Character
    Roechan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

New player; will this game die soon?

(Ok, I'm not really a new player, but haven't played seriously in like 10+ years. Needless to say the entire game is pretty different.)

I'm currently trying to finish the Aht Urgan story. Then I'll proceed to finish all other story content.

What to do when I'm finished with that? Is it soloable to finish all of the story, including newest expansion? So far, being lvl 99, it's been a cake walk.

And what to do after? I got the "default" ilvl117(ish) gear from the record of eminence thingy. I'm guessing some sort of equipment grind...?

Is the grind even worth doing considering the game my die in the very foreseeable future?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Roechan View Post
    What to do when I'm finished with that? Is it soloable to finish all of the story, including newest expansion? So far, being lvl 99, it's been a cake walk.
    A few missions might prove challenging depending on your skill level, gear and trusts, but it can all be done solo.

And what to do after? I got the "default" ilvl117(ish) gear from the record of eminence thingy. I'm guessing some sort of equipment grind...?

Is the grind even worth doing considering the game my die in the very foreseeable future?
    Grinding for the sake of grinding is never worth it, you should have a reason to want that gear in order to make it worthwhile. Personally, I've put a lot of time into this game over the years, my friends are slowly losing interest and after the responses given at the recent Reddit AMA I'm wondering the same thing you are. Right now Asura's active community is the reason I haven't dropped my subscription yet, but paying close to $20/month (mules, wardrobes) for a glorified chat app isn't something I think I'll do for very long, so I'm hoping they have a little more than just an endless stream of Ambuscade and Master Trials planned.
    (1)

Well you will need better than 117 gear to finish the story solo, I think. So that is one reason to at least do a bit of current content.

The only reason to play the game is cause you like playing the game. I resub every once in awhile and try to get some new shinies for my character and do quests, but unfortunately the content ladder is a bit broken. Basically when I can make my own goals I enjoy the game, but I frequently get annoyed that there seems to be no possible way for me to get to a place where I can play with others consistently as a contributing member of groups.

As for the game dying, well, I think it will continue for some years, I can't imagine it costs a lot to keep running it. As long as there are a few thousand people paying 15-25 a month to play it, it will keep going.

But really, I don't see any reason to grind for gears unless it brings you joy or helps you accomplish something you want to do.
    (1)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Roechan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Thanks!

From what information I have now I think I'll finish the story and then at least try some of the endgame stuff. If it's enjoyable enough I may continue, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Of course, no one grinds just for the sake of grinding.
    (1)

Of course, no one grinds just for the sake of grinding.
    You'd be surprised. Some people use gear/weapons as a goal so they have something to do when they log on and once they obtain them they wind up quitting, essentially making that grind quite pointless.
    (1)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    You'd be surprised. Some people use gear/weapons as a goal so they have something to do when they log on and once they obtain them they wind up quitting, essentially making that grind quite pointless.
    It's never pointless if it makes someone else jealous. Things are temporary, glee from jelly is forever.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    It's never pointless if it makes someone else jealous. Things are temporary, glee from jelly is forever.
    lol, while petty, I have to agree.
    (1)