Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Please add colour-selection menu to JobMaster stars.

Since it is possible to make a new LS and choose the colour and shade of the bubble displayed next to your name, would it please be possible to add an identical colour-menu option to the JobMaster! stars.

Since both LS bubble and the stars are displayed with your name, I don't see why this would be a problem.

I really love the stars, but I find the primary yellow colour a bit upsetting. If I were given a colour-menu option, I would choose a "burnished copper" or a "light rust" colour. I also think the stars would look beautiful in a "faded sky-blue" colour.

This would mean I didn't have to disable the stars to escape the primary yellowness. On a larger scale, it would mean that all JobMasters are unique, their stars reflect their own personal colour/tone preference. It could be the final augment, the final character customisation.

As I have said many times, I simply adore the Jobpoints/Gifts system, and I congratulate the FFXI Team for this outstanding achievement. And I do love "seeing stars" too!

More generally, I submit another mega big thankyou to the FFXI Team, for all their hard work on RoV and the wonderful tweaks and new features they have added in recent years. Thankyou so very much for everything you've done to keep Vana'diel as the most magical and joyful place in the known universe.

(Me wearing sunglasses to escape the primary yellowness!)
    (11)
    Last edited by Stompa; 12-04-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well arent we getting really nitpicky now... The color of the stars is upsetting?

Honestly, it's closer to a gold color than straight up yellow already.

I don't see why this would be a problem.
    They could be funcitonally implemented in totally different ways. The stars probably don't have a color mask either, so it would be more than simply putting a color slider somewhere. Without working for SE, we have no way to know what's easy and what's hard and what's in between, other than what the community reps can tell us.

Beyond that, I think a lot of other things in the game would benefit far more from a recolor option before this. The UI window backgrounds, the colors for the 3D names (e.g. PCs, NPCs, unclaimed,claimed , claimed by another alliance party, and claimed by someone else colors)

The stars are awesome, they don't need to mess with them, you can always turn them off if you think they're ugly. You still have the special title to show for your accomplishment if you do. A lot of people are more upset by the lack of functional effects of the gift, which is understandable, because it is a LOT of grinding to get there. So if they want to do something to the master gift, I'd start with that issue, if I were them.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but rather that there are a lot of other things that should probably be higher priority.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-03-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Well arent we getting really nitpicky now... The color of the stars is upsetting?

Honestly, it's closer to a gold color than straight up yellow already.

They could be funcitonally implemented in totally different ways. The stars probably don't have a color mask either, so it would be more than simply putting a color slider somewhere. Without working for SE, we have no way to know what's easy and what's hard and what's in between, other than what the community reps can tell us.

Beyond that, I think a lot of other things in the game would benefit far more from a recolor option before this. The UI window backgrounds, the colors for the 3D names (e.g. PCs, NPCs, unclaimed,claimed , claimed by another alliance party, and claimed by someone else colors)

The stars are awesome, they don't need to mess with them, you can always turn them off if you think they're ugly. You still have the special title to show for your accomplishment if you do. A lot of people are more upset by the lack of functional effects of the gift, which is understandable, because it is a LOT of grinding to get there. So if they want to do something to the master gift, I'd start with that issue, if I were them.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but rather that there are a lot of other things that should probably be higher priority.
    If the stars were pale blue (same colour as my LS pearl) or a stylish rust colour (my favourite colour) then I would feel much happier with them being over my head all the time. I just don't like primary yellow. I do love chocobos, but not because they're yellow, I love them because they're chocobos. And if I had bright yellow chocobos above my head it would soon give me a headache.

Its about realism too, if you are in an atmospheric area, say woodland, with autumnal colours in the trees, and the sunset etc. and your character has some nice armor coloured in natural earthy tones (cloth, hide and metal), this looks atmospheric and realistic. In such a setting, bright yellow stars over the head would leap out of the image, whereas subdued-coloured stars in pale grey or faded blue-green, would blend in better.

I do agree with you that there may be technical reasons to not do this Jobmaster! stars colour-option.
    (4)
    Last edited by Stompa; 12-24-2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Brevity.

Player
    I like the reference to FFV where if you mastered a job you had these three yellow stars on top of your sprite in the menu but an option to change the colour would indeed be nice.
    But I end up turning off the stars most of the time because I don't really like the yellow either.

I don't think Stompa was trying to brag about anything, it was just a simple and nice suggestion. We are getting Unity shirts that, I think, no one asked for, so Stompa's suggestion doesn't hurt in any way. The more choices we have the merrier.
    (3)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanfrano View Post
    I like the reference to FFV where if you mastered a job you had these three yellow stars on top of your sprite in the menu but an option to change the colour would indeed be nice.
    But I end up turning off the stars most of the time because I don't really like the yellow either.

I don't think Stompa was trying to brag about anything, it was just a simple and nice suggestion. We are getting Unity shirts that, I think, no one asked for, so Stompa's suggestion doesn't hurt in any way. The more choices we have the merrier.
    I don't disagree with choice, however, we know that we are going to get a limited amount of things out of the dev's time in the future, so my preference would be that they prioritize things that impact gameplay over things that don't (This also extends to the "unity shirts" that, as you said, nobody asked for, unless they are functional gears). You could say I'm rather suprised someone actually complained about this- IMO the stars look fine and don't need to be changed in any way (But, they thankfully included an option to turn one's own off).

I don't think Stompa was trying to brag about anything,
    I don't think I implied anywhere that anyone was bragging about anything. I consider the 2100 JP a huge achievement that takes a long time, so in fact, if you want to brag, by all means.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-04-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    A lot of people are more upset by the lack of functional effects of the gift, which is understandable, because it is a LOT of grinding to get there. So if they want to do something to the master gift, I'd start with that issue, if I were them.
    On this specifically, we got the SE answer already. The reason given is that the final gifts are not supposed to be essential and all-powerful, because this would make players with limited game-time feel that they need 2100 points just to be useful and accepted in Events.

The fact that most of the really good gifts and essential priority jobpoints can be attained before the 1200-mark, means that people who are not spamming high-tier alliance content can still solo the most useful jobpoints and gifts. This is why the final gift was cosmetic.

They made the last gift cosmetic, because then it doesn't completely punish casual players with tiny empty LS's and busy real-lives. This makes sense, and I totally accepted the reasons SE gave for this.
    (2)
    Last edited by Stompa; 12-24-2015 at 06:20 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Thankyou for your supportive post.

I must say that 2100 Jobpoints is an achievement which people should feel proud of, but it is not something that distinguishes Great Players from other players.

My friend is a life-long RDM, but she has a super-busy hectic real life, and so she has got around 400 Jobpoints on RDM. But, she is the best RDM in the world, lol. I would pick her as my RDM, instead of picking people with Jobmaster! stars. Because she has these amazing reflexes and is able to find lateral solutions really quickly. She has been a real RDM Jobmaster! since 2005 lol, and all the glowy stars in the world could never change that fact.
    (4)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    Thankyou for your supportive post.

I must say that 2100 Jobpoints is an achievement which people should feel proud of, but it is not something that distinguishes Great Players from other players.

My friend is a life-long RDM, but she has a super-busy hectic real life, and so she has got around 400 Jobpoints on RDM. But, she is the best RDM in the world, lol. I would pick her as my RDM, instead of picking people with Jobmaster! stars. Because she has these amazing reflexes and is able to find lateral solutions really quickly. She has been a real RDM Jobmaster! since 2005 lol, and all the glowy stars in the world could never change that fact.
    What you said made me smile and I could not help but think about some friends I used to play with and who were, for me, each with their very particular job, Job Masters. This is a really nice mark of respect and appreciation for your friend.
    I think this is another thing that makes FFXI special, we probably all have at least a player, not necessarily a friend, who is/was for us a Job Master, no matter the equipment and more recently the job points, there was that unique player whose skills could reach the stars
    (2)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    What you said made me smile and I could not help but think about some friends I used to play with and who were, for me, each with their very particular job, Job Masters. This is a really nice mark of respect and appreciation for your friend.
    I think this is another thing that makes FFXI special, we probably all have at least a player, not necessarily a friend, who is/was for us a Job Master, no matter the equipment and more recently the job points, there was that unique player whose skills could reach the stars

You are so right, and the gear example is an excellent comparison.

Because in the old game, gaming-skills were always more useful than gear, just as gaming-skills are more useful than jobpoints.

And the comparison goes very deep. If you had really uber gear in the old game, the chances were that you had a good linkshell and they let you cast lots. In the new game, if you have 2100 jobpoints, it may well be that you have a busy endgame LS and they let you play your favourite job in most of the big CAP-heavy events.
    (2)
    Last edited by Stompa; 12-24-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Character
    Risotto
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Stompa, you're a little ray of sunshine.
    (4)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast