Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I'm of the mind that if they have no plans to merge servers, they should abolish the server transfer fee and instead enact a daily cooldown. This would have the net benefit of allowing people to freely explore and find a server that's right for them, while those who worry about congestion could feasibly transfer with their friends to a lesser populated server and continue to play uninhibited.

Of course, I don't think anyone would argue against more "instances" of Legion/Ambuscade, Salvage, and various BCs. Which tends to be the general complaint against the merge request. Nonetheless, since cross-server play isn't a thing, LFG tools are bare bones, and general PUG elitism is a thing, people finding others to do what they want to is an uphill battle in the current server environment.
    (0)

Character
    Immortta
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    That would be a really bad idea for the community as it would completely destroy it imo. Not to mention issues with name stealing and it makes 0 sense for SE to do from a business standpoint.
    (2)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    On the contrary, happy players are more likely to continue keep playing, thus paying. "Just go to Asura!" is only going to work for so long, and the alternative of consistently paying to swap servers until you do find that match is simply a pill not many are willing to swallow.

Otherwise, we're not in 2005 anymore. If you're foolish enough to have something like an LS bank, you deserve every bit of risk that it's stolen. And short of things like +1 synths, most everything of worth nowadays is also R/E, which means once its in someone's possession, that's it. Doesn't matter if they keep playing, quit tomorrow, or jump to another server, no one else will be getting that given item from them.

As for name theft, well, I'm of the mind people tend to take that a bit too personally. Of all the potentially unique combinations of letters in the English alphabet, coming up with something decidedly "you" isn't as difficult as it may seem. No, not everyone can be Cloud, Sephiroth, Naruto, or whatever other "common" or "popular" name, but they also shouldn't be. And if you are taking that extra step to jump over with friends, you should definitely have an outside means of contacting them just so you can sync back up in the event your name is taken. I'm not completely heartless, though. Anyone who hasn't played in a year should probably forfeit a name's rights in the event someone does want it. Losing that isn't as tragic as, say, XIV's housing situation.
    (0)

Character
    Obysuca
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin_Uzuki View Post
    Alright, free week. Surely this means a lot of people are going to be into the game!
    Exactly how I felt. The last free time, my friend's list exploded with people returning, even people I haven't seen in 7-10 years came back. This time? Not a single person online, both of my ls are dead empty except the occasional ~5 people in one :/ That's one thing that keeps me from fully resubbing consistently. Lack of people and what people there are, never do anything. I know that doesn't help the problem >_> but still lol

I have a burning passion to play XI, especially since the majority of mmos out are boring / plain bad and XI is still pretty good (though not as good as it once was), but it's kinda depressing to get on, see no one on, try to start something, get no one, finally see someone doing something, but then because you're not a blm, geo, sch that's geared to the teeth, then you don't get invited and you think "I guess I'll try to gear one of those so I can gear the job I actually enjoy", but then you run into the "you need this gear to do it" people, but said gear is from the content you're trying to do...

I know for a fact (done it multiple times back before everyone I knew quit) that my pup can easily tank pretty much anything in the game, it's just no one wants pup or to give it a try, at least from my experience. Maybe it's better on other servers.
    (0)
    Last edited by Obysuca; 08-15-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriha View Post
    On the contrary, happy players are more likely to continue keep playing, thus paying. "Just go to Asura!" is only going to work for so long, and the alternative of consistently paying to swap servers until you do find that match is simply a pill not many are willing to swallow.

Otherwise, we're not in 2005 anymore. If you're foolish enough to have something like an LS bank, you deserve every bit of risk that it's stolen. And short of things like +1 synths, most everything of worth nowadays is also R/E, which means once its in someone's possession, that's it. Doesn't matter if they keep playing, quit tomorrow, or jump to another server, no one else will be getting that given item from them.

As for name theft, well, I'm of the mind people tend to take that a bit too personally. Of all the potentially unique combinations of letters in the English alphabet, coming up with something decidedly "you" isn't as difficult as it may seem. No, not everyone can be Cloud, Sephiroth, Naruto, or whatever other "common" or "popular" name, but they also shouldn't be. And if you are taking that extra step to jump over with friends, you should definitely have an outside means of contacting them just so you can sync back up in the event your name is taken. I'm not completely heartless, though. Anyone who hasn't played in a year should probably forfeit a name's rights in the event someone does want it. Losing that isn't as tragic as, say, XIV's housing situation.
    I disagree over the name. I had to move before and my son lost his name and it hasn't been quite the same since. When he plays, he often says how he misses it, and I do too. Our friends still call him by his original name because that's who he was to them for so many years. Others quit because of the name change. There were other circumstances as well, but if you do love your name and lose it, it doesn't help.

Name aside, I don't want a merge because I like the server I'm on as it is. It's just about perfect for me and my friends. I definitely don't want more overcrowding and over camping anymore than we have now. In fact, I could take a little less, but the last thing I want is another forced merge.

I'm not against letting people voluntarily move if they want with a free move over forced server merges. Free voluntary moves once a year or so. I don't understand why someone has to have the ability to keep swapping servers over and over till they find a match. You need time to meet folks. Random jumping won't help. Maybe the problem isn't the server, and those people will never be happy? Why ruin other servers because of a few?
    (1)

Character
    Saruhiko
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Personally I'd not mind a server merge. It is getting a bit lonely here on Siren. I've yet to encounter anyone who levels Monipulators like I do. If it'll help me meet fellow Monsters, by all means, merge away.
    (0)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    San d'Oria, Windurst, Bastok: Rank 10
    ZM:O CoP:O AU:O ACP:O
    Italian Dragoon FTW! <3 Azure 4Ever. (Roleplayer)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by kylani View Post
    I disagree over the name. I had to move before and my son lost his name and it hasn't been quite the same since. When he plays, he often says how he misses it, and I do too. Our friends still call him by his original name because that's who he was to them for so many years. Others quit because of the name change. There were other circumstances as well, but if you do love your name and lose it, it doesn't help.

Name aside, I don't want a merge because I like the server I'm on as it is. It's just about perfect for me and my friends. I definitely don't want more overcrowding and over camping anymore than we have now. In fact, I could take a little less, but the last thing I want is another forced merge.

I'm not against letting people voluntarily move if they want with a free move over forced server merges. Free voluntary moves once a year or so. I don't understand why someone has to have the ability to keep swapping servers over and over till they find a match. You need time to meet folks. Random jumping won't help. Maybe the problem isn't the server, and those people will never be happy? Why ruin other servers because of a few?
    Well, personally I don't understand why people don't want a server with a lot of people.

I feel like I'm reading some FFXIV fans posts in here. "No! I'll have to interact with people and compete with them! The horror!".

I thought one of the things that drew people toward Final Fantasy XI over the more modern "MMORPG" was the ability to meet people everywhere, the fact that it relied on randoms interactions and getting to know new people through them. I want to reach the depth of Caslte Oztroja and meet someone and team up with him. I want to find that new player in West Sarutabaruta and help him. I want to see people doing all the kinds of different activities, and not just spamming Ambu because it's impossible to gear for anything else due to the lack of activity.

What's the point of a server with 300 people? Those are literally 5 groups of people. Why not just play a co-op RPG at that point? I'm honestly confused. It's not like a server can't survive 1,200 players on average, as Asura and RoV-period already prove.
    (2)

Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin_Uzuki View Post
    Well, personally I don't understand why people don't want a server with a lot of people.

I feel like I'm reading some FFXIV fans posts in here. "No! I'll have to interact with people and compete with them! The horror!".

I thought one of the things that drew people toward Final Fantasy XI over the more modern "MMORPG" was the ability to meet people everywhere, the fact that it relied on randoms interactions and getting to know new people through them. I want to reach the depth of Caslte Oztroja and meet someone and team up with him. I want to find that new player in West Sarutabaruta and help him. I want to see people doing all the kinds of different activities, and not just spamming Ambu because it's impossible to gear for anything else due to the lack of activity.

What's the point of a server with 300 people? Those are literally 5 groups of people. Why not just play a co-op RPG at that point? I'm honestly confused. It's not like a server can't survive 1,200 players on average, as Asura and RoV-period already prove.
    I don't understand why you think 300 people is 5 groups of people, and I don't know why you assume I don't like playing with others. Do you know how many people are on every server? Why do people assume all servers are alike? And more importantly, why do you think everyone needs to be forced moved vs. being offered the choice of moving? Why is your opinion more important than anyone else?

Every night when I log in, I see plenty of people and see plenty of shouts for groups. I talk to friends, help folks who ask, even strangers shouting for a crafter. What do you do for your server?
    (0)

Since its free for the next couple of weeks, just logged in and it is a ghost town, 500 people with most of them afk bazzaring stuff. They do need to merge the servers or something this is pretty sad. Checked about 7 of my random LS and one of them had 2 people the rest were empty.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by kylani View Post
    I don't understand why you think 300 people is 5 groups of people,
    Well, if there are 300 people, half of them are going to be AFK/Bazaar, you aren't left with much.

and I don't know why you assume I don't like playing with others.
    I dunno, I read you would even prefer less players if you could, so uh...

I mean, it's not like even the most popular servers are exploding with players.

And more importantly, why do you think everyone needs to be forced moved vs. being offered the choice of moving? Why is your opinion more important than anyone else?
    If they let me the choice to move for FREE I think I would take it, but I'm not gonna pay 20€ on the top of a subs to... play a MMORPG again? uh?

Bedside, why do I need to move, lose all the people I've know, to play a MMROPG because some people think they are playing FFXI: My private space edition?

Last time I checked this was advertised as a Massive Multiplayer Online Game.

Every night when I log in, I see plenty of people and see plenty of shouts for groups. I talk to friends, help folks who ask, even strangers shouting for a crafter. What do you do for your server?
    Well, congratulation, Fenrir is an healthy status I guess.
    As for what I do? I generally try to help as much as I can, especially returning since a lot of "gear up" events like Skirmish/Vagary/Delve aren't done in shouts/en masse anymore and it's hard to do even Escha T1 for them.

Other than that?

Sometimes, it's hard to get even an Ambu group going on. :< Shouts for anything but CP parties are rare.

I'm not trying to hate on my Server, there are a lot of great people on Sylph (a lot of them stopped playing since ironically not too much to do) and I'm still having plenty of fun when things get going, but it's a fact that the playerbase is slowly, but surely, diminishing.
    (2)
    Last edited by Jin_Uzuki; 08-17-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast