Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enmity in "lower level" content

Tanking is a frustrating thing at the moment. In newer content, I can keep bosses glued to me absolutely no problem.

To properly single tank the taurus and demon, active hate must be kept on both targets. The way I choose to do this is that my current target gets Flashes (because my flash can be as low as 10 seconds), and the other target gets Provokes. Sometimes, I'll also use the Provoke for the main target.

Even splitting enmity like this, neither target takes their attention off me. I am a well-geared tank. I TP in a lot of enmity gear (secondary to capping defensive stats) and have a fantastic swap for Provoke and all my other abilities. I have a great haste/enmity set for Flash and Reprisal.

I know how to use sentinel, divine emblem, warcry (and rampart if it's not strategically needed). I have a strong cureswap, piled with enmity. In higher content, I can typically save sentinel for when I need it as a damage-reduction cooldown. In lower content, I pop it very early in the fight and right-away if it's mobs that have natural party-hate like Incursion, Vagary. Ambuscade also has party hate, but I just don't need to sentinel as a hate tool in there.

That said, I find myself going to HTBFs sometimes where enmity is a whole lot harder to hold. This is partly because most of this stuff has lower evasion, lower defense meaning the DDs hit harder. This is mainly because of the design of the enmity system.

The lower level the target is, the more enmity is generated by damage, while enmity from job abilities and healing remains the same. That's why DDs pull off tanks in older content so easily. This also makes enmity-cap, which is still a thing, more easily attainable for the DD and once at enmity cap--there's very little that can be done by jobs other than BLM, DRG, and THF.

The thing is, just because they outgear the content doesn't always mean they're able to tank the content.

The theory is that Square Enix considered that if enmity wasn't higher for DDs in older content, like Delve, then DDs wouldn't be able to tank in content where a tank really wasn't needed but that's pretty broad.

There's a lot of content that we outgear where a tank still is needed or is desirable, like many HTBFs.

If that theory is the truth, then how about changing it so that elemental damage and healing did reduced enmity in older content and put melee back on a flat value regardless of how old the content is.

One theory concerning high-tier battlefields is that the harder difficulties don't actually increase the level of the monster, just the stats of the monster. This is effectively similar to how we're still 99, but our gear raises our level. Essentially, our ilvl is calculated in the enmity formula but the monster's "inflated level (set by chosen difficulty)" is not.

It's crazy that damage that would never pull a Reisenjima boss off of me will pull HTBF Ultima off of me (Ultima is the breath one. Omega, I understand, because he has hate resets)

The present design has everyone else enjoying the fruits of their gear progression and tanks working harder and still failing in older content. Since enmity now affects how much hate is lost from taking damage, simply switching to Sulevia's (which has no enmity on it) is not necessarily an option either.

Even with my Burtgang AM3, I'm not going to TP nearly as fast as the blu/dnc/thf/sam/etc. That also means building up tp to 300% which can take a PLD quite a while.

I'll be honest, it's frustrating and embarrassing. People that don't know what's going on think the tank is "fail" and like to spout things like "I thought you were the tank." It takes joy out of the game temporarily to experience this. I'm actually geared enough that I can, if I give it my all, usually hold an easier NM for most or all of it's health in easier content but I get a lot of tells about other PLDs.

I've thought about posting this thread for a while but it's embarrassing to call a spotlight on yourself. It was only once I saw other tanks--that I respect--acknowledging this that I decided to bring it up on the official forums.

TL;DR: Hello, my name is Omnys and I sometimes have enmity problems in older content.
    (1)
    Last edited by OmnysValefor; 05-31-2016 at 06:07 PM.

I'm a bit disappointed this has gotten no feedback from the community.

On the flipside of this, I took my BLU to help another PLD with farming Tenzen tonight.

My BLU is not amazingly geared but the PLD, at least in his most visible set, is better geared than my PLD. Full souv+1, Burtgang 119 AG. I don't know what kind of enmity swaps he does for abilities like provoke or Flash but I do know that he appeared to be playing correctly. After the first run, once he realized that I could pull hate off him, He'd open just as I would--

Flash, Sentinel, Provoke, Warcry, Rampart, ... Flash, Provoke and I would still sometimes get hate off him. Now I wasn't holding back, but this was more of a test from a different viewpoint of the thoughts in my OP.

Hate resets are a fine mechanic. I have no complaint about that, but aside from resets, hate should be reliable. I don't expect to be able to a fresh 119 to hold off an Reisenjima geared person, but I do expect a mythic tank to be able to hold off of mythic DD. I especially expect a mythic tank to be able to hold off of a NQ DD, such as my BLU. So what, I was TPing faster than him, that's the difference between our job types. I'm supposed to TP faster than him and do more damage than he is, otherwise there's no point in me being there.

And that's not even to begin to imply that a tank geared equal to a DD (mythic v mythic) should do the same amount of damage. Tanks are tanks for a reason, and DD are DD for a reason.

In many areas, enmity is fine, areas where the mobs are higher level. I tank many UNMs just fine, regardless of fury/frailty* etc (which is doing everything for melee damage and nothing for me).

* And that's not to mention the fact that if I just bring SCHs and BLMs, the hate issues are non-existent unless the fight has a hate reset (Omega HTBF) or peculiar hate mechanics (Puppet in Peril)

In content like HTBFs, which I can hit in many of my tanking setups ("hard", "trivial", "accuracy", etc) which means that I'm producing more enmity by putting out more damage and taking less damage (especially when I use my "hard" set--because there's lot of enmity+ on that gear), enmity issues arise.

Like I said, I get the point that in this paradigm, melee can tank older content. The WHM and casters are safe and that's really smart, but it's frustrating to go to the few old things that still need a tank, like many HTBFs*, as a tank. It is frustrating to watch this "older content" reach a point where the monster either turns for voke/flash for a second, or altogether ignores it.

I will note that WAR or DRK could probably switch to a -dt set and tank many of these things. But most don't. Their response to getting smacked in the face is to smack the other guy back in the face.
    (1)
    Last edited by OmnysValefor; 05-31-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Character
    Fahzewn
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    Their response to getting smacked in the face is to smack the other guy back in the face.
    Not trying to take away from your original intention but this part made me laugh. Sounds about right.

Overall, I think the enmity cap will always be a tricky thing to manage as there might not be an easy way to adjust it without calling out a specific job, ability, or trait.

For argument's sake, lets say Provoke temporarily increases the enmity cap, but what if you don't sub Warrior for some instance or another?

That said, I'm not sure how everyone feels about Scholars anymore, but they do have those spells to help with enmity gain. Best I could give ya on this subject.
    (0)

As I recall, Animus-Augeo is in the Crusade line of spells (though much earlier) and doesn't stack with it. I assume that it doesn't stack with Ninja's version either.

Animus-Minuo still exists, but -10 enmity isn't a lot, especially for worthwhile DD, and rests on the group bringing an SCH. This is something we do for a lot of hard content, but enmity isn't typically an issue on hard content (edit: not because of SCH enmity spells, lol)--especially against casters. Casters, for some reason, produce much less enmity than melee.

- - -

In most cases, when the group is enmity capping, it's because the strategy is wrong.

Enmity is working well in a lot of areas actually, high content-level areas.

- - -

Another suggestion would be to make Yonin and Innin available from /nin sub and possibly increase their potency. With Yonin on, jobs generate full enmity from damage. With yonin off or innin on, they generate reduced damage.

- - -

Lastly, that line you quoted was intended to be funny.
    (0)
    Last edited by OmnysValefor; 06-01-2016 at 01:15 AM.

Character
    Shyles
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I agree so much. I am constantly running into this issue with my dancer. I even made a post about it in the Job Balancing thread. The two areas where Melee DD is in desperate need of help is primarily Enmity and also innate frontline survivability (as in we shouldn't need to rely on swapping into tank gear in the midst of DDing just to survive AoEs).

The gear on my Dancer isn't the absolute best, but it's not bad either. Unbuffed I have about 1100 acc / 1200 att, and I also have lots of stp, multi hit, crit, and skillchain bonus. I hit very hard and fast, and if I have Haste II, I can solo 3-step double darkness all day. If I have capped haste and Geo buffs, then in a sandbox environment (a.k.a. Apex Eruca Genocide), I can regularly do about 2000 dps, plus another 2200 dps in skillchain damage.. Yes, I out-dps myself.. Dancer is fun.

The problem though is that because of the higher damage output, I generate a LOT of enmity. So to keep from pulling hate, I literally have to stop closing skillchains (which is what Dancers are are built for), and pace my weapon skills effectively lowering my damage output by half just so that I can live... So my Dancer is caught between being too strong for most content lower than CL 130, and too little accuracy/survivability for CL 135+. It is very frustrating. The current enmity mechanics literally prevent me from going 100% on anything that can kill me.

Mean while, Black mages magic bursting off of Scholar skillchains can do the same damage over time as my dancer, but are virtually untouched by enmity and can avoid most AoE/Spike damage altogether, thereby dramatically diminishing the role for both Melee DD and Healers in one fell swoop...

So if SE is serious about bringing Melee DD back out of obscurity, they need to give us our main party niche back: Skillchaining. I think this needs two things to happen:

1) Either remove Imminence entirely, or nerf it to minor situational use only (perhaps more of a soloing JA).. Make it so that Magic bursting a traditional skillchain is far more attractive than magic bursting Imminence SCs.

2) Adjust enmity drastically. I would love to see Melee DD enmity to be brought down closer to offensive magic levels for ALL content, not just the highest level content. Even meeting halfway would be an improvement. Melee is already more likely to be smacked in the face (which obviously makes sense), The enmity difference between melee and magic DD is just far too vast. An NM should be mildly upset at anyone who is trying to stab them or throw fireballs at them, but they should be absolutely livid if someone tries to flash them.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shyles; 06-01-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Character
    Helldemon
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyles View Post
    So if SE is serious about bringing Melee DD back out of obscurity, they need to give us our main party niche back: Skillchaining. I think this needs two things to happen:

1) Either remove Imminence entirely, or nerf it to minor situational use only (perhaps more of a soloing JA).. Make it so that Magic bursting a traditional skillchain is far more attractive than magic bursting Imminence SCs.

2) Adjust enmity drastically. I would love to see Melee DD enmity to be brought down closer to offensive magic levels for ALL content, not just the highest level content. Even meeting halfway would be an improvement. Melee is already more likely to be smacked in the face (which obviously makes sense), The enmity difference between melee and magic DD is just far too vast. An NM should be mildly upset at anyone who is trying to stab them or throw fireballs at them, but they should be absolutely livid if someone tries to flash them.
    Don't forget that melee are losing enmity when they take damage too so we def. generate way to much compared to mages. I don't think this would do much, they will probably just bring a bst or two. Much safer then bringing melee that can be killed incredibly quickly.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Helldemon View Post
    Don't forget that melee are losing enmity when they take damage too so we def. generate way to much compared to mages. I don't think this would do much, they will probably just bring a bst or two. Much safer then bringing melee that can be killed incredibly quickly.
    That is the startling part of it.

For all the damage they're doing, they're shedding a lot for each strike they take and each AOE that hits them. Frequently, the same thing that brings them to yellow or red hp doesn't get past my phalanx or cureskin (like Mow in this month's ambuscade). And yet, for all the damage they're shedding, the BLMs who are doing very potent damage, are not out-hating them.

I told a good blu friend of mine today, while we were farming Oryx. "See how this isn't even looking at you? If we were doing the same damage, and taking the same damage at say Tenzen, I wouldn't be able to keep it completely off of you and it's not that his blu does more damage on VD Tenzen, it's the design of the system.
    (0)

Character
    Helldemon
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Also, most people probably haven't given feedback because they are to focused on fixing the melee situation and don't want to distract the dev's? Lol. Kind of the reason I made no comment at first, they need a huge fix first before anything really imo. I thought I remember reading that the extra damage from MB doesn't get hate, or maybe less hate, so that could be a big part of it.
    (0)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Helldemon View Post
    Also, most people probably haven't given feedback because they are to focused on fixing the melee situation and don't want to distract the dev's? Lol. Kind of the reason I made no comment at first, they need a huge fix first before anything really imo. I thought I remember reading that the extra damage from MB doesn't get hate, or maybe less hate, so that could be a big part of it.
    They don't specify how it works, but there is a(apparently huuuge) enmity reduction on magic bursts. And of course, no one has tested the potency, that I'm aware of.
    (1)

Character
    Saruhiko
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Forgive me for asking (I'm a casual, and I'm still fairly behind in content), but what is this "lower level" content you speak of? I've read your post a couple times and I don't really see mention of low level content... unless I have a different idea of "lower level content" from you (I'm thinking of like... lv90- content, like Dynamis, and CoP/AU/WoTG endgame things, and the first two Abyssea expansions). What are "the taurus and demon" you are mentioning, specifically?

My main reason for asking is that although I do have a tank job, at those levels I find trusts just fine to work as tanks, so keeping enmity doesn't really seem a concern to me. Even my friends of non-tank jobs can tank that tier of content without getting maimed. My friend who is a 99 THF tanks most of the things we've done in dynamis and assaults.

So, what content are you aiming for exactly that makes keeping enmity so essential?
    (0)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    San d'Oria, Windurst, Bastok: Rank 10
    ZM:O CoP:O AU:O ACP:O
    Italian Dragoon FTW! <3 Azure 4Ever. (Roleplayer)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast