Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Dieth
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

All Ambuscade sets except SMN/BRD/WHM set have ACC+ what's the deal?

HQ Sets Acc+
    • 190 war
    • 190 sam
    • 0 brd Why?? My WHM just wants to Hexa strike, my Bard wants a reason to finish it's 30,000 alex.
    • 210 thf
    • 190 blm
    (4)
    ~ si deus nobiscum quis contra nos ~
    I am a Lazy French Shower

Character
    Zeldar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Well, they don't have acc+ because they are mage jobs. Silly question. The only reason this months has acc/attk on it is because it has BLU on the set. Did you see PLDs asking for cure potency/cast time on their pieces, or refresh?
    (0)

Character
    Dieth
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    So everybody gets accuracy but Bard and Whitemage and Summoner. I know there's more than just me that melee's on these jobs.

As a PLD using the ambuscade set, I have other pieces for cure pot/cast time and <3'd the -DT, but I got accuracy too.

Show me another gear set that is "as" attainable as Ambuscade's set that has that much Acc for BRD/WHM/SMN. >(Doesn't require random augs)<
    (2)
    ~ si deus nobiscum quis contra nos ~
    I am a Lazy French Shower

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    WHM, SMN and BRD are not intended to melee, as simple as that.

Every other set has at least two jobs on that were/are intended to melee on.
    (3)
    Last edited by Jakuk; 08-05-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Character
    Zeldar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    LOL Jakuk, don't post that on the whm forums...it will start a war. I agree 100% ......these jobs aren't meant to melee, though SMN has to if they have Nirvana. If you are just messing around melee'ing on these jobs and love it that much, get skirmish gear and augment it with melee path.
    (0)

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    If these jobs "aren't meant to melee" then why do all of their relic-type weapons require the player to be in melee to gain full benefit? Why are they granted job-specific weaponskills instead of spells? Why does WHM get melee-oriented clubs fairly often (eg. Oboro) instead of more typically useful weapons? Why does Reisenjima equipment receive melee augments? The list goes on.

This isn't me asking a rhetorical question, it's a genuine lack of consistency. I personally find melee to be extremely tedious and boring, but to see these threads and then see people argue the opposite when people want mage relic-type weapons to be more "mage-y" is very frustrating.

I get that BLU is on this set and that is probably the reason for the accuracy, but that doesn't really answer the question that's really being asked.
    (3)

Character
    Zeldar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbob View Post
    If these jobs "aren't meant to melee" then why do all of their relic-type weapons require the player to be in melee to gain full benefit? Why are they granted job-specific weaponskills instead of spells? Why does WHM get melee-oriented clubs fairly often (eg. Oboro) instead of more typically useful weapons? Why does Reisenjima equipment receive melee augments? The list goes on.

This isn't me asking a rhetorical question, it's a genuine lack of consistency. I personally find melee to be extremely tedious and boring, but to see these threads and then see people argue the opposite when people want mage relic-type weapons to be more "mage-y" is very frustrating.

I get that BLU is on this set and that is probably the reason for the accuracy, but that doesn't really answer the question that's really being asked.
    I believe all of their RME weapons require mages to be in full range to get the benefit is really just an oversight on SE's part. They fixed it for blm, now they need to give WHM TP for curing tbh.

They are granted job specific WS IN ADDITION TO, not instead of spells, because all jobs are given job-specific weaponskills.

WHM gets melee-oriented clubs for the same reason BLM can equip some scythes: just an added bonus so you can solo some exp on WHM if you really want to. That doesn't mean mages are MEANT to melee, no more than a DRK is MEANT to be your go-to magic damagein a party simply because they can nuke.

Reisenjima has melee augments because all the gear shares the same 3 stone paths. I augment my Colada and get avatar perp cost -5. Does this mean I should go BLU/SMN?

In no real situation should a whm or brd be melee'ing in a party, and this game is meant to be played in a party. You see DDs complaining about the crippling effects of enfeebles on them when the get close to the mob. I don't want my mages silenced, paralyzed, slowed, doomed, bio'd, or amnesia'd: stand back and let the melee jobs melee.

And to those of you with the "well I like to solo on whm" and "whm can melee just fine" arguments, we have had these recently on the whm forums. Please don't rehash them.
    (0)

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbob View Post

Put simply because they went for uniformity instead of basing the bonus' etc on the jobs actual role. This has been the way they've done it from the start of FFXI.

All jobs are capable of meleeing, albeit far less capable than others, but predominately WHM, SMN and BRD are not meant to melee on anything actually worthwhile, thus the majority of the gear is based around that aspect of the jobs this set included.
    (0)
    Last edited by Jakuk; 08-05-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The relic-etc weapons have been an "oversight" for an awfully long time, despite a large number of people questioning it on and off for an equally long time. I believe it's intentional, though I can't begin to fathom the logic behind it.

Chironic gear explicity gives you a "melee" category for augmentation, right on the menu. Merlinic doesn't! Why not? Chironic even has innate accuracy bonuses on some of the gear - it's clear that the set is intended to be used as melee equipment in at least some capacity. But why not Merlinic? Baffling. The only traditionally melee capable job on the Chironic - RDM - is also on Merlinic. Why the difference? It's inconsistent.

And that lack of consistency is the point. It cannot be stated that X set of gear doesn't/shouldn't have melee stats because jobs A, B and C are not "melee jobs", as SE repeatedly gives some "mage job" equipment meleeing stats but not others - seemingly at random.

There are arguments that you could back up - that gear set X appears to be intended for purpose Y (as I believe is the case for the WHM BRD SMN set - not that I necessarily agree with the implementation). That gear set X acts as a counterpart for similarly-equippable but differently statted set Y. Things like that are generally backed up by what SE has done in the past; "WHM is a mage" is not.

It's also worth pointing out that granting the BLM/etc set accuracy bonuses and melee stats just because one job on that set has a traditionally melee-based role doesn't mean that BLM, GEO etc magically don't receive those bonuses; they do. Is it acceptable that BLM, GEO etc are able to access these stats purely by coincidence? They certainly aren't traditional melee jobs.
    (1)
    Last edited by Jerbob; 08-05-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Character
    Zeldar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    And THF isn't traditionally a ranged job, but the sets it shares with RNG give ranged stats. So what? You are reading way too far into this. No job on the whm/brd/smn set was meant to melee, so they don't get the bonus. Plain and simple. Anything else you have stated is just an excuse to "OMG WHM/NIN MELEE< ARRRRRGHHH!!!!" Silly. Just silly.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast