Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Well in plds case it has less to do with views and more to do with them just being somewhere between lackluster and outright fail... which I think was more the OPs point.

If they were potentially good but were more a matter of play style that would be a different story entirely. Like shield mastery... it's decent doesn't really help pld that much the way it is normally played but it's decent. Like there are ways to make that noticeably useful. While some like DE or shield bash will make no noticeable difference and some like reprisal can actually actively harm you while providing next to no benefit.

Hell as the only job that before this regularly single wielded 1hd weapons I still don't understand why pld doesn't get fencer stuff. I mean sure they aren't DDs and so it's not like it's going to their strengths but it could still be made way more useful than most of the unique stuff pld gets
    (0)
    Last edited by dasva; 02-10-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm not a PLD, so enlighten me- how does reprisal "harm" you? I used to see it used all the time. Has something changed?

Reprisal (according to wikis) increases your block rate and causes Spikes damage to be dealt when you block. I don't understand how this is harmful? Except if an enemy is absorbing light damage.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-10-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I'm not a PLD, so enlighten me- how does reprisal "harm" you? I used to see it used all the time. Has something changed?
    Nearly certain it's in regard to the gift dealing with Reprisal's damage potency potentially causing it to wear off faster, as I mentioned in my OP.

Even if it doesn't, it's still an awful lawlful gift.
    (0)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Reprisal (according to wikis) increases your block rate and causes Spikes damage to be dealt when you block. I don't understand how this is harmful? Except if an enemy is absorbing light damage.
    Reprisal has a very silly mechanic. It has a cumulative damage dealt cap for its spikes. If you exceed this cap your reprisal wears off early.

Which is a nice kick in the balls when you're tanking 20 mobs mobs and recast isn't up cause you Just bloody cast reprisal.

The issue isn't as bad as it used to be, since they changed the calculation that determines the cap. But I still don't care for any"Buffs" that make reprisal wear early. It's even worse for anyone using a Priwen. The shield sucks without reprisal, and already has a reprisal damage dealt enhancement. The thing just digs it's own grave.

So, that's why PLD wouldn't want Reprisal spikes damage buffs.
    (3)

Character
    Lanselot
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    You know what would help pld if resist gear actually was worth a shit. I have 80% resist charm from gear and traits with /run and im still getting charmed more if I use runes and pflug. Tanks shouldn't have to depend on geo to not get charmed it stupid. The whole game is designed around geo right now and it sucks.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Martel View Post
    Reprisal has a very silly mechanic. It has a cumulative damage dealt cap for its spikes. If you exceed this cap your reprisal wears off early.

Which is a nice kick in the balls when you're tanking 20 mobs mobs and recast isn't up cause you Just bloody cast reprisal.

The issue isn't as bad as it used to be, since they changed the calculation that determines the cap. But I still don't care for any"Buffs" that make reprisal wear early. It's even worse for anyone using a Priwen. The shield sucks without reprisal, and already has a reprisal damage dealt enhancement. The thing just digs it's own grave.

So, that's why PLD wouldn't want Reprisal spikes damage buffs.
    So what you mean to say is the JP category that modifies it is harmful, not the spell itself then?
    (1)

So what you mean to say is the JP category that modifies it is harmful, not the spell itself then?
    I covered this in my OP:

Reprisal Effect (1200 JP) - Increases damage of Reprisal Spikes by 20%. Not only is this lackluster. It might actually be bad for the job. Boss/boss content will resist the damage anyway. Reprisal has never ever been a meaningful contribution to damage. So while never being a benefit, in cases where you have enough stuff on you that the reflected damage surpasses reprisal's damage cap, it wears off. This may well cause it to wear off earlier. I am not certain. Effectively, all this means to PLDs is "Reprisal might not last as long". Anything high enough level to hit you has enough HP that the damage Reprisal reflects means nothing.
    (0)

Well yes, the entire thread is about job points.
    (1)

I take back the "no comment about Protect enhancement gift". 17 defense is a pretty miserable gift for that spot. Even if the source is merited and there's protect-enhancement gear involved, that's still pretty terrible.

Hate to be so negative.
    (0)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    I love PLD for what it is, but there's no flavor to a lot of the JP categories/gifts. They don't really address the strengths or weaknesses of the job, other than bland bonuses to defense (I love defense) and -damage from critical attacks.
    Agreed. I actually complained about this awhile ago myself.

The Paladin's job point options are lame. At least they added a buff to Enlight. Before that - Cover Duration (as unimpressive as that sounds) was probably our best thing.
    (1)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast