how well they're doing, are losing out on a better experience.
    This is why he keeps arguing. No matter how much Afania says NotAsura may be better for some, you keep saying his reasons aren't valid with "Nope, Asura is better for everyone."

Remove the technical hurdles from the equation (no fee, names that don't meet a certain criteria released, more ??? locations, no server lag, etc, etc)
    And then you list some pretty big problems with switching to a bigger server? You're not any acting any different from Afania.
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    So what if someone pay $13 a month just to chat with 3 person on server, enjoys quiet server, hates politic talk in yell, and don't play the game to grind gears?
    Someone that doesn't care for the grind and hates political discussion in yells won't have much to worry about. Like one of my friends, they can hide in their mog house/garden when in town. If they're out of town, as they would be most of the time, they don't see yells. They just quieted the entire server with practically no effort. They could also, you know, download Discord or some other voice/chat service like a growing percentage of the player base and avoid FFXI altogether if they're only interested in chatting.

My American friend wanted to rip his hair out anytime politics came up in linkshells or party chats. He's put more time on Asura than I have since our move and he still has all his hair, so there's that.

But at least I'm well aware that nothing makes everyone happy
    Bingo. Now, do you see how this favors the argument of pushing for transfers/merges and eliminating quiet servers when we agree that bigger is better?

If your vision for a game is to have thousands of players come together and tackle common goals, then build it. If your vision for the game then changes and makes it far more accessible, then go ahead and apply those changes, too. What we're stuck in now, however, is some half-measure where the game appears to be trying to cater to both the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer - trying to make everyone happy - while also abandoning a core design principle, one that defines the MMORPG genre. This not only results in worlds of distinctly different sizes separated by $18 paywalls, but also complicates the creation and management of content, not something you want to impose onto a skeleton crew of a development team.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but continuing to cater to smaller and ever decreasing population sizes signifies that they are aware of the consequences and don't want to stem to tide. They have FF14, after all. If you're fine with this and don't much care for the long term prospects of the game then all is well. If you want to see the game carry on for a few more years I wouldn't sit idly by while the server sizes continue to shrink. Sooner or later the comfort you find on a server with 250-300 accounts will give way to a struggling economy as the JP players realize the NA/EU crowd isn't contributing their fair share to make it all work, in effect bringing the 24/7 persistent world to a standstill.

there will always be some of people out there that's not happy with server merge. Back then when FFXI had server merges, there were drama/unhappy people etc.
    That's a natural human response. The merged servers took a few days/weeks to settle in together and get used to the new world order. Despite all the attention and exaggerated claims made both in game and on message boards in regards to that first merge, what happened one year later? They merged a whole new set of servers. In other words, the ends justify the means, "you've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette," [insert your favorite cliche here]. The servers and game as a whole was better off despite the complaints some of the louder opponents of the merges made.

At least I'm aware of the fact that everyone is different and nothing is perfect, unlike some people in this discussion aren't, then just assume everyone will be happy ever after with merges.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    And then you list some pretty big problems with switching to a bigger server?
    Those aren't technical hurdles against server transfers for individuals or groups of players/linkshells, they're hurdles for larger scale shifts in populations such as server merges. Context is important.
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    In other words, the ends justify the means
    You know, you're sounding like some sort of tyrant from my high school text book now. Or stereotype antagonist from Japanese anime. Thank god you're not the FFXI decision maker working for SE, everytime dev used "the ends justify the means" as an excuse to push some design or game decision, players rage quit.
    (0)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Those aren't technical hurdles against server transfers for individuals or groups of players/linkshells, they're hurdles for larger scale shifts in populations such as server merges. Context is important.
    None of the things you listed are unimportant to individuals/groups transferring servers.

Bingo. Now, do you see how this favors the argument of pushing for transfers/merges and eliminating quiet servers when we agree that bigger is better?
    Didn't Afania say he'd be okay with merges because it maintains personal connections? I know it wouldn't bother me because it wouldn't sever any possible connections with returning players. The only issue I'd have is possible forced name changes.
    (2)
    Last edited by Folken; 01-13-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Ample time is not required to level a job nowadays. Log in during a Gain EXP time period for RoE, and during a double EXP campaign if you can. Find someone who is BST or BLU to take you into Reisenjima, and let them cleave mobs while you have the RoE objectives set. WIth that setup, it only takes an hour (less during double EXP) to go from 1 to 99 on a job.

It is generally expected for a player to have about 5 or so jobs they can bring to events, to cover the bases. Nobody plays just a single job anymore. RDM was outshined by GEO having more potent buffs and debuffs, and by them not being able to be resisted or dispelled.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Ample time is not required to level a job nowadays. Log in during a Gain EXP time period for RoE, and during a double EXP campaign if you can. Find someone who is BST or BLU to take you into Reisenjima, and let them cleave mobs while you have the RoE objectives set. WIth that setup, it only takes an hour (less during double EXP) to go from 1 to 99 on a job.

It is generally expected for a player to have about 5 or so jobs they can bring to events, to cover the bases. Nobody plays just a single job anymore. RDM was outshined by GEO having more potent buffs and debuffs, and by them not being able to be resisted or dispelled.
    Would like to add that you don't even need Reisenjima Access.

The problem with doing it by Reisenjima, is you will have a job on Lv99 with 0 skill, if you did 1-99 leveling there. Then you gotta stop and go get the skill, which can be annoying. But anyways...

Today, I took my BLU from 63 to 99 in about 5 hours. It was just me, and a "meh" geared THF (family member) duo. We started in Kamihr Drifts because we needed some Raaz Hides (and the Tusks were nice too!), while Gain Experience was up. We got my BLU to 86 Then it changed to Physical Damage Kills and we re-located to Cirdas and the other 13 levels in there within a couple hours.

The whole time, I was spamming a few low-level BLU spells to keep my skill leveled, and I wound up capping my Blue Magic skill before we were done (I ate skillup food).

But anyways....

I'd like advice of my own.

I have almost all jobs on Level 99 (Dancer, Ranger, Ninja, and Beastmaster are the only 4 I don't have done now), but I have almost no Job Points for any of them except Warrior, and most of the jobs are missing Group 1/2 Merits, and most of the jobs do not have much of any gear to speak of.

I assume I can't just show up to an Ambuscade wearing Sparks equipment, so surely you say "everybody plays multiple jobs".... I'm assuming you gotta at least do some work to get the relevant stuff? My question is, how much stuff does one need?

I have a full suit of Cizin+1 which covers WAR, PLD, DRK, and something else. I have the Beatific Shield+1, and a couple weapons I got out of the gobbie boxes (Anahera Sword, I think it's called, for example). I have full THF AF+1, Gendewitha+1 (but I think I'm missing a few high level spells on my WHM -- not sure). I haven't played WHM in ages anyways; I really don't know much about their new job abilities like the Afflatus ones, and I don't have any good weapons for it anyways (just sparks/homestead weapons).

The problem I'm finding, is that I'm just..... lost. I don't know what sort of progression paths there are, I know there's 3 million different "Endgame" events... there's Skirmish, Alluvion Skirmish, Delve, etc. I don't know what I can solo, what I can't, what jobs people want for what, and while I have jobs on Lv99, they are sorely lacking in gear (especially Jewlery/Capes/etc!)

I look at the AH, and the Jewelry I see there doesn't "look" very good (but then I don't really know what to look FOR) except for one piece I want for my THF mostly for solo (that nobody ever sells)...

I guess I'm just...... lost and don't know what to even think about doing next. Every time I see an Ambuscade shout, it is always "SCH/BLU/GEO" and sometimes WHM thrown in. I know absolutely nothing about playing a Scholar, and I haven't gotten my Geocolures yet (I have just been loaded down with SO much to do because of these campaigns) and my BLU just dinged 99 today (and as such is missing a boatload of spells).

My WAR is rather decent, though. Fully Mezzotinted Lekbohza, Cizin+1 ('cept the gloves, I got Macabre+1), though again jewelry blows (I've heard the Rajas Ring is still good, though?). Dunno where to find actual decent jewelry I have access to.
    (0)

Player
    Right now, I highly suggest you take your highest ilvl job and kill dragons :3

The current Domain Invasion campaign actually lets you have a shot at getting some very nice JSE weapons from Escha-Ru'aun and top-tier gear from Reisenjima, just for "participating" (hint: means "get elvorseal status from entrance npc and be in the arena" not "hit the dragon"). Drop rates are not super amazing, but hey, its basically a shot at free GOOD 119 gear. In addition to the special campaign drops, you can still get the normal drops from the dragons, most of which are solid placeholder/niche pieces that are AllJobs and really convenient to have around. PLUS, so long as you are in the arena (w/ elvorseal status) you get kill credit towards some very useful vorseals which will help you do anything anytime you are in one of the zones.
    (Zi'tah=AutoRegen+1, Ru'aun=AutoRefresh, Reisenjima=Acc+5, per tier.)

If you haven't touched DI yet, think of it as a world boss that anyone can jump in on and everyone is eligible for loot at the end.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 01-26-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Right now, I highly suggest you take your highest ilvl job and kill dragons :3

The current Domain Invasion campaign actually lets you have a shot at getting some very nice JSE weapons from Escha-Ru'aun and top-tier gear from Reisenjima, just for "participating" (hint: means "get elvorseal status from entrance npc and be in the arena" not "hit the dragon"). Drop rates are not super amazing, but hey, its basically a shot at free GOOD 119 gear. In addition to the special campaign drops, you can still get the normal drops from the dragons, most of which are solid placeholder/niche pieces that are AllJobs and really convenient to have around. PLUS, so long as you are in the arena (w/ elvorseal status) you get kill credit towards some very useful vorseals which will help you do anything anytime you are in one of the zones.
    (Zi'tah=AutoRegen+1, Ru'aun=AutoRefresh, Reisenjima=Acc+5, per tier.)

If you haven't touched DI yet, think of it as a world boss that anyone can jump in on and everyone is eligible for loot at the end.
    Half of what you said is Japanese to me, lol. Vorseals? Never heard of them. Other than a few mentions here on forums of course.

I've literally done absolutely nothing in the Escha areas. So, you're saying that I just show up at Escha-Ru'aun, and get this "Elvorseal" status off the NPC? Is it free? Does it cost Silt or anything like that? etc.

Do I gotta be near the dragon? etc etc.

EDIT: So, after a bunch of digging around, finally found the info... wish SE woulda made some kind of newbie guide or something so that newbies would actually know what they're talking about, lol. And now half of the week is gone already. Ah well hope I can get at least one or two pieces.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 01-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    Half of what you said is Japanese to me, lol. Vorseals? Never heard of them. Other than a few mentions here on forums of course.

I've literally done absolutely nothing in the Escha areas. So, you're saying that I just show up at Escha-Ru'aun, and get this "Elvorseal" status off the NPC? Is it free? Does it cost Silt or anything like that? etc.

Do I gotta be near the dragon? etc etc.

EDIT: So, after a bunch of digging around, finally found the info... wish SE woulda made some kind of newbie guide or something so that newbies would actually know what they're talking about, lol. And now half of the week is gone already. Ah well hope I can get at least one or two pieces.
    Looks like you found some of your answers already on your own, which is a good thing! XD I'll still answer in case it helps someone else..

"Vorseals" are the zone buffs for RoV zones (Escha-Zi'tah, Escha-Ru'aun, Reisenjima). There are tons of 'em to collect... Each poppable "Geas Fete" NM has an associated vorseal that gets unlocked for purchase with silt from entry NPCs. There are also a huge portion which are unlocked by completing content outside of Eschas, like getting nation rank10s, completing expansion mission lines, chocobo racing, and other activities. (Suggest you reference the Escha page on bgwiki for the full discovered list if you are interested.. link here) The awesome thing about them is that they apply full strength to all of your pets and trusts and you regardless of your level! This means that if you go into Escha-Zi'tah at lv40, you get the same bonuses as if you were 99. Mobs in there range from 50-109, so this makes it the best zone to level your 2nd+ job in once you've gotten some vorseals stacked up.

Domain Invasion is totally free to participate in. I believe there is a level restriction, but don't remember what the minimum level is. The only other restriction on participation is that you have to have access to the zones to begin with.

The basic flow for Domain Invasion:
    1. Talk to the npc near the entrance of the zone.
    2. Get Elvorseal. The npc will offer to warp you to the dragon.
    * When the dragon spawns, a 30min timer will pop up in the upper lefthand corner of your screen. If the dragon is not defeated within that timeframe, it will despawn. When it repops 15min later, it will have the same HP amount as when it despawned last.
    3. Fight the dragon. :x This should go without saying, but you get nothing if the foe is not defeated.
    * This is an ilvl119 open event, so any/all players who want to participate can. If you are newer to 119+ content and/or below ilvl119, then I highly suggest you keep a form of Reraise up at all times due to high damage AOEs. Trusts are callable even during combat, so take advantage of this!
    *. So long as you are within the area defined by the glowy blue marker line things, you will get credit for the kill towards unlocking that dragon's vorseal when it dies. Even if you are dead when it happens.. So don't homepoint warp if it looks like others are going to be able to take it down! If the dragon is defeated, then any dead players will get a free Reraise as well.

I don't know what the population is like on your server, but on Asura, the dragons are all going down in 1-3min which makes it really easy to get kill credit right now. The campaign drops make it even better since you have a (small) chance of getting some really great gear even if you aren't able to contribute much due to gear/merits/JP.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast