Character
    Cheyrn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Confused about traverser stones

I have 2000 something traverser stones listed as currency, which I guess means stored with Joachim. If I go to Joachim, he gives me 3. I then spend many more than 3 in Abyssea. I haven't counted, but essentially, whenever I have run out of time I just exit, enter again and request visitant status over the course of many days.

But, occasionally, I get the message that I don't have a traverser stone when I enter Abyssea.

Aside from that, at least one main quest required me to have a traverser stone "in my inventory". Getting Joachim to give me traverser stones seemed to allow the quest to be triggered, though there were of course no traverser stones in my item inventory.

So, when do I need to go get some of the traverser stones and when do more appear without me going to get them?

Right now is a good example. I exhausted all of my time and was ejected maybe 20 hours ago. When I entered again, I was told I had no traverser stones. So, Joachim gave me 3. But within Abyssea I requested 120 minute which used 4 traverser stones. Where did the extra stone come from?
    (0)
    Last edited by cheyrn; 09-17-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Player
    Check your Key Items. If you have "Traverser Stone" listed, that would be what is meant by "in your inventory."

Think of it this way: "Currency" listing is what Joachim is holding onto for you, but you can only hold 3-6 at a time in your KIs (depending on your Abyssea mission progress.) The amount of time each stone gives is also affected by atmas & ROV KIs.
    (0)

Character
    Cheyrn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Take today as an example: The conflux surveyor said I don't have a traverser stone. So, I talked to Joachim who gave me 3 traverser stones. After entering Abyssea, I requested 120 minutes which said that it used 4 traverser stones. I was given 3. I used 4. Where did the 4th stone come from?

After the last few weeks it has been very many more than 3 that I have used after being given 3.
    (0)

Character
    Cheyrn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    To add another example. This time I checked the key items. So, I got 3 from joachim. In my key items I had 3.

I then entered Abyssea, used 2 and saw I had 1 key item left.

The next day I had 1 traverser stone key item. I went into Abyssea and used 1.

Then today, I checked and I had no traverser stone key items. So, without seeing Joachim I entered abyssea and requested 90 minutes which says it used 3 traverser stones. So, I got 3 and used 6. How does that work?
    (0)

It's not working as intended. I've been using traverser stones without having any in my KIs as well. It's not taking any from my stored amount either.
    (0)

Character
    Cheyrn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    The number of traverser stone key items I have does reduce each time I use one, if I have been given stones by Joachim. After 3 I continue entering without having a traverser stone key item. And the very first time after being given 3 I have used 4.

After some number of times, over the course many days, I was told I did not possess a traverser stone. I immediately went to Joachim, got more stones and could enter right then after getting the stones.

So, my original question was what determines when you need to have a traverser stone key tiem, since it is not the number of stones I am given by Joachim.

The description of main storyline quests in Abysssea, on another website which rhymes with Eh fecks I encyclopedia:

You must have a Traverser Stone in your inventory to start the quest, or you will simply be allowed to enter with no cutscene.
    Which implies that you are granted entrance even if you don't have a traverser stone. And twice I have caused the main storyline quest to start by leaving Abyssea, getting a traverser stone from Joachim and reentering Abyssea.
    (0)
    Last edited by cheyrn; 09-25-2016 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyrn View Post
    I was told I did not possess a traverser stone. I immediately went to Joachim, got more stones and could enter right then after getting the stones.
    This happens when you have no traverser stones any 0 time remaining in Abyssea.

So, my original question was what determines when you need to have a traverser stone key tiem, since it is not the number of stones I am given by Joachim.
    You always need a traverser stone or time remaining to enter Abyssea

Which implies that you are granted entrance even if you don't have a traverser stone. And twice I have caused the main storyline quest to start by leaving Abyssea, getting a traverser stone from Joachim and reentering Abyssea.
    You can always enter Abyssea if you have a traverser stone or time remaining inside. It seems to be currently bugged, allowing you to add time even if you have no traverser stones in your key items.
    (0)
    Last edited by Catmato; 09-25-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Character
    Cheyrn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Most of the information about how to complete quests etc. comes from people speculating. The speculation has a point which is that people find out how to play the game as a result.

Some speculation that people use to know how to play the game includes speculation about bugs. In other words people don't just throw their hands up and say it's a bug therefore I will randomly bash into things from now on.

Someone who wants to know how to play the game might want to know when they need to get traverser stones from Joachim, since you clearly do have to get them periodically, and it is clearly not when the traverser stone key items are exhausted.

I was thinking that what might have happened last time was that I played for 2 hours straight and then reentered Abyssea. So, the rate at which I spent stones was faster than the rate at which Joachim produces them. But, then I was able to simply get more stones and enter immediately.

If that were true, then it would mean, bug or no bug, you have to get traverser stones from Joachim if you spend them faster than he can create them, whether or not your play time started with you having a traverser stone key item.
    (0)

I think you are over-thinking this. From the time Abyssea was released until some recent undetermined time, you couldn't spend traverser stones unless you had them in your Key Items. That is how it's supposed to work, and if they had changed it intentionally, they would have said something in some patch notes at some point. It's not simply an unannounced change, otherwise traverser stones would be detracted from your stored amount.

In order to trigger the initial quest cutscenes, you need to have a traverser stone in your inventory because the quest-giver says something like "I see that strange stone you're carrying". I can't test this because I'm finished with it, but from what you've said, it's working as intended.

You're sometimes told "You do not possess a traverser stone..." when attempting to enter Abyssea because you have no traverser stones in your Key Items AND you also have no time remaining balance inside.
    (0)

Player
    If this is still bugging you, you should just file it as a bug report.
    (0)