Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50

So many annoying inconsitencies in mechanics

Just two of the myriad of inconsistent ways this game handles ostensibly similar items/actions:

1) I can USE a CRYSTAL in my MH to craft something but I can't USE a CLUSTER to break it into crystals.

2) I can SEND a bonus ring from a daily login vendor to another character on the same account but I can't send a bonus ring from the sparks vendor.

In the case of (1) there's absolutely no logical reason for this, it's entirely just an annoyance, in the case of (2) it's simply ridiculous that something obtained trivially CAN be sent while another which is gained by actually playing the game isn't! Moreover, there's NO WAY to know that you can't do it until you've bought the Sparks ring and then find you can't!

SE, if you're going to block the sending of R/E items across an account the PLEASE make it clear in the tooltip! It's no good having a hidden flag that controls this as there's is no reason whatsoever to think that one R/E is different from another R/E in this regard.

Yes, I KNOW there's a web page, somewhere, where the hundreds of R/E items are listed than you can (or can't?) send/vendor/etc. but that's utterly useless when playing the game!
    (1)
    Last edited by Kraggy; 08-18-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I absolutely feel your pain.
    However I simply play windowed and keep this bookmarked for reference:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...count-Ex-Items
    (1)

Character
    Shyles
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraggy View Post
    Yes, I KNOW there's a web page, somewhere, where the hundreds of R/E items are listed than you can (or can't?) send/vendor/etc. but that's utterly useless when playing the game!
    If you don't have two monitors, then I have an idea that might help! In the 90's, we used to use a device called a printer to copy notes onto paper. Maybe you could try that! Then you can look at a list even while playing! I still have sooooo many notes in my Trapper Keeper!
    (1)

How many layers of irony is this?
    (2)

Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraggy View Post
    Just two of the myriad of inconsistent ways this game handles ostensibly similar items/actions:

1) I can USE a CRYSTAL in my MH to craft something but I can't USE a CLUSTER to break it into crystals.

2) I can SEND a bonus ring from a daily login vendor to another character on the same account but I can't send a bonus ring from the sparks vendor.

In the case of (1) there's absolutely no logical reason for this, it's entirely just an annoyance, in the case of (2) it's simply ridiculous that something obtained trivially CAN be sent while another which is gained by actually playing the game isn't! Moreover, there's NO WAY to know that you can't do it until you've bought the Sparks ring and then find you can't!

SE, if you're going to block the sending of R/E items across an account the PLEASE make it clear in the tooltip! It's no good having a hidden flag that controls this as there's is no reason whatsoever to think that one R/E is different from another R/E in this regard.

I'm right there with you. I keep the clusters to save space, but I always wish I didn't have to zone out to break them.

I also wish there was a way to tell if something is transferable among my characters without having to have a list, but even more, I wish more items were allowed to be transferred.
    (0)

As for #1 it's not really an inconsistency more so that it's the item type. You can't use items that take effect in Mog Houses normally, which are clusters for example. Basically items that produce a progress bar normally can't be used (99.9% of the time), using crystals for synthesis is a completely different system altogether.

For 2 - Even though it's been quite some years, it's still a fairly "new" feature in XI allowing you to send between your characters, they specifically block certain items (for whatever reason) so it does indeed suck, but for example very specific items that boost your character like CP rings I think they specifically don't allow to be sent.

As an aside:

If your whole purpose of buying items on one character is to send to another character, you realistically can't complain about that because remember there was a point in time you had to actually get every single item you wanted on each character you wanted it for, so if you're gearing a character via Main Character #1 and sending it to Alt Character #2, clearly that sort of defeats the purpose of quite a bit of things, so they do prevent SOME items from being transferred, even some of the Rare tagged only items (usually economy reasons.)
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.