Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Ashleh
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    I think all the ease of use changes made to the original content (and more) have spoiled a lot of the player base, as evidenced by this thread. Quit QQing and put some hard work in.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    Nope, think they only have it if someone sells it to them. Gotten one from the goblins so far, only using TH 2 so probably gonna take a while.
    Didn't they change it within the past year so that guild vendors restock themselves?
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think all the ease of use changes made to the original content (and more) have spoiled a lot of the player base, as evidenced by this thread. Quit QQing and put some hard work in.
    Lol I've been playing since launch, I did all of zilart, CoP and ToAU without any of the QoL changes or nerfs such as level restriction removals and none of it ever felt as clunky as hunting these key items, yes there were annoying sections but they were part of the story and usually deep into it so I at least had stuff to keep me interested and immersed while doing it. The problem here is that it is a chore thrown at you before making me feel any kind of invested in this content.

CoP set up an interesting mystery before throwing promyvion at you which was an interesting new dungeon even if doing all 3 was a nuisance, collecting zilart coffer keys to get to kazham to start zilart was a minor inconvenience at best, same with collecting a testimony to begin ToAU. None of them had this many side quests and going out of your way (unless you consider doing the story out of your way) just to explore the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvinta View Post
    Didn't they change it within the past year so that guild vendors restock themselves?
    Dunno but this was the first place I went and all they had was hides.
    (2)

Did you get it done, though?
    (0)

Player
    Considering when expansions were released and the requirements at the time, Adoulin is pretty much straight forward and for what you can do it's the most accesable expansion as far as I'm conserned. CoP was too difficult for many when a new batch of missions was released. Same goes with WotG. ToAU was also accesable for most of the areas but you don't interact with the enviroment as much as you do with adoulin. If you want things just served to you, adoulin is the one that makes the best job at it. Key Items are just a little hurdle you have to do.
    (0)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    Did you get it done, though?
    Getting through slowly, I can keep updating my story on the previous page if you like :P lol. Got to marijimi ravine finally then got hit with the back track mallet again and now I'm in yashe hunting grounds heading to morimar for the pulverising KI. Picked up poison resistance on the way too.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 04-15-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Player
    Keep the good work. Enjoy the expansion.
    (0)

You can basically travel anywhere in Vana'diel today in the blink of an eye with Telepoint crystals and such... and we're complaining about talking to an NPC, trading him 2 items, and waiting for a cutscene to finish? I mean, yah, MMOs today are different than when XI came out but these key items are the epitome of "baby's first quest" even by modern standards, theres not even a wait time. s'matter with ya'll?

Grumpy old man complaining aside... I understand the "overwhelming" bit, and yah they were a bit redundant, but my recommendation is to simply do them as you need them... I think very few places in adoulin require these Key items so thats lucky. Take it one at a time instead of sprinting and it'll not burn you out as much. Good luck.
    (1)

9. 04-17-2016 08:20 AM

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Let me first say I agree that these quests should probably be simplified at this point. That being said, I don't think these were intended specifically to be annoying timesinks (well, I'm sure that was part of the thought process, this being an MMO and everything).

I think when you consider that the key word for Adoulin was "Colonization", it puts things into perspective a bit. (Though if they enable Mounts in these areas it'll further diminish that motif)

The idea was that Ulbuka is a harsh land, left unexplored for many generations after colonization was closed off 200 years ago. So you needing to learn how to chop through logs, climb vines, endure toxic fumes or destroy certain kinds of rocks was supposed to play to that motif. In gameplay terms if all you're thinking is, "I want to beat the game/I want to see the plot" you'll only see making your character learn these skills as meaningless busywork. Doesn't really help that the teleporters are already everywhere- when Adoulin first came out, those weren't there, so that feeling was a bit more significant- that and ilevel wasn't a thing yet so areas actually felt a lot more dangerous. So I guess in some ways, the way the game has changed gameplay-wise since the release of Adoulin has kinda killed the original motif for it, so I can't really say I'm against them changing these quests up somehow.

Kind of interesting to think about though- CoP's strict level caps was what allowed SE to "control" the difficulty of encounters. They didn't do this with any of the expansions after that, so people usually just rushed their characters to level cap ASAP and then steamrolled all the story by overleveling it. I guess these days people would frown upon CoP's style being used again. I'll agree before level sync existed the tedium of keeping lots of level-appropriate armor was ridiculous but I think it after that was introduced, it's an interesting compromise between allowing players of all levels to progress the story and keeping the difficulty "static" for all players. Wonder how things would've played out if Adoulin had ilevel sync or something.
    (0)

Character
    Ashleh
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    Lol I've been playing since launch, I did all of zilart, CoP and ToAU without any of the QoL changes or nerfs such as level restriction removals and none of it ever felt as clunky as hunting these key items, yes there were annoying sections but they were part of the story and usually deep into it so I at least had stuff to keep me interested and immersed while doing it. The problem here is that it is a chore thrown at you before making me feel any kind of invested in this content.

Lol, ok? I have been playing since launch too. What point are you trying to make here?

The fact is, you're complaining about some tedious quests in a game built on tedious quests. If you've been playing so long you shouldn't have much problem with "talk to this guy" then "go get this item and bring it back", etc etc. Simple stuff, man. I understand that you're older now and want an easier less time-consuming game to play, that's fine because I feel the same way a lot, but at least admit it.
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast