Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kalz
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1

Please do something about direct x problems on newer laptops/desktops

My gtx 970m is just not working with the game. I've tried so many things but the game just doesn't detect my card. It's a choppy mess in game when I try to play no matter what the setting.

I really want to play and I'm sure there have probably been plenty of potential players who've been turned away from the game due to lack of optimization.

There probably is some hidden and huge complicated work around but players shouldn't have to jump over those hurdles just because they have a newer computer.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    (Edit: I realized that this is a different issue, but I'll leave it here for others that might be having problems- In your case,y ou may just need to update your graphics drivers.)

there isnt a huge and complicaetd workaround but there is a simple one.

In winsows 8/8.1/10, go to Settings -> System -> Apps and Features. Click the link "Manage optional features". Look for "Graphics Tools" in the list and install it. This installs older directx components that are no longer installed by default in Windows.

In windows 7, you can find this in control panel -> Programs & Features, and click Turn Windows Features on or off. It's under the Legacy section.

I know several people that couldnt get the game to work and this solved their problem.

You do realize though, that this game is and always has been a choppy mess compared to games today right? No matter how old or new your system is, the FPS drops a lot when things get busy, and the FPS is capped at 30 anyway, so even at its best it will look choppy comopared to modern games.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Character
    Kalz
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    You do realize though, that this game is and always has been a choppy mess compared to games today right? No matter how old or new your system is, the FPS drops a lot when things get busy, and the FPS is capped at 30 anyway, so even at its best it will look choppy comopared to modern games.
    I played the game on my old laptop with no issue. However on my new system things are pretty much semi slideshow status.

Thank you I'll try the graphic tools recommendation.
    (0)
    Last edited by Calypsx; 11-20-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You also want to make sure that the game is using your 970m and not the intel graphics solution on the processor

Right Click on your desktop and select nVidia control panel, Under 3D settings select "Manage 3D settings, select the "Programs Setting" tab click the "add" button, select "All Play Online Games" from the drop down menu. Then make sure 2. "Select preferred graphics processor for Program" is set to either "Auto Global Select (NVidia GPU)" or "High Performance nVidia processor"
    This helped me out with some of the issues I was having on the laptop, my frame rate improved quite a bit and the game pad I used was more responsive after switching over.
    (0)
    Last edited by Teraniku; 11-20-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teraniku View Post
    You also want to make sure that the game is using your 970m and not the intel graphics solution on the processor
    I came here to post this. Your video driver likely doesn't detect FFXI as a game as it's a 14 year old game.
    and the FPS is capped at 30 anyway, so even at its best it will look choppy comopared to modern games.
    Not a console gamer, eh?
    (0)

Character
    Kalz
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Tried everything but nothing is really working. It's still kind of slide show status.

Might be some other thing like firewalls or it's just not detecting it despite the settings change, I give up for now and will try again later in the future.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Not a console gamer, eh?
    I don't get your meaning?

The difference between 30fps and 60fps is night and day. Unless your video card is crap virtually any PC game can play at 60fps (or more); I have a Wii U and all the games I play on it do 60 FPS.

FFXI isn't a console game (anymore) so why would I compare it to consoles anyway?
    (0)

I was making a jab at console games. Many, many console games max out at 30 fps. Framerate isn't a priority for many developers, just flashy effects. It's one of the biggest points for the "PC master race" crowd.
    (2)

The difference between 30fps and 60fps is night and day. Unless your video card is crap virtually any PC game can play at 60fps (or more); I have a Wii U and all the games I play on it do 60 FPS.

FFXI isn't a console game (anymore) so why would I compare it to consoles anyway?
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...a-diel-Project

What do you mean that it's all integrated?
    Matsui: When we designed the development tools, we created an integrated environment so that we could control all of the resources on PS2 development equipment. All of the graphics resources and music were also made relative to the PS2, and those were then transplanted to the Windows version.
    Saito: The PS2 environment is at the heart. So even if we remove that support, we're stuck with it. We once thought it would be good if we could specialize on the Windows version, but we weren't really able to pull it off. Since it was originally released as a PS2 title, the PS2 environment was the primary focus. The camera functionality and even event scenes were made on PS2 equipment. But as the equipment is aging, we're not left with much to develop on.

The limitations from it being developed with PS2 devkits are inherent to the core game infrastructure. It is still a PS2 game ported to PC, coping with embedded limits in the program from the PS2 version, and with none of the original PS2 dev staff around to fix the issues now. One of those limitations is that the game is coded to run at no more than 30 FPS. The way to force it to run at 60 is glitchy.

The DirectX problem is because the game is coded for DirectX8.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff11...interview.html

Is a DirectX upgrade still in the works?
    For us to upgrade to the latest version would also take too long to develop and then to debug, so we are just working on improving the existing DX8 setup.

This was in 2007, when the game still had full development staff and many of the original programmers. They felt it was too expensive and time consuming to upgrade to newer DirectX then. Newer graphics cards don't natively support DirectX8 or 9, and send those calls to the CPU or the GPU built into the CPU. nVidia cards on laptops now all use Optimus, linking the nVidia GPU through the Intel CPU's built-in GPU, and sending DirectX 8 and 9 calls to that instead of using the nVidia GPU. This is a hardware path, so it can't be overridden. FFXI is a DLL file launching from another application, so the override in the control panel doesn't work. Graphics hardware has grown past good compatibility with software this old. The whole game would have to be overhauled to be brought up to DirectX11 or 12, which would require a lot of financial investment, and time with a full development staff, and revitalizing an old MMO to make it attractive to new players hardly ever works. It's a big risk with a low chance of payoff. FFXI Mobile has more chance to pull in new players, since it is releasing on a platform, and in countries, where a lot of people don't have an opinion of the game.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    I'm not sure why you quoted me? I've r ead and seen all this information before and it doesn't really seem like a response to my post.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-21-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast