Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Things that make no sense

So the point of this thread is for players to post things that make no sense in FFXI.

I'll start off with a few:

1) The Job Rune "Fencer" doesn't get the fencer job trait. Hardcore fail IMO. This really could have been avoided if SE just changed the name of the job.

2) PUP having a throwing skill. They can't use it, so seriously, what the hell?

3) Shinryu not being a member of the wyrm family. Seriously, the monster's name means "Lord Dragon".
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by cengeal View Post
    I had a fight over this with someone many years ago, when PUP was the only job that didn't get a WSNM Technique and said they should get Asuran Fists.

1.) Odin's Protocrystal was beneath Castle Zvahl Baileys, but he is later found in Aht Urhgan where he and Alexander have destroyed a city. '30 Years' prior to the start of the game, He is still present in Xarcabard, but caused the City's Destruction ~1750 Years Prior to the Start of the Game in Aht Urhgan.
    (3)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Mortificator
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Here is the number one for me is that Summoner gets a A- rating for skill when its SMN's only magic skill. Or that SMN gets native dagger skill yet i think there is only 2 daggers we can use.
    (4)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    1) The Job Rune "Fencer" doesn't get the fencer job trait. Hardcore fail IMO. This really could have been avoided if SE just changed the name of the job.
    "Rune Fencer" literally means "fencing with runes" ie. "you use runes to fence with." So it makes sense. If you watch Olympic Fencing contests, you see the quick hand-movements, and graceful weaving arm-movements. This is similar to a Rune Fencer using runes, quickly and deftly.

Also "Fencer" is of course 1-handed, and RuneFencers mainly use 2-handed weapons.

1) PLD has godly staff skill, even though their job is totally based on the use of shields full-time.
    2) PLD has godly staff skill, but has no RME Staves.
    3) WAR gets Fencer trait, Fencers use swords, WAR has a high sword skill, but WAR has no RME Swords.
    4) That girl in the jewellery shop in Lower Jeuno has been looking at the same three necklaces for over 12 years Earth Time. When is she going to pick one!
    5) The Tarutaru Dom Ops NPC at Flux-8 Altepa[a] has introduced herself to me over 500,000 times. She keeps telling me that she is new to her job, even though we both know that is not true!

(4)
    Last edited by Stompa; 04-02-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added Mister Big Eyes.

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    "Rune Fencer" literally means "fencing with runes" ie. "you use runes to fence with." So it makes sense. If you watch Olympic Fencing contests, you see the quick hand-movements, and graceful weaving arm-movements. This is similar to a Rune Fencer using runes, quickly and deftly.

Also "Fencer" is of course 1-handed, and RuneFencers mainly use 2-handed weapons.
    Yeah that's my point, the whole thing could have been avoided if they had just called it Rune Master or something else. Rune Warrior would even have been more appropriate. At best, the job title is misleading, at worst it's a title that contradicts itself.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by cengeal View Post
    So the point of this thread is for players to post things that make no sense in FFXI.

I'll start off with a few:

3) Shinryu not being a member of the wyrm family. Seriously, the monster's name means "Lord Dragon".
    Number 3 had me laugh for a while. Thanks for pointing that out.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    I had a fight over this with someone many years ago, when PUP was the only job that didn't get a WSNM Technique and said they should get Asuran Fists.

1.) Odin's Protocrystal was beneath Castle Zvahl Baileys, but he is later found in Aht Urhgan where he and Alexander have destroyed a city. '30 Years' prior to the start of the game, He is still present in Xarcabard, but caused the City's Destruction ~1750 Years Prior to the Start of the Game in Aht Urhgan.
    I didn't know this about Odin and Xarcabard. Good information.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice View Post
    I didn't know this about Odin and Xarcabard. Good information.
    It's been a long time since I've played through all of the stories (So please correct me if I don't remember things correctly), but in WotG you learn that the darkness that calls out to Raogrimm after Cornelia's death is Odin. It's through his power, the Shadowlord summons the Kindred and wages war on the people that betrayed him. Skip forward to the Crystal War and the fall of Tavnazia, Emeline is kidnapped and used because of her 'special skills,' Freeing Odin and destroying his protocrystal (or at least surmised). Next if you skip to CoP/Present day, there's a quest in Windurst Waters called Tuning in/out. Shikaree Y is inquiring on how to destroy the protocrystals, in the intro of the second quest, you learn she is seen headed towards Xarcabard. Leepe-Hoppe comments that he doesn't understand why she's going there when the protocrystal is in Fei'Yin, to which Iidy-Goldy says that it's was long believed a Crystal of Darkness was said to be in Xarcabard. The exact location of the crystal is implied to have been in the Bearclaw Pinnacle, but it's never said if the Crystals can't be moved or if the Pinnacle stretches out further under into Xarcabard.

2.) There are several (un)Lucky items, but no luck stat.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zeargi; 04-05-2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Run on sentences
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You can get Black Sole, Tuna and such in your net, within the Mog Garden. However, you cant catch them with rod and bait from the Garden shore!
    (0)

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Came up with another one to add!

Anytime a lower tier spell overwrites a higher tier spell of the same family. Biggest offender: slowga overwriting Haste 2. I just fail to see how that makes any sense. Even though it's AoE, it is still a T1 spell. It always seemed to me that the whole point of higher tier spells is that they are more potent and take priority over lower tiered spells.
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast