Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Castanica View Post
    You do? $3 a week for how many hours entertainment? I can't think of any other game that offers even small updates for that price. Ever single player game I play that offers dlc gives far less for far more money.
    a) I am not just paying the sub - I paid for all the expansions. Single player games with new content added often are super plentiful and most of them cost significantly less than the price of XI+expansions at full price. I paid full price for almost all of them. That was a lot of money.

b)I have mules because the game is impossible to play without them. Even with new mog wardrobes that doesn't help with all the abyssea stones and seals and other assorted things my mules are carrying for me, so my sub is $19/month currently, not whatever the sub without mules is.

c) I am paying in canadian dollars so it is costing like $7 a week with new wardrobe fee. That's not insubstantial.

d) I have a massive number of unplayed games in my steam account, most bought during bundles etc for under a dollar. I can actually get a tonne of entertainment out of what I already have. FFXI is competing for my attention with other games I own. Are some of these games junk I will never play? Sure, but there are LOTS that are quite good in there. That's not even counting the other games I own that I have already started playing.

e) I bought a game during steam sale for $2 equivalent in American dollars and it is great. I have already put in 30 hours to it and will probably get another 100 hours. That's way more than I would get from a week of XI for way less.

f) the updates to XI right now are not worth mentioning really. For $25-$28 a month I should be getting a lot of new content. I am not getting even 1/10 of a new game's worth of content for that in a month. If I spent that money on new games I am likely to get way more content and enjoyment from that. So that is what I weigh when I decide whether to sub - "will this be more fun than a game I can buy once and have forever for 1/2 the price of a month of XI?"

I really love XI or I wouldn't keep paying for it, but let's not kid ourselves, they are gouging us for what we are getting in terms of updates these days. I will buy the wardrobes because I know it will make my time playing more fun (digging around in sacks for equipment is not fun)... but I will definitely let my sub drop more often because if I don't have time to play much it is not going to be worth it to have the sub up.
    (4)
    Last edited by Olor; 07-01-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

2. 07-01-2016 12:47 AM

Instead of renting out storage space why don't they worry about other issues, like merging servers. I have friends try to play and then quit because we cant do anything with a world full of 267 people at any given time.

And not even F2P games rent out space..its a one time buy. Not cool dudes
    (2)

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    No. I will not be purchasing any additional wardrobes. While I am not remotely surprised that this scheme is being presented, I am utterly disgusted.

Do not use the term "optional" when referring to inventory space. It is insulting. Inventory space is paramount in this game and SE is entirely aware of this.

This is a slippery slope. Just stop it.
    (20)

Player
    It's optional. Nobody gonna make you pay for those $4. If you can't afford $4 maybe you should rethink your priorities. It's just a coffee at starbucks...
    (3)

I don't say this often and I feel sick being a defender but the entitlement is off the charts here.
    (2)

Player
    I was pondering making July my last month in FFXI--- (amusing note there, I nearly typed it as XIV. Cash shop effect!) I don't really care for the game much anymore with the fast paced vertical progression and flavor of the month endgame approach that's been there for awhile. I did want to do all the quests in the Seekers area though, so I decided another month can't hurt.

And then I saw this today--in of itself, it's not that big a deal. But this IS a slippery slope and don't let anyone say otherwise. XIV did it. Started with retainers and fantasia, moved to mounts and weddings and dyes and most recently, pondering a level booster potion. Do you truly think they'll stop here? When it worked so easily in their other MMO?

I'm finished after July, started at PS2 release and the only time I left was to go play ARR, so SE had my subscription there too. Well I quit XIV a year ago and starting in August, I won't be paying SE subscription fees anymore. I seldom post but I felt this was an important enough topic to warrant actually doing it in, so SE reps, if you see this:

I'm leaving your game because of this announcement. After over a decade. You might want to reconsider the effect this is going to have on population, etc, but I'm sure you won't, all you will see are giant dollar signs floating in the air.
    (5)

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by AoiX View Post
    It's optional. Nobody gonna make you pay for those $4. If you can't afford $4 maybe you should rethink your priorities. It's just a coffee at starbucks...
    I doubt for most of us money is the issue.
    (12)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Character
    Genzz
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I won't be paying for this, since it's for people who play many jobs and I'd like to be able to actually play my Drg before thinking about another.
    So work on the balance, please.
    (1)

Character
    Avina
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 85
    I'm not opposed to this, really. I find it bizarre that this would motivate to quit, as well. It's not screwing over existing players--it's not taking away inventory slots from you.

As its been mentioned, if you are currently at the cap for your inventory slots, you are a bit of a hoarder. Which is exactly what I am--but I don't care to be particularly diligent about clearing my inventory out. That's a hassle to me. Something like this may help me out a lot.

With the declining player base, the XI team is likely needing to find means to justify keeping the servers on. That means potentially seeking ways to generate extra revenue from the existing player base. This has been a move that they probably wanted to avoid, but became a financial necessity.

Over the past several years, the team has given us a lot of things for free, just for the sake of improving the quality of life. It was not long ago that we didn't have a Mog Safe 2, a Mog Wardrobe, a Mog Wardrobe 2. Or the ability to store crystals. Or a multitude of other things. We got our Mog Wardrobe 2 in February.

You can complain about XIV's cash shop model. I personally don't care for it much as well. But you can't blame them for recognizing that is a financially successful system.

Not to mention, each wardrobe is still pretty dang cheap. $2 a month. That's like, choosing to not getting a pop from a vending machine twice a month.
    (3)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    The game is a super cheap form of entertainment and as far as I know, the sub has never increased over the years so we're paying less than we did in 2002. That said, over the years we were always paying with the understanding that our sub fees were going back into game development. While it's nice that the game is still going and new content is still being released, you would think that the current sub fee should be able to cover whatever they plans they have for the storage fees.

That said, I do not have a problem with providing something like additional storage for a fee because you are only paying for convenience. You are not paying to become stronger. However, I think it should have been a one-time fee rather than something you have to pay on a monthly basis.
    (3)

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast