Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Fiyaro
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

So I am confused about the future of ffxi

I thought it was originally stated that after April when console support drops that they were going to only give minor qol updates and bug fixes, then I come here and read that they will be introducing new storylines and battle content.

I played this game hard for many years and have been toggled between it and xiv since its launch and relaunch but that game is more boring now than it was in 1.20 and I would be more than willing to stick to xi if I knew everything I did wasn't all for naught.

So....what exactly is the future?
    (0)
    Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, you would cry your eyes out if you didn't.

No one knows. I expect it depends on subs. If people keep subbed they will keep it running. If subs fall off a cliff they will cut it. Honestly though, with how much they charge and how little it must cost to keep the servers on, I can see it going on for a long time yet.
    (4)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Obysuca
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I do find it kind of funny though, that XIV had the disaster of updates since their expansion (6 months with nothing because of a 2 week entire staff break. 6 months being a massive amount of time seeing as content in XIV dies off in under a month. Almost no content in 3.1. Exploration died off quick. Relic was a disaster), that about the same week their forums exploded in rage over the relic, the lack of content and lots of people unsubbing, SE decides to come back and say we're getting new content on XI lol
    (7)
    Last edited by Obysuca; 01-05-2016 at 05:13 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Michae View Post
    I thought it was originally stated that after April when console support drops that they were going to only give minor qol updates and bug fixes, then I come here and read that they will be introducing new storylines and battle content.
    The future is there are more content updates planned. They had initially announced exactly as you said, but they recently announced they have new plans for additional content with a restructured (and smaller) team.
    (0)

I played this game hard for many years and have been toggled between it and xiv since its launch and relaunch but that game is more boring now than it was in 1.20 and I would be more than willing to stick to xi if I knew everything I did wasn't all for naught.

Hate to say it but, XIV lost a lot of people throughout that past 8 months. I played it myself, but just like FFXII, I couldn't get into it. I gave it 3 months and still couldn't connect. Good news is this game is going to be here for a very long time with some new stuff coming in 2016. Looking forward to what's to come!
    (1)

Player

Updates will continue as they always have, just no more expansions will be made.

So it's going to be like pretty much every other mmo that exists. The idea that the game was ceasing updates seems to of been a marketing strategy used by producers of other online ff games lead to try and move players over.

The problem with XIV is that they seem to be wanting to save money now and milk it for all it's worth, the time when they were trying to compete with wow has passed because no matter how many updates they were putting out they simple were not adding more subscribers. So now they are moving away from lots of updates and going with lots of grind, that won't really work in this day and age with that kind of mmo but given the nature of the game.

Given it has a fairly loyal fanbase though they can make serious profits with a cash shop on a smaller userbase game like that.
    (0)
    Last edited by peculiar; 01-05-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Character
    Kagetachi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It's hard to project a future for this game atm. By getting rid of the primary things that have been holding it back, PS2 and XBOX, they can now focus on rebuilding a new client that uses the same data from the game, if they want. RoV let them finish and conclude the existing storyline for the game but it doesn't mean they can't continue to create new ones that are not dependent on that story. There are a great number of areas built into the game we haven't been to yet. eastern half of the near east. the rest of the far east. the frozen lands to the north. the rest of the lands to the west and everything to the south.
    (1)

Character
    Numquam
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    They had a post somewhere showing they might be exploring Tartarus and making the AF3 more Blingy. I really hope SE keeps FFXI going for at least 5 more years. Maybe its the new Everquest?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Numquam View Post
    They had a post somewhere showing they might be exploring Tartarus and making the AF3 more Blingy. I really hope SE keeps FFXI going for at least 5 more years. Maybe its the new Everquest?
    I think they are going to see how many stick around after the console drop before they make any real promises, they are not going to stop support any time soon though. The game still makes a lot of money given it's laughably low overheards.
    (0)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by peculiar View Post
    I think they are going to see how many stick around after the console drop before they make any real promises, they are not going to stop support any time soon though. The game still makes a lot of money given it's laughably low overheards.
    They have already said, many, many times, that they're doing exactly that: stopping support.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast