Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66

An in-depth job?

G'day forum goers,

How are we all? I decided to put this post up in the hopes of obtaining some information on what jobs are fairly indepth! I returned to the game not too long ago and got my first 99 just last weekend. It was BLU.

I really like BLU however, after reading a few guides and getting some info from my fellow linkshellians, it has come to my attention that BLU mainly equips spells to assist in melee DD rather than euip to use and blow up mobs. I'm really not a fan of white swinging.

With that said I decided to look into my next job to raise to 99 and what I am specifically looking for is a job that is indepth. For me, that's a job with a button always to press. To be on my toes and alert. I don't mind support however I will say WHM is not my flavour. I just can never get into healers in mmo's, I like to hurt stuff!

I found DNC to be quite indepth, I liked building and spending finishing moves, applying debuffs while buffing my own party and dealing out the damage. On the other hand, THF to me seems ok but, the JA's just are too far and few between and I'll be sitting there watching him white swing most of the time.

I'm curious about RUN I will say...

So my question to you all would be, what do you suggest? I'm not fussed at all about end game relevance or representation, I just want something fun, indepth and highly enjoyable!

Thanks so much for your time
    (1)

Check out COR. It's a unique job that can do some decent damage and brings great support to party play. A downside is that a lot of gear for COR is only good for COR.
    (1)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    SCH might interest you, since it can fill 2 roles it's always doing something, it can nuke, heal and buff as well as managing your stratagems and with occult acumen it also builds tp so you can even throw in some weapon skills. It has a stratagem that lets it make skillchains with spells so you can make a solo skillchain and magic burst it. And it has weather spells which make for an interesting dynamic way to buff your nuke damage and accuracy.
    (1)

Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    So basically you want a job that's complicated ("always a button to press") and that "hurts stuff" but not just through white damage. To be clear, have you played those jobs you listed to their maximum potential?

You seem to have nothing but good things to say about DNC, and say you don't care about the job's relevance in endgame, so why not just go with that?

You imply THF is boring, but are you limiting yourself to just using WS stacked with SA or TA? Are you getting tp fast enough to be nonstop WS'ing and self-scing? If not, work on your haste, DW, DA/TA, stp. Are you limiting yourself to solo play? (in which case capping magic haste might be an issue). If you play in parties, are you assisting the group in any other way, such as using feint, conspirator, aura steal, and whatever additional moves your subjob gets you?

BLU doesn't just equip spells for traits (which seems to be what you're implying?), but admittedly when you're below the job point categories that buff those traits, your spell repertoire may seem very limited. Certainly some blu spells "blow up" mobs quite well (I love sinker drill myself, especially when paired with a CA-cdc to make darkness, but there's also plenty of strong magical aoe nukes). And like THF, if you're geared right, you can be self-scing nonstop (and can cap your own haste, so you don't even need a party to shine).

If you're used to those three jobs, I have to warn you that swinging with 2-handed weapon jobs is going to feel really slow. Sometimes it gets on my nerves having to wait for my 2H jobs to swing (and if you don't like watching your character just standing there, this may annoy you as well). Of course they all have their own set of job abilities that you can spam while you wait to build tp and ws. But unless you have special moves to help you self-sc (like DRG and SAM), you aren't going to be "blowing up" mobs on your own. In a party, those jobs can shine as long as there are support jobs dedicated to helping you reach haste cap as well as fill any other gaps in your gear (att, acc, stp, etc).

Since you mentioned RUN, I'll say that it's certainly a busier tank than PLD, since it had a lot of party-support functions as well. But it won't exactly "blow thing up", either (unless you have a ton of party support, really top end gear, and gimp your tanking efficiency by going /sam). I'm always happy when I can MB with a lunge and get respectably numbers, but otherwise I'm not playing RUN to do damage (except indirectly by helping the nukers do more damage).

You can argue that support jobs can melee *some* if they want to change out of their casting gear and get in harm's way and be constantly losing tp when they have to switch their instruments/weapons all the time. I'm not sure I'd recommend that. (of course, COR is an exception, since it can build tp just by shooting/using shots from a safe distance, and does respectable WS damage). SCH, BLM and even GEO, RDM and SMN pets can nuke/MB of course, if you're ok with not swinging at all. PUP is another job that can be kept busy, but with the auto's move set predetermined when you call it out, there isn't much variability during a single sitting.
    (2)
    Last edited by Vashkoda; 09-29-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If you want a job with "depth" (the meaning of this is subjective" regardless of popularity, I'd suggest PUP or BLU. I don't think this needs an explanation but look these jobs up on a wiki. RUN also seems like a busier job than the average.
    (1)

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    DNC and PUP.
    (1)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Hey guys,

thanks for all the replies and apologies for my late one. Also thanks for your suggestions, I am looking into PUP, SCH and RUN.

@Vashkoda thanks so much for your insightful reply. I will say that no I haven't played any of those jobs to their potentional. I have only just recently have got BLU to 99. I thought THF may be a bit boring as to reading up on lengthy cooldowns on the very few abilities they have. I understand it could be a different ball game at the end of the game.

I am enjoying DNC. It does have its faults like weaving in steaps, samba's etc which cause quite a bit of delay but, its quite engaging.

As for BLU. What I'd like to do is build a spell set towards being mainly a magic DD however, I cannot seem to find a guide anywhere for it. I have read a few (closest date is 2015) and they have stated to load up on melee traits and mainly dual wield for DD.

I was wondering if you may know of a great spell set for magic dd or an up to date guide on BLU? That would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

Once again thank you all for your replies!
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I was wondering if you may know of a great spell set for magic dd or an up to date guide on BLU? That would be awesome and greatly appreciated!
    I'd suggest Spicyryan's Out of the BLU guide.
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I'm curious about RUN I will say...

RUN in this game is primarily a tank job. As a tank it excel at 4 main area: Status resist, magic damage taken, parry/blink tanking and gambit/rayke.

This job has much higher magic evasion and magic def bonus from job trait/gifts, so it takes less magical damage and will be more likely to resist status ailments such as para stone etc, even without using any JA. It also has very high parry rate, and very high fast cast, so it also excel at /NIN blink tanking the enemy since you can keep Utsusemi: Ichi up nearly full time.

It's currently one of the hottest endgame tanking job because it has the ability to boost BLM nuke dmg by using job ability Gambit/Rayke.

That being said, it has less HP than a PLD, and are considered to be harder to play than PLD by the community. If you enjoy a busy tank role job, it's a great choice. But if you enjoy hitting things as hard as possible, then I wouldn't recommend it.

According to my spreadsheet, DD RUN only comes close to real DDs such as WAR(no MS) when getting unrealistic attack buffs, and use aeonic + very top end gears. Even then it's still a tad below none MS WAR and if you don't have aeonic it's even further behind. On my spreadsheet a fully buffed at capped pDIF, Montante+1(best none REMA DD GS without using random augment system) RUN is at least 1200 DPS behind equally buffed/geared lionheart RUN. Not to mention the job has less offensive JA/spell/trait than most other DD.

In other words, if you're just starting out as a new/returning player, without awesome gears and unrealistic strong buffs, you aren't going to deal a lot of DPS, especially if you consider how much attack buffs a DD RUN needs which also aren't realistic in most pt.

If you enjoy hitting things hard and play complicated/busy job, I wouldn't recommend RUN, personally. The situation that RUN can perform well as a DPS role is just too niche. Most of the time you'll probably see an equally geared BLU winning parse.

However if you enjoy tanking and play a complicated/busy job, then RUN is a great choice. You don't really need awesome gear to tank well on RUN, as long as you know the job. The job as a tank performs well even with mostly 119 empy and cheap/easy to obtain gears.

If you're looking for a complicated/busy or hybrid DD job that DPS well in most situations, BLU or DNC is probably a better choice.
    (0)
    Last edited by Afania; 10-02-2016 at 06:07 PM.