Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

FFXI windows 10 gamebar with controller problem

So I tried to use the windows 10 gamebar to make a recording of ffxi. But pressing the guide button on the controller wouldn't bring it up. I had to press win+G to make it appear and couldn't navigate it with the controller either and had to click record.

So gamebar works, but you can't activate it or use it with the controller.

It's only a minor annoyance but it is something I've only come across with ffxi and I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix it?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    It seems like, due to FFXI being an old game and handling some things in odd ways, that it "takes over" the controller input for some reason or another. Although the built in gaming features in windows 10 are a nice addition, you may have better success using other software for recording. While OBS Studio is designed for streaming, it can also be used to do local recordings.

As for a fix, I do have one idea. If you are currently using DirectInput for FFXI's controller inpt, go into the game's config tool and switch to Xinput- Support for this was only added very recently, so it is possible that you are still using DirectInput and switching it may address the issue. (If it is already on Xinput, try switching back to DIrectInput and see if that has any effect).
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Unfortunately already using Xinput as I use a 360 controller and switching to direct input (assuming it even works) would just be trading one annoyance for another as it would mean losing access to my triggers.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If you're using a tool to make the game borderless window or something, that could be interfering. You would probably have to switch to an "official" window or fullscreen.
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Nope, everything official. I've tried both windowed and borderless windowed. Gamebar works its just with keyboard only.

It's just a shame cause using the controller (and being free) is the main draw of the gamebar over other software for me.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 11-16-2016 at 01:57 AM.