Character
    Kyaaadaa
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Different name = same thing

So I've played the game nearly since NA release, and I've found it mildly disturbing that many items in the game have various abilities listed a certain way on a single item, but then written different on another. An example would be Fast Cast:

Orvail Pants +1 says: Enhances "Fast Cast" effect, while...
    Orunmila's Torque says "Fast Cast" effect +5, while...
    Lengo Pants says "Fast cast" +5%.

Players who have been around the game for a while have managed to deduce that they all mean the same thing; yet reading these, it can raise the question of "do they all do something slightly different?"

I have to assume that this just means that different teams of developers were in work on different items, and they all had their own way of writing item stats out. My curiousity is such that I wonder if FFXI will ever see uniformity.
    (1)

Player
    There are many, MANY cases of what you are describing and the most confusing part is that some of the items actually do function differently. >_<;;
    I am curious though whether or not the same issue is present in the Japanese client.. In the case of Fast Cast, I would be surprised if the differences are merely due to different translators, but I have no idea how to verify anything since I don't have access to the Japanese client's .dat files. Perhaps someone else who does might be kind enough to investigate? :x
    (0)

Character
    Kyaaadaa
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Its funny, the day I wrote this, I received a capped Leyline Gloves from Sinister Reign... are you aware that those gloves have two different verbage of Fast Cast on it at the same time? The base gloves themselves state "Fast Cast"+5% and the augment it receives is "Fast Cast"+3. Not percent, just +3. I can't tell if this is simply oversight, planned and "working as expected" or just laziness on the part of the translators/developers. I would have to assume the first and give the SE team the benefit of the doubt, but considering the number of items in existence with such text... I begin to have doubts of another sort.
    (0)