Character
    Ketaru
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Returning BST Questions

I've actually been back to the game since mid-November. It's been quite a ride catching up, but now that I've gotten RDM to a fairly comfortable place, I'm thinking it's time to start working on my BST now. The lucky thing is a lot of the gear overlaps, and I've started using RDM to get gear for my BST. I've got some questions about the job though:

- I hear Primal Rend has held up pretty well, but Cloudsplitter is apparently our best WS now. When I left, Cloudsplitter was something I only used ironically. Is it true they're quite good now? How have Ruinator and Rampage held up?

- So apparently, the benchmark of being a "good" damage dealer these days is to be capable of self-skillchaining (although, what that really means is "We would rather have 1 melee and lots of nukers, rather than 2 melee and only a few nukers). I've seen PLDs and BLUs do it, and actually I'm capable of doing it now on RDM. I hear we can skillchain with our pets now. Is this true? And what are some of the important skillchains to keep in mind?

- What are the important jug pets to have on hand? I noticed that people disproportionately use the chapulli, tiger, and lizard.

- How is BST in Apex parties? Are there better ways to get JP?

- Despair gear looks deceptively good to TP in. Any other gear I should keep in mind? For /NIN, should I be concerned that it has no DW bonus at all, compared to Taeon?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
    (0)
    Last edited by Ketaru; 01-19-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    "NeED★RdM? PLeaSe sENd★teLL!"

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Cloudsplitter was actually pretty good back in the day. Pretty sure it was better than primal stat wise but yeah they buffed it a bit and now it's easier to pump magic dmg so it's really good. The multihit axe moves didn't get much if sticking with physical you are better off doing something like mistral.

Yes you can. I'd check the bst primer on ffxiah for a full list.

Really depends on the content a lot of jugs are good for various things. Generally the tulfaire, tiger, raaz, chapuli and lizard get the most used from what I've seen.

Probably not too desired since apex is generally about quick sc and huge mb. Luckily bst can cleave escha zones easy.
    (2)

Character
    Lonnan
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    The only caveat I'd add is that, if you have full ready reduction (the Aby axe, the ASA pants, and 100 jp) you can crank out self skill chains just using your pet as quickly or quicker than a SCH depending on which pet you use. If you have the skill to make your own, the korrigan Mandy (can't remember his name off the top of my head) can self distortion using two 1 charge ready moves. Since distortion is the best skillchain for apex crawlers there is no reason you couldn't replace a SCH in an apex party. Obviously you will need the pet gear and acc to back that up, but do not be afraid to try. I've done apex with a bst providing the chains and the kills went very fast.
    (0)