Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Player Sirmarki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    785
    Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

    Are multi-box players delaying server merges?

    Hi,

    With a lot of players controlling probably 2-4 different characters, I'm going to estimate that 30% or more of the population are multiple accounts controlled by the one person.

    Obviously on paper, this looks like individuals playing...

    Take away the mules, and what do we have?

    So, my question is, do you think this is delaying any potential merges?
    (0)

  2. #2
    Player Diavolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    So, my question is, do you think this is delaying any potential merges?
    The dev team and the remaining players - all of us, not just those playing multiple accounts - are the ones responsible for the delay in server merges. Too many players think only about themselves, they've got all the jobs they care to play at 99 and are already participating in end game content with active linkshells, so they think being on a quiet server is more beneficial to them since Ambuscade has become such a major part of the game. Those who do want the larger, more active servers aren't doing enough to make their voices heard.
    (0)
    Last edited by Diavolo; 08-28-2016 at 01:56 AM.

  3. #3
    Player Vae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    244
    Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The answer to this question, regardless what anyone says, is absolutely yes.

    Multiboxing severely limits the need for other players, because lets be honest, (example)NO ONE is a better whm for me, than myself, and that's true for everyone. If it were "impossible" to multi box, there would be a MUCH larger outcry for merges.

    But as it stands it's better to pay more money, to control more party members, than to rely on randoms. (plus it increases your income pretty dramatically, just sayin).
    (0)

  4. #4
    Player Diavolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Multiboxing severely limits the need for other players, because lets be honest, (example)NO ONE is a better whm for me, than myself, and that's true for everyone.
    You need some better WHM linkshell mates/friends if you're able to outplay them while multiboxing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    But as it stands it's better to pay more money, to control more party members, than to rely on randoms. (plus it increases your income pretty dramatically, just sayin).
    This right here is the real crux of the matter, someone in your position is more likely to settle for multiboxed characters, regardless of how well they play the role, because you're after the almighty gil.
    (0)

  5. #5
    Player Nyarlko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,523
    Character
    Nyarlko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    It's not just gil, you are allowed to farm items for your own use as well. Multiplying your intake of items like alexandrite, plutons, etc cuts your farming time down by the same amount, which makes stuff like REM much more attainable goals for those who prefer to farm their own progress (which would be the main reason I started dual boxing myself.)
    (2)

  6. #6
    Player Diavolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    It's not just gil, you are allowed to farm items for your own use as well. Multiplying your intake of items like alexandrite, plutons, etc cuts your farming time down by the same amount, which makes stuff like REM much more attainable goals for those who prefer to farm their own progress (which would be the main reason I started dual boxing myself.)
    It's the same thing in the end, we're selfish and would rather have an easier time than a more rewarding one. Who cares to socialize and/or compete with 5,000 other players when they believe they can more easily obtain their personal goals with 300? Anything that may possibly present a tougher time - and Ambuscade has become the easiest scapegoat here - also presents itself as a reason against server merges. It's really unfortunate, but we're living in a time where more and more people just want to have things done their way, screw the greater good.
    (0)

  7. #7
    Player Vae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    244
    Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    It's the same thing in the end, we're selfish and would rather have an easier time than a more rewarding one. Who cares to socialize and/or compete with 5,000 other players when they believe they can more easily obtain their personal goals with 300? Anything that may possibly present a tougher time - and Ambuscade has become the easiest scapegoat here - also presents itself as a reason against server merges. It's really unfortunate, but we're living in a time where more and more people just want to have things done their way, screw the greater good.

    If other players were as competent as I am, I wouldn't have to multibox everything, I mean it's that simple. I trust myself to cure myself and na myself waaaaaaay more than some half afk random who hates being on whm, but everyone told him to gear it to get content.

    I would certainly rather pay less money and take people who care enough to be average or better. It's just not an option.
    (1)

  8. #8
    Player kylani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    121
    Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    It's the same thing in the end, we're selfish and would rather have an easier time than a more rewarding one. Who cares to socialize and/or compete with 5,000 other players when they believe they can more easily obtain their personal goals with 300? Anything that may possibly present a tougher time - and Ambuscade has become the easiest scapegoat here - also presents itself as a reason against server merges. It's really unfortunate, but we're living in a time where more and more people just want to have things done their way, screw the greater good.
    I've played a long time, and the reason many of my friends left was the tedium of farming alexandrite, currency, salvage plans, etc. Even though we had linkshells devoted to activities, people got burned out doing the same thing over with folks painfully slowly getting what they needed till in the end, there were too few left to farm. The ability for folks to finally be able to work for the items they want with smaller groups has made things better. Unfortunately, we lost a lot of good players by the time SE starting making things better.

    btw - I don't multi-box and the friends I currently play with don't multi-box, but I have grouped with people who multi-boxed and understand why some do. People don't have all the time in the world and it's understandable that they want to see some results from all the time they do put in. It's not selfish. People pay to enjoy a game the way they want to, not the way you want them to. Personally, I have never been in a rush to get everything, so I do miss the days when we grouped for everything, but so many things are better than they used to be. More choice is good.
    (0)

  9. #9
    Player Diavolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    If other players were as competent as I am, I wouldn't have to multibox everything, I mean it's that simple. I trust myself to cure myself and na myself waaaaaaay more than some half afk random who hates being on whm, but everyone told him to gear it to get content.

    I would certainly rather pay less money and take people who care enough to be average or better. It's just not an option.
    Why do you think that is?


    Quote Originally Posted by kylani View Post
    I've played a long time, and the reason many of my friends left was the tedium of farming alexandrite, currency, salvage plans, etc. Even though we had linkshells devoted to activities, people got burned out doing the same thing over with folks painfully slowly getting what they needed till in the end, there were too few left to farm. The ability for folks to finally be able to work for the items they want with smaller groups has made things better. Unfortunately, we lost a lot of good players by the time SE starting making things better.
    The more things change the more they stay the same. Today we still have the tedium of farming alexandrite and other REM currencies on top of Ambuscade. I imagine the active population is going to take a major hit over the next three months without some major changes/additions planned.


    Quote Originally Posted by kylani View Post
    btw - I don't multi-box and the friends I currently play with don't multi-box, but I have grouped with people who multi-boxed and understand why some do. People don't have all the time in the world and it's understandable that they want to see some results from all the time they do put in. It's not selfish. People pay to enjoy a game the way they want to, not the way you want them to. Personally, I have never been in a rush to get everything, so I do miss the days when we grouped for everything, but so many things are better than they used to be. More choice is good.
    Case in point.

    We don't have more choice, we have less.
    (0)

  10. #10
    Player kylani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    121
    Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
    Case in point.

    We don't have more choice, we have less.
    No, you still have a choice. You can still group. Now you're just not forced to find a group for every single thing you do. I was a red mage at a time when you just had to pop on the server and get invites because 'every' group had to have a red mage. Sadly, the cookie cutter job mentality may be the biggest problem FFXI has. I remember how bad it was for the jobs that weren't tank, healer, refresher. I nostalgically miss the old days, but it doesn't mean it was perfect. If it were, people wouldn't have gotten so burnt out and left.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast