Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Learn as I go? Or no?

I've been trying to take up BLU (alongside everything else), and I'm wondering whether it'd be a better idea to learn spells at a later time, or try to learn them as soon as I can?

So far, I've been doing the latter, but some spells can just be so stubborn (Bashing my head against Self Destruct atm). My blue magic is capped, but I've heard having it above and beyond the required level helps, is that noticeable effect? To an even further extreme, should I wait until I'm level 99 and can equip the ilvl 119 Assimilator's Bazubands +1? Is it a night and day increase that'll be immediately noticeable, or is it not worth going without any new spells for the next 50 levels?
    (0)
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Character
    Doctorweird
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 30
    I did them all at level 99 for mule and most of them worked fine with the iLevel gloves, as there are a lot of high level versions of many enemy family types. There were a few problematic ones, a few oddball spells from mobs that just don't have high level equivalents. I don't remember which ones they are offhand, but those are the ones I'd try to focus on if you want to get them as you level. I think it was mostly CoP mob related, along with Cardians and a few NM types like Hydra and Khimera which are being difficult for some reason and just flat out refusing to use the ability.

Honestly, at the rate of xp gain nowadays I figured it would be impossible to learn as you go as you'd just get too much xp.
    (0)

I think a mix is good. Get a few key spells, and spell hunt when you feel like it (seriously if you feel like doing it - do it cause lots of times you WILL NOT feel like doing it) but don't worry about getting every single thing. I am missing a few of the mid level spells and maybe they are good for setting traits or w/e but I don't feel like I miss them. Every once in awhile I will go out for funsies and get some spells I missed but really you don't need every spell. I'm sure it would be nice but there are lots you won't miss. Like I don't have frypan for example and I think I will survive...

When I leveled I would do 10-20 levels then hunt some spells - usually a batch that comes from the same mobs/mobs in the same general area. (Diamondhide, tail slap and firespit for example)
    (0)
    Last edited by Olor; 10-14-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I should mention I do intend to collect all the spells sometime. It's mostly a question of which saves me more time. Doing it as I go earns spells while I'm getting xp. Doing it later means higher blue magic skill and reforged AF gloves.
    (0)
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Urthdigger View Post
    I should mention I do intend to collect all the spells sometime. It's mostly a question of which saves me more time. Doing it as I go earns spells while I'm getting xp. Doing it later means higher blue magic skill and reforged AF gloves.
    If you plan on getting them all, go every 20 or so levels and hunt down a bunch. For reals. Being higher level doesn't actually help that much other than in not getting killed while stuff smacks you. I know it's supposed to help but in my experience random is random. I've gotten spells above my level in 1 try, had spells below my level take hours to get... just make sure your BLU magic skill is high enough to get it at all
    (0)
    Last edited by Olor; 10-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm going through the same process at the moment :-) My experience is similar to Olor's - some spells a learnt straight away, some take a while; however, whilst I've not got hard evidence, my feeling is that the AF hand pieces are a considerable help. Once I got those (and basic AF will help, not even reforged) my learn rate seemed distinctly higher. Not scientific I know, but that has definitely been my impression.

The other approach I've been taking is to look at which traits I really want (for me that's been regen, refresh, triple attack, TH, MAB, ATK, Fast Cast, Dual Wield to start with :-)) and concentrate on those spells

Hope this helps

Art.
    (1)

Character
    Kuroganashi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    REAL BLUE MAGES do not Wait til 99 >.>

Get them ASAP !

That is all.

Sides that is the funnest part about BLU , is hunting the spells

Idk why ppl would hit 99 w/o all their spells already >.> (That makes me Sad)
    (0)