Like arsenic plants.
    (2)

Character
    Laraul
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 97
    You people really need to go visit the ToAU areas... I mean really... those are some impressive looking environments.

Of course, why AREN'T you drawn to these impressive looking areas? Oh yeah... they'res not much to do there. And just cuz it's pretty doesn't mean it makes it fun.

Someone close this dumb thread... I mean if you have some common sense you'll understand why this just does not matter. And if you don't you'll just do what I did and respond... ugh...
    (1)
    Last edited by Laraul; 06-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Thread is tl;dr so my idea was probably stated already.

Many, many years ago, a little MMO called Ultima Online did something to get people out of the "dark ages." People wouldn't buy expansions, and only had the base game. At one point, they decided to make a 3D client. This meant that they had to program for the original client, the client from the first expansion to the 3D client, and the 3D client.

What they ended up doing was sending a copy of the game's "second expansion" (I use the term loosely, because everyone had access to that addition.) and discontinuing support for the base game.

With systems like Steam and D2D, SE wouldn't be losing out on too much if they sent people who had a PS2 registration code to allow them to download the game. Just put out a warning about it, tell people to make sure they update their address and/or email in POL, and let them get a free copy of the newest collection.

They could do this on Xbox as well, but they'd have to put FFXI up on the Marketplace. If they wanted to do that, they'd have to make something that would let players choose which system they wanted to get their free download on. Maybe announce a date they end support, and if someone hasn't chosen by then, they get the option to choose what version they want, but can't get into POL.

And that's my opinion.
    (0)

Character
    Mordanthos
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    If they made this game look like FFxiv, i wouldnt be able to play it, cuz i dont have a super system. Bad idea man. The loss of PS2 support doesnt mean upgrade graphics, besides, transfering this games current graphic to look like FFxiv would cost way too much, and take way tooo much time, u wouldnt play FFxi again for like, a year or more. Remapping and building all these landscapes, man you lost your mind. Better not upgrade the graphics on this game, it already looks great as it is.
    (3)

Character
    Katz
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 57
    I have 1 account, I play it on the playstation, xbox or pc depending on where I am. Its the same information, all stored in the same place, doesnt matter which platform I run it from it all works fine. Some people dont understand this and continually refer to PS2 systems or xbox systems. Its the same thing people, all you are doing is talking about FFXI and why its not changing fast enough for you. Smaller populations equals less income equals less desire to change the game equals more pc users complaining
    (1)

Character
    Shenlong
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    either way a minimum graphical update on FFXI for the PC and X360 would be nice, and just do the normal things for the PS2 Ver. of the game. can't improve much on it anyways, i mean aside from adding game content, they can't really polish much more the graphics on the PS2, even with clever programing or techniques or whatever is that they do.
    still i like the PS2 graphics of the game, that's how i started playing this game since 2004, on a PS2 and old blurry TV lol . ^^
    (0)
    Blackmage POWER!!!! *since 2004*

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I find it interesting that the excuse is still PS2 limitations when they have explained that the servers basically tell the client your char data and what is going on, your client then changes this into graphics for you to see

the way I see it, the devs could infact give the PC/XB360 and possibly the PS3 a brand new client without ever effecting the PS2 and its limitations, that is why when the devs say PS2 limitations I just shrug it off because I really don't believe that is the truth, they could easily port FFXI to the FFXIV graphics engine for one and still use the same game mechanics

I think it would be nice to see them do something with that new graphics engine besides let it sit on a stale game that I highly doubt will ever truly be "good enough for the players" so why not use it for something that is active and being asked for?
    (1)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    I have 1 account, I play it on the playstation, xbox or pc depending on where I am. Its the same information, all stored in the same place, doesnt matter which platform I run it from it all works fine.
    I understand this point entirely, as a player who registered two accounts using two different PC versions, upgraded one with an Xbox version, and plays each character on PC or Xbox as my needs demand. While I've completely negated my next point based on this knowledge, I'm sure there has to be some data that goes into what type of disc receives a code. I could be wrong though. I know there has to be data transferred between your system and SE's servers, because when an update goes through, it has to know what system to get the data for. I don't think it'd be farfetched for them to add extra code for your account to record what systems you log into.

If anything, maybe they could offer a free PC or Xbox copy of an earlier Vana'diel Collection on a sign-up basis (I'm thinking the 2007 version.).
    (0)

Is there actually a recent publication out there that breaks down subscribers by platform? I'm being serious. I want to know if I somehow missed something or if people are just talking out of their asses when they say the majority of (group of players) are on PS2.
    (0)
    Dear Customer,
    We have determined that the post you made was in violation of the User Agreement policies. The post was edited or deleted accordingly.
    Original Post:
    Signature states "JP ONRY" in Japanese.

Last time I checked, over 2/3 of the JP player base is on PS2. So, unless SONY puts backwards compatibility back into the PS3 or a PS3 port is launched, we're kind of stuck. It would be economic suicide for SE to simply just drop PS2 support, as much as a lot of us would like to see that happen.

I'm sure it's been said before but the major limiting factor of the PS2 that keeps holding back a lot of stuff the devs could be doing, is the low RAM count of 256 MB. Not to mention the limited HDD space, which is basically why we haven't had a new expansion since WotG.

So unless some kind of compromise is made, we're either just going to continue as is (the likely scenario) or SE might throw us a bone and start making content exclusive to PC/360 users, which would tick off the PS2 base but might also motivate them to get with the times.
    (1)

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast