Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Julissa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 20
    I never got the need to do everything solo in mmos, if i wanted single player i'd go play a single player RPG like Skyrim or Dragon Age. The need for people to want to do everything solo is what screwed mmos for me, even when World of Warcraft came out and was criticized by the ffxi and EQ community as a whole for being able to solo everything, you still needed a player or 2 to make some of the quests easier and you had to communicate with others to find a group for dungeons. I still play ffxi occasionally mainly to finish the storys and it is still more group based than other mmos, but as a whole mmos are dead for me now.
    (8)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The whole doing things solo vs doing things with people really depends.

I'd rather win solo than fail with tards. Even though trusts are terribad, some actual players are worse, so there's that.
    (0)

Character
    Fiyaro
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I was going to do a server jump. But do you loose gil when you do?

I don't remember if they introduced that into xi like they did xiv. I thought at one time they mentioned they were going to
    (0)
    Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, you would cry your eyes out if you didn't.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Michae View Post
    I was going to do a server jump. But do you loose gil when you do?

I don't remember if they introduced that into xi like they did xiv. I thought at one time they mentioned they were going to
    You dont lose any gil

Only be careful to not leave stuff at any mailbox slot or in the AH, you might lose em when you transfer.
    (1)

Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Apie View Post
    I will personally never understand this desperate need people have to play with others. Just because it's a MMO doesn't mean we should have to focus on others to get anywhere. That's old school MMOs and there's a reason MMO's aren't like that anymore, it was a bad system and now it's better. I (like many others) only play this game cause it's a FF game, if I want to be super social, I'll log into facebook. lol We have a couple of people like that in the LS I'm in. We constantly have to tell those people that they content they want others to help with can be done easily solo with trusts. And then they start with that whole "years ago we would have these large groups, blah blah blah." It's call progression, the game no longer requires you to bother others to get things done. I do 99.999999% of everything I do on FFXI is solo and that is 1,000 times better than it was years ago when you would need to bother a TON of people to do the smallest thing. I (and most others that I've talked to) are much happier now with the game letting us do what we want, when we want. I could never even pretend to want to switch servers yet people switch just to join LSs (which can easily end and now you are in a different server in the same situation you were in the previous server.)

My advice to you, see the game as it is and enjoy. If you ever pine for the old days, go into those ffxi private servers that are stuck in the past and you can be reminded of how horrible this game actually was years ago and then you can appreciate the real FFXI.

That's not a completely accurate statement. FFXI encounters are still designed with party play in mind. After all, why bother logging into a world with other players? This is why SE has stated many times that they don't want to adjust strenght or accuracy or anything like that with Trusts because they don't want Trusts to take over players in endgame situations.
    (1)

I will personally never understand this desperate need people have to play with others. Just because it's a MMO doesn't mean we should have to focus on others to get anywhere. That's old school MMOs
    No - That's the actual MMO, not just "old school." Those who were truly only into MMOs in recent years (you seem to fall into this category) or those who grew up with MMOs and have less and less time to play are the ones who feel you should be able to play an MMO purely solo if you want to. The "solo design" is why MMOs have been crap the past 5+ years because even when you want to play with people..you can't, because the game doesn't let you (ala FFXIV design) or you're more rewarded playing with people no on your own server (thus no server community forms and you're far likely to get "toxic" people, which is the advent of the "Raid finder" brought when it doesn't also have an in-community option.)

There's plenty of single player RPGs out there, you may like the Witcher series.
    (5)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Lanselot
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    So just my personal experience talking here, but I just recently came back to the game (about a month or two ago) from a 14. I moved to asura and found some ppl from my old server and am enjoying the atmosphere. The game is much more solo friendly now, but its fun to have an event ls that does things. I haven't encountered too many toxic players and the ones I have I just don't talk to or avoid. Asura has a healthy enough player base that you can find friendly helpful ppl to party with. I will say that you kind of have to have your expectations in check, meaning if you want to do endgame there are certain requirements that other ppl expect of you. I haven't seen too many unreasonable expectations though as far as shouts asking for specific requirements.
    (1)

Yep -

For example, you can't complain if someone wants, say a Dancer with capped Job Gifts instead of your recently returned ilvl117 DNC with no Job Gifts/Points. It's just the current standard for the game just like back when I actively played having capped merits and at minimum a second stage (WS unlocked) Empyrean, or a relic or a mythic was the standard. Current ilvl endgame is tough to get into if you just join or returning and playing catch up, but that's why trusts exists to get you started on the catch-up more than anything.

Otherwise the game has far less "toxic" (I hate this word) players than XIV does because for the most part, a lot of people still playing played at least a little when XI was still in its prime and thus the "toxic" people were sorted out very quickly. You had your jerks, sure, but it's nothing like you'd find in a typical FFXIV Duty Finder experience.
    (2)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I (like many others) only play this game cause it's a FF game, if I want to be super social, I'll log into facebook.
    Well... TODAY social works better in FFXIV than FFXI. Sure, I log into facebook just to see my friends and family but we all don't play the same game just a bunch of pictures of babies being born. If I only solo MMOs, mind you, it can lead me to quit... It can and will happen unless someone hijacks me into another linkshell to keep me enjoying MMOs. The problem about FFXI is I have a lot of stuff to catch up and my friends often ask me if anything what I don't know about the new content. We, friends, hardly play together because we all are at different places and it's not how any MMO should be.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2