Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    Not on my jobs. I've read up on them. I only have BLU/THF/BRD no PLD and no BLM... I have BST but I don't play it since they ruined it.
    There isn't much to lose except a few minutes and a few hundred sparks. I solo'd a lot of those Tier 1 NMs in Zitah on several jobs when I was looking to get back into the game last year, one of which was THF with gear likely worse than what you described above. Use August, Amchuchu or Gessho as tank, Apururu or Yoran as WHM (or Kupipi if you aren't in their unities), Koru-Moru as RDM, Iroha II and Shantotto II as damage dealers. I guarantee you'll find that some of those NMs are not as difficult as you may have been led to believe, including Vidala which you can pop after using a Mirror's Tonic to negate the Petrify he uses to open the fight.
    (0)

Amchuchu for the bird lady, Cunnast, Gestalt and Angrboda (golem)
    Gessho for Vidala (Vidala does nuke but the nukes don't hurt at all)

If you go as blu, make sure to use Saline Coat for pretty much all of those NMs (vidala really doesn't hurt). If you have /run sub, that's also very useful for keeping resist against the proper element for whichever fight.

Also, Asura is famous because of reddit. Head over the ffxi sub {Over there} and ask for some help.
    (1)

Thanks for the advice folks. I do really appreciate it.
    (1)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The Ambuscade demon fight isn't bad, but it certainly reminded me that Dread Spikes, when used by monsters, could maybe use a nerf.
    (0)
    tandava crackows + chocobo jig + animated flourish = prouesse ring

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    Not on my jobs. I've read up on them. I only have BLU/THF/BRD no PLD and no BLM... I have BST but I don't play it since they ruined it.
    What did they do to BST? Didn't they just reworked the command radius? I still bring BST to Escha without problems.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Jin_Uzuki View Post
    What did they do to BST? Didn't they just reworked the command radius? I still bring BST to Escha without problems.
    Ugh
    ..Pandora's box was opened..

SE profoundly negatively impacted how BST plays, thereby ruining how many of us have played the job for a decade. The job abilities are hit or miss and I find myself having to run around my pet hitting my my macros several times 'hoping' they will fire... An idiotic adjustment that further shows SE makes brash adjustments to please mob mentality while disregarding the actual players of the jobs they damage.

/closes Pandora's box

Back to ambuscade. The points per completion need bumped up for smaller groups especially since less people (on Phoenix) seem interested in doing runs this month, at least so far lol.
    (3)

Jile nailed it. I don't find BST pleasurable to play anymore.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Player
    I don't get it. You can still self-sc (Which makes it desirable for CP party, as well Escha NM) and as far I know (Haven't done it in month since I got my August trust) BST burns are still viable for content like Sinister Reign.

What's the issue exactly?
    (0)

I don't get it. You can still self-sc (Which makes it desirable for CP party, as well Escha NM) and as far I know (Haven't done it in month since I got my August trust) BST burns are still viable for content like Sinister Reign.

The Nerf had the (presumably) unexpected effect of making JA's only work when you are within a 90 degree angle of the face of the mob your fighting and at or under 7 yalms away. This adjustment forces people, not to be engaged, but to run between their pets face and the mob its engaged with to use their macros and the functionality of said macros is compounded by the physical size of the mob your fighting you cannot stand behind nor past the 90 degree frontal axis and have JA's function.

Additionally if your fighting say the tauri and the demon casts on your pet and you need to reward your pet.... Forget about it, your pet is running to the demon because its stupid so you have to chase after your pet and hope to get back in range before it dies or use heel and then reward then send your pet again.

Bottom line to answer your question is SE made gameplay tedious and glitchy when it worked fine since BST's inception. If you didn't have the fortune of playing BST before the Nerf it might be hard to understand the job wasn't always so annoying to play.

Had SE used a modicum of restraint they would have made the JA range 20 yalms instead of ~7 and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    (2)
    Last edited by Jile; 05-13-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Okay, I like to think I'm less-biased on this one.

I was a bandwagon BST in the aby area (the age of lowman loved a solojob that could do almost anything, and could do anything teamed with other BSTs). I didn't particularly love the job but the pets were invincible, especially in Abyssea. (For a while, pets in Aby could have -100% DT or PDT, it might have just been PDT). So for a while, they were literally unkillable.

I left the job alone since before adoulin.

BST used to play like SMN, you sent your pet in, made it do its thing, and you stayed safe. Unlike SMN, your pets could tank quiet well and be healed.

Prior to the BST nerf, The very good BSTs were soloing Avatars on D and VD. They were doing this because they could exploit terrain and stand at a safe distance from the bosses while still in range of their pets to order attacks and Reward. I believe that I could have done this too, all it takes is sitting in your best Pet-DT gear gear, using the right pet, and swapping for Ready commands.

Now I've been playing BST because my friends want to screw around on pet jobs. Generally it's fine, I don't mind it. It does get a bit irritating when you're meleeing with your pet, it switches target to something within melee range and it's suddenly too far away to command. BST pets are just like smn pets in that they hit the last thing to hit them (although they don't care what hits you, unless you Snarl and have actual enmity on the mobs). So it can be difficult to keep your pet focused and within range. If you're dealing with a LOT of mobs, it can be quite frustrating finding your pet.

Does the range need to be as long as it was? I don't think so. 10 or 15 should do. I shouldn't just be safe from all AOEs, freely Ready'ing without regard to TP (my tp or my pet's). I do have to say that I don't really see a problem with how far a BST should be able to Reward from. I'd leave Ready, Sic, and Snarl at a shortened range though.

Edit: I don't know if avatar solos are still possible (for bst), probably.
    (1)
    Last edited by OmnysValefor; 05-13-2016 at 04:28 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast