Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quality of life suggestion^^ Experience toggle!

Honestly, these exp campaigns, it just kind of wrecks low level leveling. It's great for 80+ or merit farming to cap stats, but for anything below 60 it kind of stinks.

I know a lot of people just want to hit 99 as fast as possible, but haven't most people already done that? This isn't like job point or merit farming.

It takes longer to get your skills up or gimps you when fighting the higher mobs as you watch a slideshow of "level up" displays, or you have to use sparks and spam a book for 20 minutes and consume what could be spent on extra pages or other items, which is completely inefficient.

I'm sure someone will say it's a stupid idea, but honestly, to some of us old time veteran (perhaps even new players, since it doesn't give you time to learn anything about your job really), it's a lot nicer then hearing the level jingle every other kill yet your skills are still lv 30 out of 50, 53, 56, 59, 62 etc.. every jingle.

Can we please get some sort of toggle / command to disable all experience bonuses from campaigns and rings? Or better yet, disable experience gain all together (I think Everquest 2 allows that), settable in the field like the merit toggle.

I honestly try to avoid any real leveling jobs below 70 when these campaigns are on. It's just.... waaaaaay too much.
    (2)

But they have boosted skillup gain by a comparable amount with Rhapsodies items and the skillup armor. With Trusts you don't need your skills to be very high anyway, and skilling up at 99 is bosted by skill levels added from equipment, skill gain boost attributes from Rhapsodies and armor, and the matter that when you are far from cap, you get a lot of .5s instead of .1s.

Those skillup items are also more effective when you are far from cap then close to it, as they get the same frequency of boost as normal skillup procs.

Have you tried using Call For Help to turn off EXP?
    (0)
    Last edited by bungiefanNA; 12-15-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

The skillup rates don't scale with the experience gains though.
    You can EASILY outpace your skill levels with these campaigns up. And my whole point is being able to play without dinging every other mob, and having to go back and do all that skilling up by sitting in town burning sparks, and definitely long before you hit 99. Why would you want to hit 99 so fast that you're still using hotshot on rumble crawlers? (and missing).

The point is to be able to control your experience gains at your rate not going 0-60 in an hour. Least for those who don't want to.
    And get your skills up with your leveling, without burning books nilly willy.

I want to enjoy my leveling, not act like i'm some human version of a ferrari.
    (0)

Character
    Gakaijin
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Why not continue killing the same level mobs until the skill is capped for that range? That is what I had done on a job or two - I would cap for that level then move onto a new level range.
    (2)

Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
    Why not continue killing the same level mobs until the skill is capped for that range? That is what I had done on a job or two - I would cap for that level then move onto a new level range.
    This. I've stuck around camps for quite some time after the xp became abysmal just because I was working on skilling up.
    (2)
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
    I've done that often before just in general, I often do the leeches camp in korroloka tunnel up to 40 for little reason other then the page build up. But with this kind of experience buff up, your still going to rapidly outpace the leveling grounds, by like, a lot. Plus you have to remember, the stronger you get over the target, the faster it dies, giving less skill ups vs the exp gained.

The point isn't to keep finding ways around, there's tons of ways around, the point is to make a way through to the goal, not take a ton of forks to reach the same objective. I've already said some of the alternatives like books and doing it at 99, but... I guess the point I'm trying to make is....

Well, instead of saying this can be done instead, is there a real argument against an experience toggle command? (either for the double/triple campaign, or all experience gains.)
    All the other ways aside, is there a real argument to be made against this?
    (0)

Character
    Alzula
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    While i am not against them adding the option for people who want it....but you dont have to get RoV key items if you dont want to. Also why do you need a toggle to disable the bonus from exp rings...just dont use them!

Even before the exp campaigns, you would out level skills, stuff like enhancing took days to cap at 75 cap when you first hit it. Then came abyssea where it was even more pronounced and people lost their minds. Honestly once you hit 99, it takes an hour to skill up most skills now a days. Go do a lair/colonization reive and bam capped combat skills thanks to 0 evasion level 99 mobs.

300% inc skill gain rate via RoV (only 180% inc exp) so yes they did increase the skill gain rate proportionally to exp rate.
    The temachtiani set
    Skill up rings/earings from gov
    SKill up bonus from GoV
    Food from the curio moogle
    RoE skill up pages (by the time you hit 99 the first time you should have had enough to keep all skills close to max while leveling)
    You dont have to do limit breaks, you can sit at 50 till skills are capped if you want, same for 55/60/etc

Again though i wouldnt be adding it as an option if people wanted it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pups323; 12-11-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I think this is unnecessary. Any new or new-to-current-meta player isn't going to have the KIs yet and will get more normal experience. Almost anyone that's already spent countless hours leveling in the earlier years of the game though, probably doesn't want to deliberately level up slow. Skill ups aren't much of a reason for this because the rate of those was increased as well.

The way the EXP is right now feels like leveling up in a single player RPG, which is kind of appropriate since it's exceedingly difficult to form a party with so many people having everything they want leveled already (this was the case even before RoV and much of SoA)
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Pups323 View Post
    While i am not against them adding the option for people who want it....but you dont have to get RoV key items if you dont want to. Also why do you need a toggle to disable the bonus from exp rings...just dont use them!

Even before the exp campaigns, you would out level skills, stuff like enhancing took days to cap at 75 cap when you first hit it. Then came abyssea where it was even more pronounced and people lost their minds. Honestly once you hit 99, it takes an hour to skill up most skills now a days. Go do a lair/colonization reive and bam capped combat skills thanks to 0 evasion level 99 mobs.

300% inc skill gain rate via RoV (only 180% inc exp) so yes they did increase the skill gain rate proportionally to exp rate.
    The temachtiani set
    Skill up rings/earings from gov
    SKill up bonus from GoV
    Food from the curio moogle
    RoE skill up pages (by the time you hit 99 the first time you should have had enough to keep all skills close to max while leveling)
    You dont have to do limit breaks, you can sit at 50 till skills are capped if you want, same for 55/60/etc

Again though i wouldnt be adding it as an option if people wanted it.

I hadn't considered RoV's exp boosts... ... And after writing all of this, i forgotten about RoE experience gains too. ><
    But I've only done the first chapter so far, my partner and I are still working on the mission lines for chapter 2. We just finished ToAu, Wings is next. So we haven't even gotten far enough to deal with how crazy RoV KI's get :/ As for experience rings, I know, I don't^^ Well, definitely not in this kind campaign anyway, I use emporer otherwise (generally not until 30+), and Trizek for 80+ if I get annoyed by the speed vs. kill rate, esp as pld, not known for super DPS heh.

Oh yes, I remember the old days.
    Summoning magic for example was utterly evil before they added skill gains by bloodpact, I don't think any summoner had capped magic skills at 75 for a long time until that point, tho I don't remember how the skill affected avatars at that time. Magic skills were always evil in general, tho I think summoning was the worst, some rdms might argue enhancing was tho hehe^^

I know it doesn't take long generally to skill up, esp with all of that, tho i've no idea what the temachtiani set is, could check that on wikia, and some of that won't work at low lvl, except destrier beret. But again, I know there's tons of ways, I could even just not experience at all and just shoot/kill too weak mobs until I cap on them and move up, but I want to enjoy myself as I go, esp since i often level with my partner on low level jobs, rather then hit level cap and have to go back and do it all again anyway to cap skills.

I'm not saying there isn't ways, and obviously some I didn't know of, or consider in my original post, though that sitting at limit breaks only works if you're a brand new character, which won't have the benefit of 80% of that anyway, but of adding a way to not have to do all that if you didn't want to.

I also know a lot of veterans wish we could have old time like experience parties or that experience gains could be controlled somehow, which can't really be done except by an option like this. Which gives it a second benefit even over what I'm seeking. (A few brought it up last night hehe^^)

But in my opinion. The problem isn't the options available to get around it, it's that you can "technically" out level a camp before you even finish the daily RoE's during these campaigns. Not exactly a great way to play imo. 2 mobs is all it takes at lv 20. I killed 2 mobs last night, and hit 21, thats not even with an exp ring or chain up.

Let's say you started at lv 1 today, you would be lv 10 in 3 minutes, and would still have a skill level of 2. You'd be to lv 20 in about 7 minutes, and maybe hit skill lv 5. This is a bit absurd. Tho if you wanted to not get an exp chain you'd have to wait 3-4 minutes every kill.

Thats why I want to be able to toggle experience campaigns and boosters to off, except the base line experience calculations.
    Though turning off experience altogether would be a second best option.
    (0)

Temachtani set is armor from RoE vendors that is level 115, and has a skillup boost to magic or combat skills on each piece.

The argument against the feature is that development time and staff are very limited, and a feature like this goes against the point of them removing leveling as a grind in the first place by making so many EXP boosts. Most of the player base is at level 99, so group contant occurs at level 99, and taking so long to reach that level while playing solo is undesirable. Such a feature would also only affect you for a short time, and only a few players would even want it. The budget is better spent working on features that a lot of the player base wants. It's like a state government budget, except time is the more limiting factor.

You forget that as you outlevel your skill levels, the rate at which you skillup increases, as you proc more skillup events and they are higher increments when you are far from your current cap. If you are level 20 with a combat skill at level 2, you will get a ton of .3, .4, and .5 events until you are within a couple of skill levels of cap. This makes it very easy to catch up.

You level so fast now because of bonus EXP from RoE and such. You can opt out of most of the gains. Without any boosts, you get 200 EXP per even match mob (less if in a party with real people), and 400 during a double EXP campaign. Rhapsodies KIs will nearly triple that if you have them all, and nearly double it if at the completion you stated. 200-400 EXP per enemy is pretty slow, and do it with fewer Trusts and you have long battles to skillup. Yes, you can break 2k EXP per mob if you use all the boosts, plus bonus EXP every few mobs from RoE, but those are optional.

Outleveling things is the norm nowadays for doing old content. That's what they intended with the adjustments the past 2 years. Leveling hasn't been intended to be tedious since Abyssea released.

The old EXP party culture still exists, it's just for farming Capacity Points. There are plenty of camps for which to do that now as well.
    (1)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast