Character
    Saryx
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 11

Is it too late to try to learn this game

Hey.

I'm new player (I've played about 14 hours) and I'd like to ask if it's even a good idea to try to learn this game since it feels so dead. I'm suprised that FFXI is as dead as it is considering that DAoC seems to be more populated.
    (0)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Yes. This game does not exist for new players.

You can do everything this game has to offer in less than your 1st month trial period, except the current toughest content.

It's dead as dead can possibly be, but everything you need to know can be learned in maybe 10 minutes. Your trust magic will solo the entire game for you until you reach level 99, you can almost literally play blindfolded.

If it moves kill it. Do the Record of Eminence objectives the game recommends you do, it's in the quests menu, it basically holds your hand. Learn what ffxiwiki is, and use it everytime you have a question about content prior to 2015.

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com

You will hit a level cap at 50, it shouldn't in theory take you more than a day for this to happen. Then you'll need to know how to break the level cap using that wiki.
    (0)

3. 02-16-2016 02:58 PM

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    The mechanics are all relatively simple. The problem is that they're never explained in game anywhere. The wikis, ffxiclopedia and bg-wiki, can be consulted to explain 99.999% of everything.

One of the many problems with the game is players not understanding the mechanics, and thus making extremely poor choices in gear and tactics.
    (1)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    If you don't have a good reason to be on bahamut you might find it more lively on asura.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarys View Post
    Hey.

I'm new player (I've played about 14 hours) and I'd like to ask if it's even a good idea to try to learn this game since it feels so dead. I'm suprised that FFXI is as dead as it is considering that DAoC seems to be more populated.
    First, welcome to XI!

SE has made a wonderful game for you to explore. If you take your time, watch and read the cutscenes in the large number of missions and quests, there is a lot to take in and enjoy. If you're looking for quick gratification and an instantly uber powerful character, you're going to be disappointed. If you're wanting to solo (with trusts) your way through over a decade of content and working toward ilvl119 gear so you can take part in harder content, then you're in the right place.

I've heard the reddit linkshell on Asura https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/ needs 2 linkshells to hold all their members because the 1st one overflows and while I see new players all the time here on Phoenix for example, there just are not a lot of people able to dedicate their time to assist new players like there used to be... I can't speak for Bahamut but if it's as dead as you're saying, like Hoshi said, you may want to consider moving to or restarting on Asura.

While the fan site's like ffxiah.com, http://www.bg-wiki.com/ and http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com sites will get you through, when you know what to look for.. the wiki's are severely outdated as the main players who maintained it retired from XI long ago.

While it's also severely outdated, you may get some benefit looking at this site to locate where decent camps of yesteryear were to ease some of your search for where to get exp from: http://campsitarus.blogspot.com/

I hope you enjoy your experience on XI. Again, welcome.
    (3)
    Last edited by Jile; 02-17-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    You will never learn what we learned years ago. SE has changed the game so now everyone can take their time to enjoy the world of Vana'diel especially the old content (soloable). Keep in mind, all three starting cities are very quiet until you move to a popular one aka Jeuno.

Most of veterans are doing the endgame together.
    Most of new characters who have returned and know what to do/where to go.
    Most of new players who only can play for not so long then quit. They aren't a social person and should have played FF14.

I have been playing this since 2003, started a new character again in 2010 and I still have so much stuff to do. If you feel don't want to waste too much your time, I would recommend you to play the story (each expansion has its own story). If you like the story you will like this game. To learn more you might want to look at the objective list under the quests menu.

Good luck.
    (1)

Character
    Saryx
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 11
    Thank you all for your answers. I can see this game has friedly and welcoming community that I find refreshing
    I have desided to give this game a change despite it's age and current status that comes to player numbers. I have always been a Final Fantasy fan I will be playing this game for story and experienses.

Once again thank you all and sorry for my late response. (Also sorry for bad english)
    (1)

Character
    Rydal
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I joined FFXI for the first time in June 2015 and I've adjusted very well (imo). First thing, as mentioned above, is use the wikis. Learn them. Love them. Bookmark them. Ffxiclopedia wikia is great for all pre-Adoulin missions and quests. Bgwiki is great for in-depth late to endgame content like Adoulin content, Abyssea, and all Rhapsodies of Vana'diel stuff. FFXI AH is great to learn more about your server's economy, other players and linkshell info (limited), and has some great guides for jobs. Unfortunately, some stuff is severely outdated so you might want to ask other players directly for later game stuff.

Second thing I'd suggest is joining a Linkshell immediately. Many beginner friendly Linkshells should have pearls available at the concierge NPC. Just grab one (or many) and see which Linkshell is a good fit for you. Other, more experienced players are invaluable. They can teach and explain things the wikis can't. They can help you through difficult fights or lend a hand farming something or leveling you up at higher levels. I wouldn't be where I am now without my LS mates.

I say if you're planning on putting in a lot of time into the game (level 99, Job points, legendary weapons), you'll want to do research into how your job works and that kind of stuff. If just going at your own pace and feeling the game out, you should be okay on your own/with your LS.

I solo'd basically from 1 to maybe 60+ before I found a LS. I still pretty much soloed except if someone allowed me to leech a few levels, but my LS introduced me to Dynamis, Abyssea, gave advice on what to do next (or first), and explained game mechanics I probably wouldn't have learned about unless I specifically sat down and research game mechanics on my own. I was stuck in Bastok until about level 30 and I didn't think anyone else played this game because there were few to no players in Bastok at that time. My mind was blown when I made it to Jeuno. Where were you guys this whole time?! The game isn't dead despite what the haters say. Maybe not what it used to be but lots of people still play this game and it's probably the easiest it's ever been to be a brand new player.
    (0)

Character
    Saryx
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 11
    Hmm. Well I must say I do prefer a game I can just pretty much pick up and play and that I don't need to read wikis to know what to do all the time. And I also started to wonder if I seriusly want to pay to play mmo where I'll be mostly just soloing.
    (0)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarys View Post
    Hmm. Well I must say I do prefer a game I can just pretty much pick up and play and that I don't need to read wikis to know what to do all the time. And I also started to wonder if I seriusly want to pay to play mmo where I'll be mostly just soloing.
    Well everyone on here is hopelessly addicted or brand newish.

This game absolutely does not deserve its 12.95 monthly fee. If I were just starting out, I wouldn't stick around.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast