Character
    Primitive
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

questions on goldsmtihing

i know i shouldnt post this but im doing it anyway bc theres no other way to learn. i see in goldsmithing people hqing 3 voodoo a day. how the heck do they do that? i am lucky to get 1/350. either i just have the crappiest luck or theres a big loophole im missing. i would like people to speculate on what their ideas and opinions are on that. really wanna get to the bottom of the randomness that is SE.
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    It's not all that random at all. It's people who are using gear, food, and synthesis support to bolster their HQ rates. I may be misremembering the exact numbers, but at 11+ levels higher than the craft's level, you have a 10% chance of HQ. At 31+ you have a 25% chance.

So let's look at the numbers. First, skill+ stuff. You have your two guild pieces (+2 total skill), your stall (+5 skill, iirc), and your torque (+2 skill). I know cooking also has a Hocho for it, but I'm not sure if Goldsmithing has additional items. So let's go with this, which is +9 skill. Atop of that, you can also add Synthesis Support from your guild, which is +3 more, for a total of +12 Skill. So, assuming you are capped, that's 122 skill. This means that you can hit T2 on any craft that's 91 or lower, or T1 at any craft that's 111 or lower. This brings you up to a 10% HQ rate already, barring failure. Without these boosts, at a cap of 110 you can T1 crafts of level 99 or lower only. Which, for voodoo gear shouldn't be an issue if you're using -1s, as they're like a mid-90s synth. If you're using NQ gear to try and get Voodoo, then you're looking at >110 craft caps, lowering your chances of even hitting T1.

And then there's the case of food and Ionis, both of which are also valuable. Coconut Rusk (really, all of the Rusks, but I believe that Coconut was the highest boost) adds to HQ rate and reduces materials lost on a break, if the wikis can be believed (and it's on both BG and FFXIcyclopedia, so I'm willing to believe it's the truth). Ionis doesn't add to HQ rate, but does improve success rates, and in a way that does help; if you fail, you can't HQ, obviously.

So yeah, make sure you're considering all of these factors when you're crafting. And remember that even with these factors, the RNG can still screw you over.
    (1)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Character
    Primitive
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

2 things

2 things first i dont have the goldsmithing torque yet, maybe thats why i dont hq so much, and 2nd what about rng?
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Random Number Generator, sorry. I keep forgetting the shared acronym.
    (1)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku