Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

Are the devs ever going to address the lag caused to a lot of players by geo bubbles?

Yes I know they look pretty but they cause a lot of players to lag, when each geo can have upto 3 bubbles going and you can have 2-3-4 geomancers around you that's a lot of lag for almost no reason. What even causes the lag, I can play witcher 3 at 60 fps but these bubbles make me go from 30 to 15-20? Why?

Just make an option to use the new aoe circles on precast of skills and magics (or the circles around crabs in the crab club thing) to replace them or something? I remember reading a post a year ago about the devs doing something but they never did it seems?

Also before someone suggests it, no I don't want to turn off ALL effects just because of this.
    (2)
    Last edited by Pixela; 05-25-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Character
    Xiozan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I am familiar with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    The development team does have this on their list of tasks to complete but there are some other projects that have a higher priority. Their current plans are to create a separate toggle for geomancer magic effects in the graphics filters.
    which should by it's nature also address the lag related concern you've mentioned... this is from a 2013 post however, so i am uncertain if there has been any update as to the development teams' activities since as it relates to the "separate toggle for geomancer magic effects in the graphics filters". Also, note it was mentioned that it wasn't a top priority at the time...
    (0)

{DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations.

I'd really like that toggle about now. I have GEO unlocked but I can't play it because it makes me nauseous and lags me. (With a pretty high end machine too - way to never optimize XI!)

I'd like the option to exchange the vomit swirl with a boring glowing circle on the ground.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

As a geo, I understand the nauseating feeling. Bubble effects are enough to be disorienting but not enough that you readily notice when they're gone.

I would prefer, if they can do this, that there be a mode, set by each-player, that projects a ring on the ground, so that players can turn off the effect for performance/preference reason and still see when they're in the effect by the ring on the ground.
    (1)

Player
    I don't know why they don't just use variation of this:

(1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    They've already taken steps to reduce the lag, back soon after it was new when 2 people complained of motion sickness. (I don't understand it myself, the bubbles aren't even that visible since they made the afformentioned changes unless you have several of them- it doesn't bother me at all)

As far as the AoE indicators, those actually have just as many polys (they're models, not decals like they really should be) so if you had a bunch of those visible to every player, they'd make you lag too. just like haivng lots of pets kills your FPS. They really need to just upgrade the rendering pipeline because there's absolutely no reason that ANY of the graphics in a decades old game should not be running perfectly on video cards available today. It's beyond silly that I can run games like the witcher 3, that other MMO and any other game made in the last year flawlessly but this game often drags below even its already low 30 FPS cap.

Of course, failing that, they should really just add a seperate toggle option like the above posts mentioned. But I would certainly love if they fixed their rendering pipeline, especially with console support dropped.

(but also, stop calling it lag. it's not lag, its low frame rate... lag is a networking term, not a graphics term)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-26-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    As a geo, I understand the nauseating feeling. Bubble effects are enough to be disorienting but not enough that you readily notice when they're gone.

I would prefer, if they can do this, that there be a mode, set by each-player, that projects a ring on the ground, so that players can turn off the effect for performance/preference reason and still see when they're in the effect by the ring on the ground.
    This is exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    They've already taken steps to reduce the lag, back soon after it was new when 2 people complained of motion sickness. (I don't understand it myself, the bubbles aren't even that visible since they made the afformentioned changes unless you have several of them- it doesn't bother me at all)
    It just happens to people. I don't get seasick really, but lots of people do. Just luck I guess.

I've tried playing it recently and it still made me queasy.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Hi, everyone!

While we did look into the possibility of simplifying the effects, unfortunately, it seems that the load produced would be nearly the same as the normal effect. The team has done all they can to reduce the load regarding geomancer spells, so there isn't anything else that can be done at this time.

We appreciate your feedback concerning this topic and encourage you to keep it coming!
    (1)
    Aya "Sicycre" Montoya - Community Team

A less intrusive effect would still help a lot of the complaints, even if you can't effect performance. For instance, It's pretty hard to see what small mobs are doing when a geo bubble is centered on them, and I don't mean the greater bubble effect, I mean the core of the bubble. Something ground based, or higher up would be preferrable.

Instead of the core being the center of the bubble, say like ( - ), what if it was higher up? ( ' ) so that it floated above players heads.

It's actually painful on the eyes to stare at and you can't see what the mob is doing.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Sicycre View Post
    Hi, everyone!

While we did look into the possibility of simplifying the effects, unfortunately, it seems that the load produced would be nearly the same as the normal effect. The team has done all they can to reduce the load regarding geomancer spells, so there isn't anything else that can be done at this time.

We appreciate your feedback concerning this topic and encourage you to keep it coming!
    All they need to do is change the dat file for the ball effect.. its the effect that causes the graphics card fps drops...
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast