Agressivly defensive

I think an interesting possible fix to paladin is to take there defensive measures to a more aggressive state.

I mean here are the points for why its dead that ive seen.

#1 It doesnt do great damage

#2 whereas it survives very well as a tank its increasingly difficult to maintain hate

Compared to another DD

#1 does great damage

#2 Due to increased HP maximums it now tanks good enuf and has 0 hate problems.

So i think the solution to making this class useful again is by giving them skills that creatively debuff and add layers of aggressive defense and at the same time allowing them to ignore some things normal DD tanks cant.

Possible ideas.

Job Trait: Sanctuary
    Aggressive enemies are subject to a plague aura when standing beside the paladin.

The plague could be as little as 5 and as much as 10 depending on how frisky u wanted to be with it. But it needs to be constant and reliable. (does not stack with itself)

Job Trait: Persistence
    Hate decay and hate resets are 50% less effective vs pld.

Job ability: Cover II
    as cover except:
    automatically cover an ally being attacked regardless of battle positioning.

Job Ability: Forbiddance
    5 min recast
    4 yalm range

Deny target access to Weapon Skills for 30 seconds.

Job Ability: Retributive Strike
    recast 1 minute

Deliver a powerful Sword strike when this skill is used. This skill can only be used when a monster switches targets from the paladin to an ally and then damages said ally. 1 second window from the damage done to ally. (similar in damage to sneak attack. Str and Vit modded Crit hit)

Job Trait: Auto-Recovery

A 10% chance every 3 seconds to remove 1 negative status.
    (6)
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 04-09-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Good ideas.
    (0)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    A note on "tanking" in abyssea, you don't tank defensibly. Any job can tank, all it requires is that you be capable of generating capped enmity quickly and maintaining that capped enmity through out the fight. Here is a pro tip, just about any melee job with DD gear and atmas can generate capped enmity in under a minute, two at most. As a "tank" you need to be doing the exact same thing, gearing for DD not defense, eating DD food, using DD atmas. Engage the monster and beat it senseless while unleashing vorpal blades (or CDC) as often as possible. Do not worry about damage input, your whm's will be spamming Cure V / VI with a near infinite MP supply. Heck on smaller NM's (sobek and below) you don't even need a shield, just go DW nuts on the mob.
    (1)

U missed the point.

Pld keeps getting defensive updates. Thats what SE gives them. I was pointing out that the next time they buff pld, they can give them aggressive abilities and still maintain the feel of pld. Abilities designed to bring util and aggressivly help control the situation and abilities that help deal damage like "Retributive Strike".

Theres plenty of other threads where u can state the obvious about pld's current state or advocate mindless play justified by infinite mp and cure 5/6.

This threads more about moving away from completely defensive traits and abilities and instead towards offensive and utilitarian traits and abilities that still maintain a pld feel.
    (0)

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    U missed the point.

Pld keeps getting defensive updates. Thats what SE gives them. I was pointing out that the next time they buff pld, they can give them aggressive abilities and still maintain the feel of pld. Abilities designed to bring util and aggressivly help control the situation and abilities that help deal damage like "Retributive Strike".

Theres plenty of other threads where u can state the obvious about pld's current state or advocate mindless play justified by infinite mp and cure 5/6.

This threads more about moving away from completely defensive traits and abilities and instead towards offensive and utilitarian traits and abilities that still maintain a pld feel.
    THANK YOU! pld is a TANK thats what SE made it for, TO TAKE DMG. if you want to tank with something else go do it. PLD is a protector job not a dmg job. All we ask is that SE let pld's do what they were meant to do, whether ppl want to USE it or not for its intended purpose.
    (1)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

Character
    Ordoric
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    fell cleave fell cleave fell cleave whats tanking / hate controle
    (0)
    I think players are broken
    90 whm 90 blm 87 sch 79 drk 75 pld 75 smn 68 sam.

Retributive strike should probably have a bit bigger window than 1 second, considering some areas in the world easily have 250 ms lag to the servers, leading to a half a second before something happens on the server until the server receives the command from the client. Assuming 0 ms reaction time for the player, which also is impossible.

Maybe this should be a passive ability? Each time a pld loses hate, there's a 50% chance the next attack performed on the mob will deal more damage, as well as increased enmity from that attack (both VE and CE).

Of course, increased enmity from such an attack is not too useful as long as we're hitting the enmity cap, so we still need that thing to be fixed. Increasing maximum enmity by an order of magnitude would probably do it.
    (1)

i think the biggest problem with pld is the minikin monstrosity atma.. when most mages ride near infinite mp you just don't need a job dedicated to tanking. if you can get by with a WAR, why would you use a pld? sure the whm might have to cure more, but so long as that cure is there, it doesn't matter.

it's the spampage mentality... sorta why rdms "replaced" whms for so long. if you could get by with just 1 rdm, 3DD's, and 2 brds (wich pull and add dmg) why would you sacrifice even one point of dmg, to add a whm or a pld?

i'm not saying it's right i'm just saying it is how it is. you only need as much defense (healing, debuffing, tanking) as you NEED.. but you "need" as much offense as you can get. hopefully once abyssea passes this will be sorted.
    (0)

Character
    Juilan
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I know on warrior i don't like tanking, although I find myself doing it more and more for some reason, even versus kanngi ninjas. i would love for a job to have an iron fist on hate for the simple reason that my swings should cause me to tank, abyssea and these atma type concepts really messed up the game. just because i hit the thing doesn't mean i should be tanking it, although i had that issue before abyssea without the use of weapon skills. i see no reason to spam seigan or utsemi in abyssea at the same time for the simple reason that my job is to get tp and make something happen... if a job could hold hate and take less damage most of the people i know would be happy, but i can see you dd like getting your ass beat
    (0)
    I have the final form of Aegis, it has 40 Def Augments Shield bash V and Magic Damage Taken -45%... The ultimate form!

Character
    Jamesruglia
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    the solution to making this class useful again is by giving them skills that creatively debuff and add layers of aggressive defense

Life is short, bury! Stasis Sword!

Yes! Excellent idea! Aggressively defensive, debuff!
    (1)
    Sylph/Melmond