Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I wasn't there for any of that, and I won't be there the next random time they do it either.

Good to know though.
    (1)

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I wasn't there for any of that, and I won't be there the next random time they do it either.

Good to know though.
    That's fair enough, just really letting those that will know that they're usually during said campaign rather consistently.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Stop this awful "limited/temporary content" scheme.

It doesn't belong in gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    There's no problem with having seasonal event tie-ins.
    Can people stop defending horrible design decisions? My god, stop letting developers do bad things.

SEASONAL content should only give COSMETICS and FUN items, never items that give you POWER or CHARACTER PROGRESSION. Trusts are PLAYER POWER. They need to be available EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If we continue along this path, we'll be getting "Seasonal" ultimate weapons and armors..oh wait ambuscade has armors already. Ultimate weapons up next!
    (3)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 12-18-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Stop this awful "limited/temporary content" scheme.

It doesn't belong in gaming.

Can people stop defending horrible design decisions? My god, stop letting developers do bad things.

SEASONAL content should only give COSMETICS and FUN items, never items that give you POWER or CHARACTER PROGRESSION. Trusts are PLAYER POWER. They need to be available EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If we continue along this path, we'll be getting "Seasonal" ultimate weapons and armors..oh wait ambuscade has armors already. Ultimate weapons up next!
    I like seasonal/scheduled events and rewards. Just because you don't like that model does not make it horrible design. ^^
    (1)

I like seasonal/scheduled events and rewards. Just because you don't like that model does not make it horrible design. ^^
    It is poor design - from a player's perspective - because the playing field is no longer leveled. Someone with the benefit of having been around during a campaign that offered gear/trusts/whatever is going to have more options available to them than a player that missed out on that campaign. Those of us that login every day already have a huge advantage over those that do not, no reason to exacerbate that divide.
    (4)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I don't understand why ANYONE would like this.
    As explained in Diavolo's post above, it's downright awful for the players of the game.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    It is poor design - from a player's perspective - because the playing field is no longer leveled. Someone with the benefit of having been around during a campaign that offered gear/trusts/whatever is going to have more options available to them than a player that missed out on that campaign. Those of us that login every day already have a huge advantage over those that do not, no reason to exacerbate that divide.
    The thing is, that's nothing new. The vast majority of seasonal events have been on a predictable schedule for years. The trusts/ciphers that got tied to them are also predictable. If you don't login during December, you can't get the Santa outfit. If you don't login during August, you can't get the Mumor trust. There is no real difference in the logic behind that. If you want the reward, then pay your sub and login to get it.

Even non-timed content has issues with latecomers having difficulty completing it due to everyone else having completed it. I was working on my Aeonic 4 days after ROV Ch3 was released because everyone needed it done and I could easily find a group for the last fight. If you are trying to get it done now, it will be a lot harder to find help than it was when the content was new. I've been back since August of last year and still have yet to step into a normal Skirmish for that reason.

Players who've been around for a while will naturally have advantages over those who have not. Not missing login campaigns, seasonal rewards, or extravaganzas SHOULD benefit those who were there for them. I had to unsub last May, so I missed the rewards (including Trusts that I need to complete my collection) but I'm not going to blame the design for that. I'm looking forward to next May when I can finally get them.

The monthly things give at least some of us something to look forward to in-game, and gives everyone additional reasons to continue to pay for the privilege of logging in, especially now that we are in an era where the devs are not going to be able to provide tons of 100% new battle content on a frequent basis.
    (1)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 12-18-2016 at 03:43 AM.

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    The thing is, that's nothing new. The vast majority of seasonal events have been on a predictable schedule for years. The trusts/ciphers that got tied to them are also predictable. If you don't login during December, you can't get the Santa outfit. If you don't login during August, you can't get the Mumor trust. There is no real difference in the logic behind that. If you want the reward, then pay your sub and login to get it.

Even non-timed content has issues with latecomers having difficulty completing it due to everyone else having completed it. I was working on my Aeonic 4 days after ROV Ch3 was released because everyone needed it done and I could easily find a group for the last fight. If you are trying to get it done now, it will be a lot harder to find help than it was when the content was new. I've been back since August of last year and still have yet to step into a normal Skirmish for that reason.

Players who've been around for a while will naturally have advantages over those who have not. Not missing login campaigns, seasonal rewards, or extravaganzas SHOULD benefit those who were there for them. I had to unsub last May, so I missed the rewards (including Trusts that I need to complete my collection) but I'm not going to blame the design for that. I'm looking forward to next May when I can finally get them.

The monthly things give at least some of us something to look forward to in-game, and gives everyone additional reasons to continue to pay for the privilege of logging in, especially now that we are in an era where the devs are not going to be able to provide tons of 100% new battle content on a frequent basis.
    Apparently, they are against SE rewarding the paying customers. Guess that's why so many companies screw over long term customers and only "gift" new customers stuff while loyalty is rewarded with nothing but price rises, it's how people want it.
    (0)

It is relatively new, actually - this never happened in Seekers of Adoulin and everything prior to that. The fact that they added one of the more all-around useful trusts in Koru-Moru to a simple Records of Eminence quest shows that they knew locking him behind time-sensitive campaigns put a lot of players at a disadvantage.

I have every trust. I have every mount. I have afterglowed weapons that I otherwise wouldn't thanks to some of those campaigns, but that doesn't mean I think all is right with the game. I find it would be a lot more beneficial if I could tell a friend to login and go quest Shantotto II to help them XP/CP/quest rather than saying "Wait until summer/winter/whatever for Campaign X." The way the game has been managed in recent years is more welcoming in a lot of ways, no doubt, but it has its fair share of drawbacks, too, and this is one of them. I'm all for earning your rewards on your own time, even those that merely require a few minutes of your time, not simply logging in during the right week/month and snatching it up via some moogle or goblin only to have it disappear for half a year or more.

I'm not sure I can get behind that one. I completed Rhapsodies of Vanadiel on a 99 MNK mule the day the third chapter went live using mostly garbage gear I bought off the AH to get it to ilvl 118, not a single merit or job point to its name, and far from having capped skills of any sort. Iroha can carry that fight long enough for you to recover from weakened state while you resummon trusts and have them engage. Or you can shout for help if you're on Asura or Odin (like everyone should be) and have the fight cleared within a few minutes by an end game player with some free time on their hands. Skirmish is very easy to solo on a fresh character, too.

Players who've been around for a while will naturally have advantages over those who have not. Not missing login campaigns, seasonal rewards, or extravaganzas SHOULD benefit those who were there for them.
    Yes, it should, as long as those rewards do not provide advantages over players that missed them. I mean, I can run around dressed as Santa and joke that it's Christmas in summer if I want because I took the time to do the seasonal event, or swing a level 1 weapon that makes funny sound effects, but that should be the extent of it, level 1 costumes that can be used to have a little fun, not lvl 119 trusts that will blow lvl 125 NMs out of the water. If I were to see everyone around me making short work of content I was having trouble with because I don't have access to the trusts they were using I'd feel like I missed the boat and might be inclined to just come back when they were made available again, assuming I haven't completely lost interest in the meantime.

We have enough to look forward to every month without a plethora of campaigns: more Aeonic runs, more Ambuscade, more Omen, more time ripping off lazy people with too much gil in their pockets, more laughs with linkshell mates/friends, more trolling in /yell, more time working on crafts or getting new jobs to Master. I can keep going, but you get the idea. If monthly campaigns are really the deciding factor on whether you resubscribe every month then I'd argue the game has already lost you.
    (2)
    Last edited by Diavolo; 12-18-2016 at 05:28 AM.

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Are you SERIOUSLY comparing VANITY and COSMETIC items that give ZERO PLAYER POWER to trusts which give PLAYER POWER?

Hello?

To add to this, trusts are new and them being a reward is relatively new as well.
    (2)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 12-18-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast