Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

EXP/CP Rings and Limits

What if...
    Instead of set amount of points to a ring limit, it instead maxed out at a certain duration?
    I feel like this would be more useful. As it is right now, most rings last about 2-3 kills with the amount of EXP/CP we can now get.

Maybe have the ring have a twice a week use, or once a week use, and last for an hour (gaining 100% or whatever bonus that the ring would give) for that total duration.

Thoughts?
    (0)

Player
    That might work for the lv99 exp rings, but could have a large negative impact on those still leveling. They last a much longer time if you use one at lv12 vs lv99, and provide full benefit to any job that's 98 or lower.

As it stands, since it's possible to hit the CP/kill cap w/o any ring/roll/kupofried, I think that would be a more important thing to update than the rings themselves.
    Tested in CP party yesterday on what was likely to be a ~60k CP kill. I wrote down my current total CP, popped "Capacity Ring", finished killing mob.. Got 65335CP (which matched up with the amount I noted earlier), which is far less than the +50% bonus from the ring AND the buff wore off on the same kill. This indicates that the ring/buff saw that it "should" give more than 30k CP and wore off, but I did not actually receive the full amount due to the CP per kill cap.

So for CP rings, it would be more helpful if they could at least bypass the cap (if it's not possible to actually raise the cap.) For Exp rings, since it's not possible to hit the 65335exp/kill mark even with a ring buff, your suggestion does make sense.. Especially since it would do little more than affect merit point increase (which is plenty fast as it is.)
    (1)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 08-21-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
    What if...
    Instead of set amount of points to a ring limit, it instead maxed out at a certain duration?
    Gain EXP + Event + Other RoE...

1-99 in 15 minutes...
    (0)

Character
    Topace
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Why is the cap 65k anyways?

Inb4 ps2 limitations.
    (1)

Player
    Maybe only change Capacity rings to that method and leave XP rings as they are?
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    Maybe only change Capacity rings to that method and leave XP rings as they are?
    Yes, please.
    (0)

Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I was thinking mainly about capacity, but decided to include EXP into it.

Right now, I see people call for Double EXP/CP campaigns and seem to lose incentive to group up and gain CP when there is no event.
    Having a ring set for a duration might help during the "off-season" and maybe help people set time every week for CP with a group that feels like a worthwhile investment?

I dunno, just a thought.

As it stands, I'm really not thinking about EXP gain at all. I could care less how slow/fast someone gets to 99.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
    I was thinking mainly about capacity, but decided to include EXP into it.

Right now, I see people call for Double EXP/CP campaigns and seem to lose incentive to group up and gain CP when there is no event.
    Having a ring set for a duration might help during the "off-season" and maybe help people set time every week for CP with a group that feels like a worthwhile investment?

I dunno, just a thought.

As it stands, I'm really not thinking about EXP gain at all. I could care less how slow/fast someone gets to 99.
    If they changed the CP rings to a fixed duration, then I'm pretty sure I could go from 0JP > 2100JP in a single day during a campaign... Really don't feel like mathing it out, but yeah, sounds about right ~_~;; Also, unless the cap on cp/kill was also raised, it wouldn't benefit everyone equally since it is already possible to hit that cap w/o any ring buff in a really good group killing the right targets. That means the players getting the most out of it would be those who were on the low end of the totem pole to begin with and killing lower level targets, while those who killed higher level stuff would get a much smaller, possibly zero, improvement. You would be penalizing those who know how to kill more than only crabs in other words. ^^;;

TLDR; The CP/kill cap would need to be raised significantly before it would make sense to examine a redesign of the rings.

The 65k-ish cap is a binary thing :x They have the value set to a certain number of bits, and when you fill em up, anything over that amount simply gets tossed out as garbage data. (Oversimplified, but should be the gist of it.)
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 08-29-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I already understand the data cap. I appreciate the explanation though.
    I complete agree that the CP/kill cap would need to be raised, however I think an examination of the rings could still be given regardless.

Everyone is thinking about ring + campaign, but in my mind I was focusing for off-campaign scenarios. The campaigns are now rare, and last only a maximum of ten days (in many cases I can't play during the weekends to fully exercise the use of these campaigns).
    Even with the campaign, the issue you explain is still present: those on the low end of the totem pole do better while those on the higher end get smaller/zero improvement. So there would be no change in terms of "penalizing" anyone.

If anything, I want those on the lower end to be give help. Especially to get through the first 100 or so points of JP that seem like the slowest crawl out of the entire 2100. After I had hit 1200 on BST, JP seem to come so much more easily with all of the bonuses given.
    (1)

Player
    Of course JP come more easily after 1200JP, you have an additional CP+285% compared to 0JP. That has nothing to do with exp campaigns, just comes from the gifts incrementally increasing as you get higher.

And yes, the penalty for killing stronger things would still be present, even outside of campaigns. It IS possible to hit the cp/kill cap outside of campaign with no ring buff, just wont happen by chain 10 like during campaign.. I have no problems w/ increasing duration of exp rings since its possible to grind out 1-99 in 8hrs with no ring already, but cp rings still have issues.
    (0)