Character
    Creelo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

Dark Matter Augmentation/Campaign

I've found this campaign to be really interesting, particularly with the results of the gear and the feelings it has left with me on Dark Matter augmenting. It's a strange mix because doing the free augments is one of my current favorite parts of logging into FFXI atm because the results can be so crazy. However, the results are more often than not utter trash.

Because of this, it's awesome that the devs implemented this campaign to give us free augments for gear. However, this campaign has also instilled the ideology within me and everyone else I've talked to that Dark Matter augmenting is completely futile outside of the campaign. Because we are only given 1 augment chance for 1 dark matter, the odds are incredibly out of the player's favor to get anything useful. The main problem with this is the total lack of Dark Matter along with the fact that Dark Matter's cost has increased quite a bit (on Sylph they generally go for 1mil each). Today on my three characters within my account, I got trash on every single augment attempt; that would've been 18 million gil down the drain if you could even find 18 dark matters.

So basically, unless they change the amount of augment attempts you get per a single dark matter (maybe 3-6 tries per dark matter?), it doesn't seem worth it to try augmenting outside of the free campaign. I'm really curious to see what others have thought about with this campaign.
    (2)

Character
    Voicememo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Yes, attempts with dark matter seem like a greater risk than reward. I still have yet to see any brds that I know get the "all songs" augment on any chironic gear. I've done the 6 per day, every day it's been offered and haven't gotten that augment yet.
    (0)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    I don't think Song+ exists.

To the OP, I completely agree that this campaign should kill all motivation to augment with dark matter (at least in its current form). If we're getting 6 free augments then it's probably fair to give even a dozen or more tries per dark matter.
    (1)

I love this campaign for just the randomness of it, its fun. But I think this Campaign has taught me it would be financially irresponsible to ever purchase Dark Matter with the intent of using it in Augments. I don't think I've gotten a single serviceable augment the last two weeks, not even 1.

Its hands down the worst random augment system to date, and while it can produce some really amazing items, Its simply not worth the money.
    (2)

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Considering the amount of money spent on dark matter you should get several attempts per dark matter.
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Some people have had amazing luck, but I definitely have not seen 1 usable augment in the entire two weeks.
    (0)