Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66

PUP control

Heya PUPs,

First time posting and wanted to ask a few Q's about PUP and the Automaton. Atm, I am playing BLM and love nuking down enemies. I see, through a few posts, I could make an Automaton BLM style. My question is, do I control when and what spell the Automaton casts or does he just fire away nukes at his own will?

I'm very curious about this as to PUP seems like a lot of fun however, I do like to have control over what spells are cast. It makes me feel like I'm constantly doing something. I kinda drew away from melee this time around (returning after a 7 year hiatus) as to unlike other mmos, melee just don't have many buttons to press while fighting. Alot of white swings while mages seem to always be pressing things which I enjoy tenfold.

I had a few more questions but.... I bloody well forgot what they were. I'll edit them in when it comes to me.

Thanks for any time spent reading and/or answering my post!
    (0)

Character
    Albelnokbel
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 92
    Assuming Pup hasn't radically changed in 5 years then yes. You get alot of control over the auto, each attachment and body part effects the AI and the auto will take different actions depending on which elemental commands you give them. Ice prompts and buffs nuking and you can stack commands for a greater effect. Over do it with the commands though and your auto will overload so you will have to get use to that. If i remember rightly one attachment allows the Auto to recognise the targets weakness and pick the appropriate elemental spell.
    (1)
    Last edited by Albel-Nokbel; 08-23-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Quote Originally Posted by Albel-Nokbel View Post
    Assuming Pup hasn't radically changed in 5 years then yes. You get alot of control over the auto, each attachment and body part effects the AI and the auto will take different actions depending on which elemental commands you give them. Ice prompts and buffs nuking and you can stack commands for a greater effect. Over do it with the commands though and your auto will overload so you will have to get use to that. If i remember rightly one attachment allows the Auto to recognise the targets weakness and pick the appropriate elemental spell.
    Oh awesome, just the news I was chasing. I'll unlock tomorrow and give it a shot. It does seem like a pretty indepth fun job. Thanks Albel-Nokbel!
    (0)

Character
    Psion
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Its best to think of the automaton as having gambits, similar to ffxi, where there's gambits for target enemy > nuke with highest level spell that will resist the least and it has mp for, provided the spell is ready to cast. (aka it won't use water spells on crabs, but loves fire on an ice elemental. if said ice ele is high enough level it may even prioritize it over thunder, sensing that thunder has a chance to resist, but fire wont.) another example would be target enemy > enfeeble, with a gambit for each enfeeble. maneuvers can manipulate the priority order for this. so ice maneuver will bump up the nuke gambit higher up the list than enfeebles. (although if the enemy has mp, or the automaton is hurt, it will prioritize aspirs/drains over everything regardless, assuming the automatons hp/mp is below 75%.)

or if the automaton has, say, a dark maneuver as well as ice, it will likely cast abs int > nuke > paralyze (ice based) > blind (dark based) > nuke > other enfeebles. sorta that idea. obviously which spells it casts varies on frame, but each frames have two recast timers: the actual spells recast timer, which is the same as any other mage (aka cast thunder V, wait for recast to be ready before you can cast it.) and the global cooldown timer, which is seperated by categories. blm frame has enfeebling and nuking recast timers, whm frame has buffing, healing, and enfeebling, rdm has all 4. each of these global cooldowns are roughly around 15 seconds each, but this can be altered by attachments. mana channelers boost magic attack bonus but increase the global timers. possibly the recast timers of spells too, though im not sure. mana booster reduces the global recast timers. damage gauges reduce the healing recast timer, and optic fibers boost the effects of these other attachments.

It's also a good idea to equip turbo chargers/use automaton fast cast gear, in order to reduce recast times of spells. otherwise thunder V, for instance, might not be ready even when the nuke timer is, or cure VI may not be ready when the healing recast is, causing the automaton to resort to cure V instead.

maneuvers also can alter automaton weaponskill priorities, with different weaponskills having a favored and a suppressing maneuver. cannibal blade, for instance, is prioritized with dark maneuver, and reduced with...light? i think. bone crusher is light favored. This goes out the window, however, if you use inhibitors for the store tp. then it chooses which ws will close the highest level skillchain and executes it as soon as possible after someone uses a weaponskill. speedloaders do the same, except they boost skillchain damage instead of store tp... and instead of closing a skillchain ASAP, they actually make the automaton close the skillchain at the very end of the window, maximizing the time mages can magic burst, or avoid ruining a parties skillchain setup.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Heya PUPs,

First time posting and wanted to ask a few Q's about PUP and the Automaton. Atm, I am playing BLM and love nuking down enemies. I see, through a few posts, I could make an Automaton BLM style. My question is, do I control when and what spell the Automaton casts or does he just fire away nukes at his own will?

I'm very curious about this as to PUP seems like a lot of fun however, I do like to have control over what spells are cast. It makes me feel like I'm constantly doing something. I kinda drew away from melee this time around (returning after a 7 year hiatus) as to unlike other mmos, melee just don't have many buttons to press while fighting. Alot of white swings while mages seem to always be pressing things which I enjoy tenfold.

I had a few more questions but.... I bloody well forgot what they were. I'll edit them in when it comes to me.

Thanks for any time spent reading and/or answering my post!

If you gonna play Pup go for it. It is a really fun job and they are very good tank. I don't know much about making pet nuke but i know they are good tank and you can fight along side them.
    (0)