Character
    Cloudblade
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

Samurai doesn't get smite... why?

Why does samurai not get smite while the other 2-hander DD get it? Is there any reasoning behind this other than the fact SE has been hating on samurai for the past few years? Even just 1 tier of smite would be helpful, given samurai ws's need attack on these higher end enemies due to their defense. Dark already had enough attack compared to the other 2-hander DD, and now gets a huge boost, while the other DD get, what, 50+ attack boost.
    (1)

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    neither does RUN
    (0)

Character
    Topace
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cblade View Post
    Why does samurai not get smite while the other 2-hander DD get it? Is there any reasoning behind this other than the fact SE has been hating on samurai for the past few years? Even just 1 tier of smite would be helpful, given samurai ws's need attack on these higher end enemies due to their defense. Dark already had enough attack compared to the other 2-hander DD, and now gets a huge boost, while the other DD get, what, 50+ attack boost.
    What Even? Godurai was on top for the past 2 years damn can another job have a chance please?
    (5)

Character
    Zeldar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by BBWallace View Post
    What Even? Godurai was on top for the past 2 years damn can another job have a chance please?
    EXACTLY. Samurai and RUN are the only 2 2-handers that have stayed relevant in the past few years, which is why the boost was given to the OTHER 2-handers. The idea is to get more jobs accepted and involved, not to make an already powerful job more powerful.
    (1)

Player
    My impression was that SAM was relevant mainly for their SC capabilities rather than their actual damage output. RUN is intended to be a tank so it's output is less important than it's ability to survive and hold agro.

Has anyone crunched the numbers and shown that SAM has a lower damage output now when compared to the jobs that got Smite while both are in equivalent gear setups?
    It makes sense to me that SAM should get it too, but maybe it's possible that extra free atk+ would have pushed it over the top?
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Kinda necro but I think the reason why SAM isn't getting smite may be something to do with DD RUN with lionheart. RUN is designed to be a tank job, and it can really only DPS with massive amount of attack buffs. If SAM gets smite then RUN/SAM DPS would improve a lot since it low attack is it's biggest weakness. Then it'll create a scenario of a tank job able to keep up with real DD and still gets massive parry and massive meva/mdef etc.
    (0)

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Kinda necro but I think the reason why SAM isn't getting smite may be something to do with DD RUN with lionheart. RUN is designed to be a tank job, and it can really only DPS with massive amount of attack buffs. If SAM gets smite then RUN/SAM DPS would improve a lot since it low attack is it's biggest weakness. Then it'll create a scenario of a tank job able to keep up with real DD and still gets massive parry and massive meva/mdef etc.
    Not that I'd want SAM to get it, but that's easily countered by giving it to them after level 49.
    (0)

Character
    Redler
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I'm guessing that, at best, SAM would get tiers 1 and 2 at level 40 and 80 like MNK and DRG.

Definitely not 4 or 5 tiers like DRK (+attack is its thing), and I highly doubt it would get 3 tiers like WAR.

At level 99, a SAM/WAR gets Smite 1, which is +4.6% attack, while Smite 2 would be +7.3%, a difference of +2.7% in attack.

Is that really worth crying over?
    (0)