Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Another Relic Weapon Thread

Just thought of some new ways to improve RME's. New weapons have some pretty awesome added effects, including Death and Colossal Blow. Let's be honest, these additional effects belong on relics, not drops from content that is of moderate to easy difficult. The add effect on Kikoku is a weak and impotent paralyze. Added effect from Apocalypse is blindness... on a Dark Knight Relic Weapon called Apocalypse, you get an added effect that inflicts blindness roughly 10% of the time. I'm not sure how much the EVA down from Bravura is, but I have a hunch it's not a mind-blowing number. Same for choke from Gutler, and Attack down from Amanomurakumo. If my memory serves correct, Gungnir was finally adjusted so the DEF down from it is now its own unique thing, or it at least stacks with angon. And I don't think the bow or the gun even have added effects, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Now, let's move onto the better ones (or supposedly better). The poison from Mandau is decent, I think 40/tic. Claustrum's added effect is dispel, one of the best added effects, IMO. Mjollnir has MP recovery, but I'm not sure about the exact stats on it. Excalibur's added damage was pretty good last I checked. Spharai has counter+, which is cool. Ragnarok has critical hit rate... which would be cool... if GS had a good critical hit WS, but it doesn't, making that a puzzling attribute for the weapon.

I said it before: All relics should have ACC/ATK+ (of their respective class, i.e. Apoc has acc/atk+50, Yoichi has ranged acc/atk+50, you get the point) to solidify their place as your top choice for that weapon class. Their only legit comparisons SHOULD be Empryeans and Mythics. Other weapons, such as the new ones from Escha'Ru-Aun and Alluvion Skirmish should at best be considered pseudo legendary weapons. Very good in their own right, but ultimately mock ultimate weapons.

"Man, the blind effect from my Apocalypse really saved the day!" said no one ever. Now I'm sure now that I said that, that some guy will come on here and say the blindness really did save the day. But that's not the point. These weapons should be game changers that transforms the way the party wants to use you. weapons that make your party always want you on that job, kind of like what Aegis does for PLD, and Ghorn used to do for BRD. But I guess they all USED to do that for their jobs. Instead, you receive comments such as "Oh you have a Kikoku? That's neat."

I understand these weapons had that effect at one point of time. But outside of Aegis, it's just not true anymore. It's true these weapons are infinitely easier to obtain now, but that is no excuse for these weapons to be glorified trophies. Please don't try to argue that they would be overpowered... in the history of FF, the point of these kinds of weapons WAS to be overpowered. To reach a level of transcendence otherwise not achievable.

I think all Relics should have a special attribute, such as critical hit rate, TP bonus, WS dmg, enhances dual wield, DA/TA/QA maybe, that sort of thing. AND a special added effect. Not one or the other. Back when the weapons were originally designed, having too many stats on a weapon was impossible because of certain restrictions that do not exist anymore.

I propose to change/adjust added effects. These are just added effect ideas for Relics: Death (2H only), Colossal Blow, A potent Curse, Doom, Weakness, a crippling paralyze, Petrification, Slow, a stun effect that cannot be resisted. Massive DEF/ACC/EVA/ATK downs that are unique to those weapons. BY massive I mean 50%. The activation rate on these varies by effect, with obviously death having a low activation rate, while the DEF/ACC/EVA/ATK down have a 50% proc rate.

Sorry for the long post, and sorry if this seems to be more ranting than helpful.
    (6)

Player
    Downside is, they become mandatory, like Aegis/Ochain still is for PLD. They are not really, but people make them a requirement, which is the same at the end.
    I feel with everyone who made one or more of them, just to see them get dusty in your moghouse now. But at the same time I'm kinda happy, that i don't need to spend weeks or months to get a single item before i can bring a job to an event.

I still like the idea of such weapons, but if you want to make them so strong as they were in the past, then u need to set the difficulty to obtain them pretty high. Without the possibility of "cheating" like buying gil or making an army of Alt's.
    They need to stay very rare.
    (0)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    In regards to Aegis and Ochain, they frequently are not necessary, yes, but the problem there with people demanding them, as I just saw the other night people specifically demanding a NIN with 100 Job Points for Utsusemi: San (and I believe we were also promises that these things would not be things that would become requirements, just nice perks for playing a job), the problem is the playerbase who cannot function without such crutches because they've not had to for years and years and years.

As to RME, my stance on that is pretty much in every thread I can post it in that's related to it. Mythics should definitely be the most powerful of the three, with Empyrean to follow. Relics are just too incredibly easy to make by comparison with the other two. They should be better than the rest of the 119 trash that is increasingly better than RME with each update, since not all 119 gear is created equal, and the power creep is pretty silly.
    (0)

Character
    Jimothy
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I've been lurking around the forums for a few years, but decided to finally comment on this since I've hoped for this change for quite a while.

I agree that Relic weapons are pretty easy to make these days, but they do need a buff. I feel that a new quest should be added to enhance them in some way. Even just an increase to base damage could put them on par with these new weapons from escha, or old weapons from alluvion skirmishes. I've heard several suggestions that vary from an augment system to simply adding or changing stats. I don't think the buff should be a hand out, but rather a quest or task to enhance these weapons back to the top tier class they should be in.
    (2)

Virtually all RME need substantial buffs from their weak state. Buffs should make them viable to equip on main hand... Not pieces to store on a mannequin.
    (2)
    Last edited by Jile; 10-01-2015 at 04:04 AM.

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthos View Post
    Downside is, they become mandatory, like Aegis/Ochain still is for PLD. They are not really, but people make them a requirement, which is the same at the end.
    I feel with everyone who made one or more of them, just to see them get dusty in your moghouse now. But at the same time I'm kinda happy, that i don't need to spend weeks or months to get a single item before i can bring a job to an event.
    They need to stay very rare.
    I think this has more to do with the player base failing to understand how to create a proper strategy. Most people think that an Aegis PLD is the only job that can tank, which is just not true. For some reason, some players in this game are not willing to try new things. I think it's a little ridiculous that the player base of a game called Final Fantasy lacks creativity. They become successful at something one time, then claim their way is the only way. I try to pass off my experience and wisdom to other players as much as I can, but if people don't want/accept my help, there's nothing I can do for them.
    (1)

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    It's good to see everybody at least agrees with the general point of the thread, which is what I expected. I am just hoping to keep the thread alive and active, so more people continue to voice their opinion. I am hoping that the Dev team at least acknowledges the problem and addresses the issue before major content updates end. I don't think having an RME should ever be necessary for a job; it's just what you do when you want to take the job to a new level, similar to getting to 1200 JP's on it.

One more thing that crossed my mind, please add newer jobs (BLU, COR, PUP, DNC, SCH, GEO, RUN) to relics and empryeans. One thing that frustrates me about PLD vs RUN debate is that PLD has numerous RME's available, and while they may not all be great for PLD, they are there nonetheless. RUN gets one Ergon weapon, which are still by far the most expensive to make. These jobs would be in no way overpowered because DNC could now use Mandau.

I would even like to see RUN added to Excalibur. Before you shoot that idea down, think about these facts: PLD can use Ragnarok, when it has a GS rating of B, whereas RUN has a sword rating of A-. Also consider RUN is more of a "knight" than RDM, another job that can use Excal, which has also has a B sword skill rating. The biggest problem would be the added effect damage from Excal, but that's something a lot of players already have issue with via En spells.
    (0)