Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

Request: Achievements Windows 10

Some of us had the oportunity to play FFXI on Xbox 360. Now that the game no longer works with this console it it possible to link the same profile to gamertag used on Windows 10 through the Xbox Live App? I really want to finish all the achievements I never did while the console version was working.
    (1)

I think Achievements are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. I feel it would be a waste of development time.
    (2)

Character
    Avina
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 85
    This is actually a pretty brilliant idea, in order to keep that feature present--but I doubt the dev time is there to get it all hooked in.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    I think Achievements are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. I feel it would be a waste of development time.
    Well the achievements dilemma has been there since they were introduced, not gonna dig on that. Not everyone likes them. But since the work for the Xbox version is already done it shouldn't be hard to implement on the pc. Maybe the problem may arise when dealing with Microsoft. I just want the feature that shouldn't be hard to do.
    (0)

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I like achievements/trophies, for me they extend the life of a game and as a result I end up paying for new games less often because I'm playing a game through more thoroughly in a quest of completion.
    (0)

Player
    Small dev team and you want them to add something that will benefit a tiny minority of people?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Small dev team and you want them to add something that will benefit a tiny minority of people?
    Steam and what not have also added achievements to things, to my understand. But I feel that it might be easier if they add a way for those that have a 360 to still unlock the achievements they would be missing while still playing on the PC. As it stands they can still log into the Playonline Viewer, so maybe something that way. I know if I played for as long as some people and couldn't ever complete a game that I loved, it'd bum me out. Fortunately, I completed all the achievements for the game before the time expired, but I can totally see how it would suck for others that hadn't.
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Small Dev Team that only needs to change some code that already exists on Xbox. I don't think the xbox live api is any different from console to pc. The structure of achievments is already there. It's more of a copy/paste job really. Besides it would open this to everyone that has access to the xbox live app on windows 10, which you can get for free as an upgrade from microsoft.
    (0)
    Last edited by AoiX; 04-16-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Character
    Avina
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 85
    I don't think it is as simple as you make it sound, and being a programmer myself, I know that is not merely a copy/paste job.

While it worked for the 360, that was likely a very tailored and custom-made job. The game was never built to support something like XBox Live when it was on the PlayStation and PC. That was something that had to be cooked up specifically for the 360 version. You are talking about an extra account layer on top of the already complicated setup (PlayOnline account hooks into Square-Enix).

I SUSPECT the way it worked for XI was something to the effect of the game sending code out that would be read by the XBox as an achievement unlocking. The thing is, that could only really been done since the game was taking a Live account being signed in for granted. On a PC, you have to account for the possibility that the user may not be a member of XBox Live, and that likely becomes more complicated.

Not that I wouldn't want to see this get implemented at some point, but I do feel that it is likely a bit of a stretch, and I don't think it is as easy as you are making it out to be. With a bigger dev team, yes, but as things are...

Then again, Matsui continues to impress me with just how much he's able to do with basically no resources at all, so...
    (1)

Player
    Of course it's not a copy + paste thing. It has to be done properly. But the structure of achievments is relatively simple and something that SE knows how it works (not just ffxi but all the countless games released for xbox). Not to mention that said achievments already exist. The other way around PlayOnline accounts bind to one Xbox gamertag and one only. There's no way to bind to multiple xbox live accounts and specially no need to if you are appealing to console players that want a continuity on a pc enviroment. The Xbox App on Windows 10 let's you access the same account you use on xbox without any problems. So even if it had to be recoded for PC, the person doing the process already knows which flags to tag and use the existing option to unlock achievments from the bard npcs all over vana'diel (this is how it worked on xbox).

As a coder, you may want to check GamerServices and look for the achievments class and its collection. (MSDN Library).

The complexity of this task is no harder than what computer science students get at the end of first semester or at latest second semester.
    (0)
    Last edited by AoiX; 04-20-2016 at 04:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast