Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    I totally just want to see a baby Gnole or even a Soulflayer ... The Lamiae drop Chimera Blood ....
    Given the origin of soulflayers and lamiae (which may be a spoiler for you so I won't go into detail), I don't see them adding these to "monster rearing". Even other beastmen could arguably have "souls" (that goblin kid in Jeuno who tried to unite humans and goblins), and to say you are going to raise one in a garden could be seen as cruel.

There shouldn't be any reason I can't harvest things all day if I want to.
    There are still some profitable things out there, namely Ebisu rod fish, but for example, people are also now farming hmps with chocobo digging. You could argue that there are faster ways to make gil, but I can see why they wanted to use a limit so that it doesn't get out of control.

I check frequently for the Cheval Salmon and the Gugru Tuna for the sublime sushi, but they aren't there in most cases. ...they're asking for the Salmon Croupe... It's just frustrating I can't get or do what I want with crafting.
    Salmon can be fished in the stream right outside Sandy; it will yield either salmon or trout, so it's not that hard to fish up a stack in 10 minutes. And the salmon croute recipe yields 1-4 croute per synth, and the NPC will only let you turn in 12, anyway, so this shouldn't have been an issue. As for tuna, I get 0-2 a day from my net in mog garden on each character. My mules are overflowing with tuna for when I actually bother to sit down and make sushi. This really shouldn't be an issue either.

Fishing should also get a chance for skilling with how fast you input the commands while playing the mini-game.
    I don't get what you're saying here. Obviously you are skilling by playing the arrow game. Is the rate of skilling not fast enough for you? With the rings, the synth belt, and especially the food made specifically for skilling fishing, this craft was by far the easiest to level.
    (1)
    Last edited by Vashkoda; 01-12-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Simple solution is to grow them in your mog house. From 6-8 pots you can harvest stacks with ease.
    Simpler solution is to remove "Region" specific items and make them all available.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Vashkoda View Post
    Given the origin of soulflayers and lamiae (which may be a spoiler for you so I won't go into detail), I don't see them adding these to "monster rearing". Even other beastmen could arguably have "souls" (that goblin kid in Jeuno who tried to unite humans and goblins), and to say you are going to raise one in a garden could be seen as cruel.
    I know their origins, but even given that, they still have to procreate to continue to pose a threat, otherwise they'd never survive the first year of conflict (I have a theory of how they do it, but I'll leave that for another day). It's shown that many of them have emotions, and so it's not outside the realm of normality that you could be doing a kind service of raising one of these Beastmen to be a kind and loving being. One that you send out into the world to show that peaceful relationships can exist. (As well as give me KIs to make things better )

There are still some profitable things out there, namely Ebisu rod fish, but for example, people are also now farming hmps with chocobo digging. You could argue that there are faster ways to make gil, but I can see why they wanted to use a limit so that it doesn't get out of control.
    There are much more effective ways to get the plates now that they're a prize offered in Ambuscade. And if someone wants to flood the market with fish, let them. It'd rather them be able to fish all day and actually have supplies on the AH then set some limit. And kudos to them to have the stomach to fish all day, because I despise it (But I hate fishing IRL and every video game). Beside, A person could in theory flood the market with Dynamis coins/Alexandrites/Plutons/Etc, which is far more game impacting than someone being able fishing/log/harvest/mine all day.

Salmon can be fished in the stream right outside Sandy; it will yield either salmon or trout, so it's not that hard to fish up a stack in 10 minutes. And the salmon croute recipe yields 1-4 croute per synth, and the NPC will only let you turn in 12, anyway, so this shouldn't have been an issue. As for tuna, I get 0-2 a day from my net in mog garden on each character. My mules are overflowing with tuna for when I actually bother to sit down and make sushi. This really shouldn't be an issue either.
    Thank you kindly, but I know where the fish comes from, I just don't have the skill level to catch them reliably, I was only rank 8 when I tried (Currently 10). And no offense to this, but I shouldn't need to have an army of mules to get the supplies I need to craft. I have 1 mule to hold the extra stuff I have (Abyssea +2 Items, Pops, Dyna Stuff, etc). It would be different if I could pull the nets up once every 2-4 hours or so. It being a once a day thing, that shouldn't be seen as everything is fine.

I don't get what you're saying here. Obviously you are skilling by playing the arrow game. Is the rate of skilling not fast enough for you? With the rings, the synth belt, and especially the food made specifically for skilling fishing, this craft was by far the easiest to level.
    What I'm talking about is like the SMN's skill route, where every action has a chance to offer a skill up. The higher the fish's skill cap over your current skill rank the better the chance of skilling up with each input. Fishing is the only craft that actually requires interaction, doesn't have skill tomes, and has a chance of finding nothing even with multiple castings. It wasn't so bad when you could get a fish's gauge low and still pull them up; however now, you almost certainly will break the line unless it's 100% depleted. And isn't the Synth belt a guild point item? Can I trade in guild point items for Fishing if I'm contracted with Cooking? Also, I'm not aware of this fishing skill up food, could I get the name of it? (Edit: I found it, and it says that the Fisherman's Feast was an event item, making that point kind of moot.)
    (0)
    Last edited by Zeargi; 01-13-2017 at 02:25 AM.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I shouldn't need to have an army of mules to get the supplies I need to craft. I have 1 mule to hold the extra stuff I have (Abyssea +2 Items, Pops, Dyna Stuff, etc). It would be different if I could pull the nets up once every 2-4 hours or so. It being a once a day thing, that shouldn't be seen as everything is fine.
    It's free fish - what more do you want? And FYI, before the bonanza, I only had 1 mule, and yet I still had enough tuna lying around that I had to start having friends hold them for me. I don't even know why you're complaining about the tuna, I find the sole much more annoying to collect (and they even stack!).

Fishing is the only craft that actually requires interaction, doesn't have skill tomes, and has a chance of finding nothing even with multiple castings. It wasn't so bad when you could get a fish's gauge low and still pull them up; however now, you almost certainly will break the line unless it's 100% depleted.
    It also doesn't require crystals, and consistently uses only 2 mats--a rod and bait. If you use a lure, you don't even lose it after each use, and as long as you don't attempt to fish up anything with a "terrible feeling" message, you are unlikely to break your rod. And you should be trying to reduce a fish's stamina to zero before you reel it in anyway; as you mentioned, the more effort you put into catching a fish, the more likely you are to skill (if you find yourself not having enough time, use the rings that build up your endurance or reduce the fish's stamina). I get what you're saying with the changes, but my point is that these are different crafting types, and it's not appropriate or even necessary to try to apply the rules for one to the other.

And isn't the Synth belt a guild point item? Can I trade in guild point items for Fishing if I'm contracted with Cooking? Also, I'm not aware of this fishing skill up food, could I get the name of it? (Edit: I found it, and it says that the Fisherman's Feast was an event item, making that point kind of moot.)
    Since you don't seem to be aware of them, look up the Records of Eminence of Fishing (general) and Fishing (tenacity). The belt and food are among the many rewards (along with several other helpful items). Btw, you definitely get enough of the food to last you to 110 skill (I even ended up giving a ton away).
    (1)
    Last edited by Vashkoda; 01-15-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Player
    I like the idea of additional chances for skillup based on playing the arrow minigame well. ^^ If there are worries about floods of fishermen depopulating the waters due to increased ease of leveling, then it could still be limited to 1x skillup given per cast, basically just adding more checks done to ensure that you get one and possibly adding to the value. (Something like 100% chance of skillup on a catch that you hit every arrow and/or an extra +0.1 skill gained.)

As one who's modern fishing experience has been limited to fishing in SSG for quest items, failing miserably and hitting my fatigue limit w/in 10min, anything that could be done to ease the difficulty of the lower levels would be greatly appreciated. (1-70 maybe guaranteed skillups like crafting is now?)
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 01-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Player
    It just took me FIVE REAL LIFE DAYS to fish up a Norg Shell on a mule for his Sahagin Key.. (Which is needed to get past the stupid door in SSG so I can unlock Impulse Drive.) It took me 5 days because he had 0 fishing skill, and fatigue was kicking in after 10-20 casts per day. -_-;;; I don't really understand the details about modern fishing that well, so I'm assuming that fatigue is connected to skill in some manner..

My question now is, would it really be a bad thing to remove the gathering fatigue system entirely? Is there really any economic risk remaining nowadays if there were no caps on casts/harvests? When the system was originally implemented, it was to combat RMT activity, but how many RMT are still hanging around? I'd imagine that the influx of gil from uncapped fishing/mining/etc would be less than what even sparks have made available, so are there any HELMF items that are a higher profit/time ratio than selling sparks gear? If not, what is the justification for the system remaining? We now have access to most materials thru Mog Garden, so why not remove the fatigue system to make actual gathering less unattractive?
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Fishing up certain items in SSG creates more fatigue than normal. This is because back in the day, you had lots and lots and lots of bots fishing down there, flooding the market with certain things, like Coral Fragments. SE wanted Coral Fragments to be next-to-impossible to get, because for some reason, they wanted Bonecrafting to be absolutely ridiculous to levelup. Now, it's Smithing that gets the shaft, lol.

Nowadays, I never see anybody fishing, so I think that they could lax up on the rules concerning fishing just a little, especially when a lot of those ingredients don't make anything relevant to Lv99s anyways.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    When the system was originally implemented, it was to combat RMT activity, but how many RMT are still hanging around?
    Lots and they blend in quite easily these days.
    (0)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    It just took me FIVE REAL LIFE DAYS to fish up a Norg Shell on a mule for his Sahagin Key.. (Which is needed to get past the stupid door in SSG so I can unlock Impulse Drive.) It took me 5 days because he had 0 fishing skill, and fatigue was kicking in after 10-20 casts per day. -_-;;; I don't really understand the details about modern fishing that well, so I'm assuming that fatigue is connected to skill in some manner.
    Isn't that 10-20 cast fatigue only present when you are below level 20 or something?
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    Isn't that 10-20 cast fatigue only present when you are below level 20 or something?
    They were fishing in SSG.

Certain items cause a LOT of fatigue in there, because of all the RMT bots that used to flood Coral Frags on the market.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast