Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Player Creelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    265
    Character
    Creelo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

    [dev1299] So how do Aeonic Weapons/Ultimate Skillchains Work?

    I'm just really curious as to how exactly Aeonic Weapons work. It's all still very vague, even after the last official post about it. It'd be nice to really know how exactly these weapons work to help players make the right choice as to what weapon they might want to work on.

    Main questions: Can ultimate skillchains only be created with the Merit weapon skills associated with the Aeonic Weapon? After unlocking the Aeonic aftermath, would it be possible to create an ultimate skillchain with Rudra's Storm or Leaden Salute, etc?

    Could we get a possible example of how this all going to work? Like an example of how the skillchain properties are going to interact to create these ultimate skillchains?

    I'm just concerned that if we can only close ultimate skillchains with merit weaponskills then some weapons like the sword and dagger for example will turn out to be garbage because Requiescat/Exenterator are generally very bad Weapon skills compared to their alternatives.


    Edit: Also what potency will the merit weapon skill have on the Aeonic Weapon? I am going to guess that the weapon will grant the the weapon skill like REMs do regularly, but how potent will it be? 1/5 or 5/5 potency?
    (1)
    Last edited by Creelo; 12-03-2015 at 02:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Community Rep Grekumah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    349
    Greetings,

    While I can't answer all of your questions at the moment, I can speak to one in particular:

    Quote Originally Posted by Creelo View Post
    Also what potency will the merit weapon skill have on the Aeonic Weapon? I am going to guess that the weapon will grant the the weapon skill like REMs do regularly, but how potent will it be? 1/5 or 5/5 potency?
    When equipping an Aeonic weapon you will be able to use the weaponskills learned through merit points--meaning you don't need to put merit points into those weaponskills to use them. The strength of these weaponskills will be equivalent to the power when reaching the fifth tier with merit points.
    (7)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

  3. #3
    Player Rubeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok - Fairy/Sylph/Bismarck
    Posts
    146
    Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    @Grekumah: Are there any benefits to having put merit points into those weaponskills in addition to having the weapon? For example, if I had Requiescat 5/5 and then acquired the Aeonic sword, would I see an increase in potency beyond the traditional 5/5?
    (4)

  4. #4
    Player BurnNotice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    239
    Character
    Teumessianfox
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
    @Grekumah: Are there any benefits to having put merit points into those weaponskills in addition to having the weapon? For example, if I had Requiescat 5/5 and then acquired the Aeonic sword, would I see an increase in potency beyond the traditional 5/5?
    Very good question!
    (0)

  5. #5
    Player Rosalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    297
    Character
    Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
    @Grekumah: Are there any benefits to having put merit points into those weaponskills in addition to having the weapon? For example, if I had Requiescat 5/5 and then acquired the Aeonic sword, would I see an increase in potency beyond the traditional 5/5?
    I'm not Grekumah, but you may notice on some weaponskills like Exenterator and Requiescat that the weapon skill is also available on jobs that can't equip its corresponding Aeonic weapon.
    (0)
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

  6. #6
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    6,911
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
    @Grekumah: Are there any benefits to having put merit points into those weaponskills in addition to having the weapon? For example, if I had Requiescat 5/5 and then acquired the Aeonic sword, would I see an increase in potency beyond the traditional 5/5?
    Personally, I'm going to throw a guess out there and say you get the weaponskill at 5/5 and the merits dont stack, thus allowing you to effectively unlock more weaponskills at full strength, and this was their solution in lieu of actually modifying the merit category.
    (0)

  7. #7
    Player dasva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,542
    Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I'm still wondering on the how it will work part... cause so far iirc they've only showed the merit ws closing the skillchain which could lead one to believe they are needed to close. But they've been very careful to say merit ws are for the aftermath and "appropriate" ws are for the skillchain which suggest others can as well
    (0)

  8. #8
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    6,911
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I'm still wondering on the how it will work part... cause so far iirc they've only showed the merit ws closing the skillchain which could lead one to believe they are needed to close. But they've been very careful to say merit ws are for the aftermath and "appropriate" ws are for the skillchain which suggest others can as well
    of course they're needed to close, because you can only do them with the weapons and they trigger the skillchain. double light/dark are a special property of the R/M/Es. A skillchain is calculated when a WS which will trigger one is used. So it would be "if this weapon is being used, use these skillchain properties instead of the usual ones" which is how the RMEs work.
    (0)

  9. #9
    Player dasva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,542
    Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    of course they're needed to close, because you can only do them with the weapons and they trigger the skillchain. double light/dark are a special property of the R/M/Es. A skillchain is calculated when a WS which will trigger one is used. So it would be "if this weapon is being used, use these skillchain properties instead of the usual ones" which is how the RMEs work.
    I'm a bit confused at what you are trying to say. Relic and empyrean (not mythic) weaponskills merely have a lvl 3 skillchain property. It's no different than some having lvl 2s vs lvl 1 (and in fact iirc all relic/empyrean ws with properties have a lvl 2 one as well). And it's completely independent of the weapons. You can trigger double light/dark with any weapon as long as you use those weaponskills. So I'm really confused where you are getting this comparison/info.

    Meanwhile so far these Aeonics they've said that when under the aftermath which is activated by merit ws that using "appropriate" ws will trigger ultimate skillchains. It's a huge difference and a very notable change in wording
    (1)
    Last edited by dasva; 12-08-2015 at 05:23 AM.

  10. #10
    Player Ryujess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Character
    Jessicaaa
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Ultimate Skillchain
    My big Question is why R/M/Es don’t at least have access to “Ultimate Skillchain Access at IL 119 III”, to me they have turned months of hard work and Gil into a joke. We spend time making R/M/Es Weapons putting the Afterglow on them, and no even if they are IL119 III. They are never going to get the Higher Ter4 Skillchain.

    Even if we never got the “Aftermath: Increases skillchain potency and Increases magic burst potency”. We should still have access to LV4 light and Dark at Afterglow level.

    At this point I will need to make a Aeonic and put my R/M/Es in the mog house to collect dust.

    Or am I wrong in the fact they do have access to lv4 light and dark?
    (0)