Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I really hope now that ps2 support is being dropped that they'll look into supporting X-input, the Xbox 360 version supported it so hopefully they can update the PC client to support it. I used to play on Xbox 360 until one besieged freeze that wiped 2 hour worth of macros out pushed me over the edge and I switched to PC.

Unfortunately no trigger support so I had to download a 3rd party driver, which is no longer supported on Windows 8 and above ;_; I miss being able to use my triggers without using X-padder...

I'm half tempted to upgrade to an Xbox one controller as I've heard it supports triggers in FFXI. But until my current 360 controller breaks or whatever I don't really wanna do that and would be nice if it could work with FFXI instead.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 11-08-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    You will never go wrong if you pick up an adapter and official gamepad to play FFXI on. There's alot of Sony PS2 pads out there in the world, but they are thinning out. If you can't find them locally(A walmart or something is always a good choice to hunt as they just throw product around at the bottom of their shelves and the stuff can be years old. You never know what you'll find....)then eBay it is, but you must be mindful not to buy fakes. Expect to pay 20-40 dollars for the real deal, and it will last you years without question.

Can't say about Xbox controllers, but I would suggest learning how to cope with a PS2 pad because it certainly has an edge as far as FFXI goes, but it's less important than it used to be. It's just better when competition is involved but that's becoming less of a thing as the years go by.

As nice as it would be to be able to use wireless PS3 controllers reliably, it's just too much hassle. It's hit or miss depending on your system. I once got Motionjoy to work at about 75% with a DS3 pad once, but it was more problem than it was worth and I reverted back the changes and called it a day on the DS3>PC dream. I never did get it to go bluetooth and that was after buying the suggested dongle. Correction:I did get it to bluetooth mode briefly but it quit as quickly as it started and I was never able to replicate the success. But man oh man I would love a DS3 wireless pad for FFXI on my PC.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Quote Originally Posted by Billnes View Post
    Zarchery,

If you still have everything from the PS2 edition of FFXI, (white outer retail box, HDD Setup disc, and the like) I might want that. If your willing to part with it, think up a (reasonable) number. Even with FFXI for PS2 coming to an end, I might want it as a novelty item. Let me know.
    I have all of the Japanese releases from their launches, but it wasn't bundled with a HDD. Every individual PS2 expansion disc as well. The manual didn't ship inside the case at launch, due to being 300+ pages, it was shrink-wrapped to the DVD case.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Player
    I tried both the 360 and the Xbox One controller on PC and I had on both trouble with the triggers.
    (0)

Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankbrodie View Post
    Pretty much PS2 pads through an adapter here as well. I bought a triangle shaped thing years and years ago that has lasted me so far.

There's absolutely loads of generic USB pads pop up in GAME regularly though. That pretty much work button for button like a PS2 pad. Even if the buttons are different ones and require setting up again in the config panel. So I keep a few of those lying around too.

It's a standing family joke that I can't go near a PC or video game store without coming out with a pad of some description. I have about 30 lying around now lol.
    Like this, I presume?

The engineering seems really fascinating, I wish there was an image, like the one below that was a bigger & showed more detail. This tiny picture was the only one I could find.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the currently available Playstation to USB adapters supply enough voltage to drive the Dualshock motors. I know that my Kiky X-series adapters don't support Dualshock.

To the best of my knowledge, for an adapter to support Dualshock, it would need additional voltage. As I understand it, the 5v being supplied by the single USB cable only powers the adapter board, analog thumb switches and the digital buttons. From documentation & pictures I've seen floating around in cyberspace, it appears that the small motors need 3.3v & the large motors need 7.7v.

If I remember correctly, within the past few years, someone blogged about adding rumble support to a Kiky adapter by soldering on an extra USB cable to power the Dualshock motors. I never bookmarked that page & I can't find it again. I wonder how that would work. 3.3+7.7=11. If the motors need 11v and a second USB connection only provides an additional 5v, you're still 6v short. Where do those 6v come from?
    (0)

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by AoiX View Post
    I tried both the 360 and the Xbox One controller on PC and I had on both trouble with the triggers.
    Due to racing game reverse compatibility (gas/brakes pedals) the XBOX360/XBONE controllers presents LT and RT buttons as a single analog axis for non X-Input games. That's why you can't get them to work correctly.
    (0)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.play-asia.com/super-joyb...en-70-qc4.html

That provides enough voltage for dual-shock motors, and is still available.

The extra voltage comes from drawing more amperage and converting it with electronics. That's why your 120 volts coming out of your power outlet can power your computer to power your 5v USB devices, and the voltage your PS2 takes.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AoiX View Post
    You will, you need to install replacement drivers, could also use the DS4 (PS4) controller, that works with no problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBCD
    (0)
    Last edited by Daniel_Hatcher; 11-09-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Character
    Fahzewn
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsherman View Post
    The Logitech F710 has all the same features as the F310, plus it also has the ability to vibrate and it is wireless.

It does sometimes have problems with the wireless signal getting thru properly due to positioning of the receiver and the controller. But with the switch in the Directinput position, it works very well with FFXI. The Xinput position of the switch makes it work very much like the Xbox 360 controller.
    I have the same Logitech wireless and I will say that while it is nice to have and it works very well with XI, the above is true. It's pretty well documented/complained about on the Logitech forums. Mine didn't start out that way but after some time (years I think for me) it got annoying enough to where I switched to the F310. Of course now, the wired version is suffering from a "double tap" on the confirmation button (X I think) but I blame that on me dropping it too much :P.
    (0)

Player
    I didn't realize Logitech still sold a wireless controller, so after hearing about it in this thread I immediately ordered one online. So while I am super stoked that they finally added Xinput support today, I'm also kinda bummed that I spent $50 for no reason. But my woes aside, looks like the era of needing old controllers is finally over!
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast