Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I always really enjoy reading all the posts by Billnes, which are very carefully written, interesting, very polite, and are clearly based on a great love for FFXI. I also enjoy reading posts by everyone else in this thread, and I can see they are only trying to be helpful and friendly here.

The "without focus" is a key point, when dealing with cognitive disabilities. A person with spastic Cerebral Palsy, such as me, or people with the many other cognitive handicaps, are often capable of genius-level thought (I'm certainly not!) but in many cases it is "pinpoint thinking" which focuses on one single point, and misses the wider penumbra of surrounding information. This is why the term learning-difficulties exists, because learning often requires standing back and observing the big picture, and many persons with cognitive handicaps, find that they focus on single details at a high level, but miss the surrounding data. This is a generalisation, and obviously not true of all.

A current theory is that the cure for cancer, or discovery of time-travel machinery, etc. might eventually be discovered by a person with serious cognitive handicaps, learning disabilities etc. Because we often filter out a lot of surrounding background noise, and only "lock on" to one particular detail, sometimes with laser-like intensity. This is also why people encountering us on the internet, might say "there's nothing wrong with you", this is because a cognitively handicapped person can sit and write out long essays very lucidly, this may lead readers to assume that the writer does not have serious cognitive handicaps, of one type or another.

Words on a computer screen can never really give a clear idea of how difficult it was for the person to write them. For most people, very easy, for some people, incredibly difficult. But on the internet there is no way to tell. I just typed all this stuff out now, and I write and edit books for a living, but I am fully spastic CP and have to retype everything and spasm amusingly and burble. But people only see the words on the page / screen, not the disabled person writing them. I used to get very defensive and upset, when I was being trolled on various internet forums, because it takes a real effort for me to sit and write things, and I wish those people could try to do what I do, even just for a day!
    (4)

No worries dude and welcome to the community. I am happy to see new and returning players to the game. Keeps the game going. Also, if you are ever on Lakshmi, hit me up. I would be more than happy to help you on your adventures on Vana'diel and get you around some good folks that can share their knowledge of your favorite job.
    (4)
    Last edited by BurnNotice; 11-08-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Character
    Nayah
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I always really enjoy reading all the posts by Billnes, which are very carefully written, interesting, very polite, and are clearly based on a great love for FFXI.
    I seem to remember he's the one that shared the pictures of the PS2 devkit and stuff. That was interesting to learn about.
    (1)

4. 05-12-2018 01:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelfox View Post
    I seem to remember he's the one that shared the pictures of the PS2 devkit and stuff. That was interesting to learn about.
    It wasn't a dev kit, it was a Japanese model 10000 series PS2 with the external hard drive attachment. I owned one of those in 2002 when I imported this game to start playing. It was just a model not released in the US, but it was a consumer model.

I have seen nothing from him to learn from, he just seems to misunderstand everything and then post his misunderstandings for others to see, and try to correct.

Dev kits for PS2 say TOOL on the top instead of PS2, and testing units for game developers to run their burned discs say TEST on them.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2