Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Thanks Saefinn, I appreciate the response! So with BLU, at higher levels I can expect to get a better mp usage and be able to.cast more spells? Atm I can only afford to chuck 1 spell in every now and then and i really want to do more!

Also with nin, does the haste affect spell casting? I played around with it yesterday and wow, the ichi spells took forever to cast! It kind if really put me off. I really enjoy casting as opposed to 'white swings' I guess it just bores me in the levelling process and i give up. Perhaps I should keep going on my sch

Thanks again
    (0)

Haste doesn't make you cast faster, but the Ni level elemental spells at 40 cast significantly faster, as well as being more damaging.
    (0)

Character
    Shyles
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    For cast time reduction regardless of the job, you'll want to make a Fast Cast pre-cast set.

As far as melee goes, Ninja is a very good job. It has high damage output, and have means of self-capping delay reduction like BLU or DNC. It's also kind of reemerging as a preferred tank for several encounters thanks to Utsusemi: San and gear improvements.

It is possible to nuke with Ninja but to be honest, that's not going to be your primary method of damage dealing. Some ninja's have been able to MB Apex monsters for 99999 damage with Futae and proper buffs. But Ninja's don't get quite as much MAB and MACC gear as perhaps SCH or BLM, so there is a ceiling to content in which Elemental Ninjutsu is really practical outside of lowering resistances. So the high damage elemental ninjutsu is more of a fun gimmick kind of like PUP nukes. They can do lots of damage on some things, but no one is going to substitute a Ninja or Puppetmaster in place of a BLM on anything serious.

As far as nuking with BLU, there are a few things to keep in mind. Blue magic is very different in many ways to elemental magic. Most of your spells are either melee-ranged, cone, or radial AoE up to 12 yalms. The selection of useful ranged magic-based spells isn't very big, so Blue mage isn't typically played as a traditional ranged nuker. Your physical spells can miss just like any physical attack, and your magic spells can only be bursted once every 1.65 minutes with Burst Affinity.

Nuking sets for Blue Mage are most commonly used when AoE farming, soloing certain Escha NMs, and in Vagary. In almost every other situation, Blue mages are used as melee DD. The real strength of magical blue spells are powerful AoE attacks paired with useful status effects. Entomb for example is a high-damage radial AoE spell that also petrifies enemies in range. So you can imagine how useful that is when dealing with adds in Escha Ru-Aun or low-manning Vagary or Incursion.

While you're leveling BLU, Scholar, or any mage job, my advice is to not worry about MP and just melee lol.. The trusts will do the grand share of the work anyway, especially if you have a combination that skillchain together (Samurais or Morimar+Darcullin) and an obsessive magic burster (Shantotto II). Focus on completing Rhapsodies of Vana'diel before anything else since you get lots of EXP and Skillup bonuses. So you'll reach 99 faster, and you'll skill up easier once you reach 99. Use the time while leveling to skill up Staff, because you're probably never going to do it once you hit 99 unless you want Myrkr lol.
    (1)

Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    I love Shantotto II, she feels quite OP as a trust just because of those well time skills chain finishers + magic bursts. As a SCH main, I get jealous sometimes. It is worth going for it.

As for spell reduction on a NIN, I never really mained a NIN and in fairness have used it more as a subjob, though I do have it at level 95, I know there is a necklace that reduces Utsusemi spellcast time by 10% I think, I do have it, but am not logged on so cannot check. And as said, you don't really blossom with Utsusemi until you get Ni, which is nice, because you can chain them back-to-back. I guess Fast Cast would be logical.

With BLU MP, I think it's more just the case with any mage, we tend to not be so MP friendly to begin with ("MP Whilst Healing" gear is great), BLU eventually gets its own Refresh also Auto-Refresh (spell combos to get the trait) and can inherit Sublimation from SCH and Refresh from RDM. Technically they could get Auto-Refresh from SMN as a sub, but I don't think people really do that? Plus at 99 there some decent Refresh gear, the Eminence i117 mage set will give you +3 Refresh, and you can pretty much jump straight into it when you hit 99.
    (0)
    Saefinn on Asura
    Main Jobs: Corsair: i117, Scholar: i117, Monk: i117, Summoner: i117

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    So with BLU, at higher levels I can expect to get a better mp usage and be able to.cast more spells? Atm I can only afford to chuck 1 spell in every now and then and i really want to do more!
    Blu doesn't become MP efficient until later on when it has access to more refresh, and it does become very efficient in the end. Magic Hammer (The Blu equivalent of Aspir) can completely refill your MP pool regardless of size on the right target, it's pretty insane but you have to be fighting non-undead mobs with MP. For now focus on casting cheap spells that are efficient, buffing, and meleeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Also with nin, does the haste affect spell casting? I played around with it yesterday and wow, the ichi spells took forever to cast!
    "Casting time -X%" and Fast Cast are the only things labelled on gear that affect how long it takes the spell to actually cast, Haste does however affect how long the spell's recast is, (how long till you can cast it again).
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2