Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The job restriction "makes sense" in that it gets people to play other jobs. But it also sucks, cause good luck getting DRG cards. PUP cards. MNK cards. etc.

If you didn't lock cards to jobs, everyone would just pet zerg every boss.

Middle ground is exceedingly small.

10:1 is INSANE though.

I will say this though, some of the gear is totally legit, but most of it is meh at best. 20 hour locking it, and making it take 20 days per piece of +3 is pretty disgusting.
    (1)

The job restriction is bad when you personally favor one job but are needed on another. Some jobs just flat out out-perform other jobs.

My Runefencer will probably benefit the most from these upgrades from the jobs I play (JSE is very important to RUN) but there are definitely times when my PLD better serves the group. I have gone PLD to a few and collected a few cards but I'd rather be on RUN. My RUN uses a few pieces of herculean but actually gets use out of JSE. PLD's JSE, being far less impressive for stats PLD wants, sits on slips mostly.

The system, imo, just asks you to choose whether you care about group progress or personal progress first, unless you happen to get to play job you want anyway.
    (1)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    In Theory, as a static it works perfect. You rotate who's turn it is to get "main job cards". Everyone slowly (emphasis on SLOWLY) wins.

It's how I ran salvage. one guy got the plans for his job, till he got a piece > next player.

As anything other than an organized static party of 6, it's totally unreasonable. Which is how the majority play.

But I can 100% see why they want this to be the way it's done. Can't fault them for WANTING it to be like that, but those days are gone for most of us.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    That's the problem with this games player base. They resort to the least fun, least interactive, slowest and least efficient way to do things.
    (0)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    That's the problem with this games player base. They resort to the least fun, least interactive, slowest and least efficient way to do things.
    Welcome to the species. That's a solid HUMAN issue. Not an ffxi issue.

Yeah, I could put square tires on my car... and be the only badass with sweet kicks... or I can just go the path of least resistance and use the round ones.

(I'll let you in on a secret, this game is not "entertainment" it. is. a. job. anyone who tells you different or thinks different is lying/fooling themselves. The objective is always to do it the most efficient way.)
    (0)

Character
    Clemontine
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 5
    Welcome to the species. That's a solid HUMAN issue. Not an ffxi issue.

Yeah, I could put square tires on my car... and be the only badass with sweet kicks... or I can just go the path of least resistance and use the round ones.

(I'll let you in on a secret, this game is not "entertainment" it. is. a. job. anyone who tells you different or thinks different is lying/fooling themselves. The objective is always to do it the most efficient way.)
    No, it's not.

Personal Anecdote: Some time ago I was doing Avatar VD fights. We were doing PLD RNG RNG COR BRD WHM. It was taking us 20 to 25 minutes to kill it. I managed to convince them to have the COR RNG RNG go DNC/RUN THF/RUN THF/RUN. Kill time went down to 5-10 minutes, and we had TH 13 on almost every fight.

This pissed the BRD off. We were doing it 'wrong'.

A lot of the time it's not about efficiency. It's about following the first discovered successful strategy to the letter, even if something else comes along that works better, because there's only one "right" way to do it.

It also comes down to efficiency is sometimes not "what works best and fastest" but "what is the most idiot-proof strategy".

This is particularly frustrating, as oft-times you can take a variety of jobs and still get it done, or get it done faster and easier than what the community is willing to take, and this shuts out a lot of people from playing on jobs they want to play.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Yeah, people play this game wrong and in the most inefficient way possible.
    They play it "safe" and "first known strat/working strat" even if said strat takes 30 minutes instead of 5 minutes with a proper set up.

This games player base is really stuck in their ways, it's awful.

Playing with full mage/pet/ranged set ups isn't fun in the slightest and makes the game boring as hell.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 12-22-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    The job restriction "makes sense" in that it gets people to play other jobs. But it also sucks, cause good luck getting DRG cards. PUP cards. MNK cards. etc.

Middle ground is exceedingly small.

10:1 is INSANE though.

I will say this though, some of the gear is totally legit, but most of it is meh at best. 20 hour locking it, and making it take 20 days per piece of +3 is pretty disgusting.
    Yeah something like 3:1 would be a lot more acceptable. Atm player can't change jobs to something different and play for fun, nor run with a more optimal setup because of the job card lock.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Taken quote from another(horrible) website:
    And currently Omen would get ruined if you could spam it. If they add in more stuff there's a chance they could uncap it and give it plenty of playtime for people. Not saying they're going to develop logically, but the lockout is there because people like me quit with nothing to do and the 20 hour lockout on Omen keeps me from finishing it in a week and quitting again.
    This is why we can't have nice things. We have people who actually think this content is "good" and would be "ruined" because they don't have self control.

So SE decides to ruin this content for the majority of their player base to cater to the small minority with no self control that burns themselves out and consumes content immediately? Why cater to a small minority over your majority?

Ugh.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Taken quote from another(horrible) website:

This is why we can't have nice things. We have people who actually think this content is "good" and would be "ruined" because they don't have self control.
    And yet the majority of FFXI's content was always designed with lengthy refresh timers. It literally wasn't until "recently" did they actually design content to not have really long refresh timers, so the whole "feeling forced to play" has been relevant in XI since the dawn of the first end-game system in the game. You're only "forced" to play if you force yourself to play and not play because you want to.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast