Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Bazookatooth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    At this point - it wouldn't surprise me if the roadmap for development is complete and there isn't much room to maneuver. I have to wonder if it's even worth posting suggestions - given that the final update is landing pretty soon; chances are the developers are already working on that final update -- where they're going to find time to add in additional changes from suggestions that are continually posted is anyone's guess.
    Of course there's a reason. You can still troll people by getting SE to completely screw up their favorite job for no good reason by whining about how you can't get party invites because X job is insanely OP.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    At this point - it wouldn't surprise me if the roadmap for development is complete and there isn't much room to maneuver. I have to wonder if it's even worth posting suggestions - given that the final update is landing pretty soon; chances are the developers are already working on that final update -- where they're going to find time to add in additional changes from suggestions that are continually posted is anyone's guess.
    There will still be minor updates for QOL stuff and fixing bugs as necessary. They can also still do things that don't require code changes / rebuilds.
    (0)

Character
    Midnitdragoon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 93
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    There will still be minor updates for QOL stuff and fixing bugs as necessary. They can also still do things that don't require code changes / rebuilds.
    i pray heavily to the final fantasy gods that at the end of the RoV story we are greeted with a "See you in Final Fantasy 11-2!!!" message.
    (4)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnitdragoon View Post
    i pray heavily to the final fantasy gods that at the end of the RoV story we are greeted with a "See you in Final Fantasy 11-2!!!" message.
    More like "See you in the FFXI phone game."
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Pretty much, things that can be changed server-side without requiring a client update will be what they can do. That means they can change attributes of monsters and things like casting or recast timers. Adding things to menus will be out.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bazookatooth View Post
    it will either receive a "We have no plans.." type response, or no response at all.
    Nope.
    Over the years you can hardly find replies (there are a few, truth be said) done by the community team that are not a translated messages from the JP devs/community reps.
    Even the "we have no plans" are just translated comments from the JP forums.
    It's just like that. JP players ask > JP devs/reps reply > ENG reps look for a fitting thread and post the translated reply.
    Sometimes, rarely, they cannot find a fitting thread (because no english player has been asking the same thing yet) and they are "forced" to look for the closest thing, sometimes creating funny results like the recent thing with the COR thread about Guns and Daggers.

You won't see the opposite happening and there has hardly, if ever, been a situation where the ENG players asked for something that hasn't been asked by the JP players yet (which by itself it's not that rare of a thing to happen) and get a reply from the community reps.
    Which mean that despite the good intentions of the community reps and wether or not they really report our posts to the JP devs, they just do not care for the ENG-only questions, most of the time.
    Well "do not care" sound harsh. Maybe it's more about "they have no time to also do that, in addition to what they're already doing". Because I think it's more a matter of limited time/resources, rather than hate for non-JP customers lol, of course it's not that.

Different story for the bugs reports, technical issues and so on of course.
    I'm not saying all this in a denigrating way, absolutely not.
    I'm just trying to clarify that the community reps job is more complex and a bit different from how many people in here imagine it to be.
    Talking about FFXI of course, it's quite a different story for FFXIV...
    (0)
    Last edited by Zhronne; 09-28-2015 at 07:24 PM.
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Pretty much, things that can be changed server-side without requiring a client update will be what they can do. That means they can change attributes of monsters and things like casting or recast timers. Adding things to menus will be out.
    Er...no. Things that require development, e.g adding full blown content and new zones, will be out as that's what comes in major updates. Client updates can continue quite easily unless from the get go they developed XI like they did XIV ARR to the point they can't do basic client work without the game wanting to hang itself.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Bazookatooth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    You won't see the opposite happening and there has hardly, if ever, been a situation where the ENG players asked for something that hasn't been asked by the JP players yet (which by itself it's not that rare of a thing to happen) and get a reply from the community reps.
    Which mean that despite the good intentions of the community reps and wether or not they really report our posts to the JP devs, they just do not care for the ENG-only questions, most of the time.
    Well "do not care" sound harsh. Maybe it's more about "they have no time to also do that, in addition to what they're already doing". Because I think it's more a matter of limited time/resources, rather than hate for non-JP customers lol, of course it's not that.
    I don't think the community reps ignore us. I think the devs ignore us. Or more accurately, choose not to respond. I fully believe that the reps do everything they can to convey our posts to the devs and get responses. Let's be honest. If we were actually talking (instead of typing), I could tell you pretty much everything that's happening in this board every week and get your responses to every topic in about 5 minutes total. There really aren't that many. The devs just don't respond very often and when they do, it's not to us. I don't care how busy you are as a dev. You can scrape together a half hour every week to hear what your customers are saying and respond to it. I think it's more of a company policy to keep the discussion at a minimal in order to limit our expectations. If they actually responded to everything, it would give us far too much control and / or lead to confrontation with them. So they play it safe and interact just enough to make us feel like they don't hate us, but not quite enough to make us think we actually have a say in things.
    (1)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    I'm not saying all this in a denigrating way, absolutely not.
    I love that it's so easy to get banned from this forum; you have to state and clarify the intentions of your post at the end of it to avoid a ban.

Good post though.
    (1)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bazookatooth View Post
    You can scrape together a half hour every week to hear what your customers are saying and respond to it. I think it's more of a company policy to keep the discussion at a minimal in order to limit our expectations. If they actually responded to everything, it would give us far too much control and / or lead to confrontation with them. So they play it safe and interact just enough to make us feel like they don't hate us, but not quite enough to make us think we actually have a say in things.
    As a software engineer, who works on a team of developers producing an end-product used by thousands of people in the cloud; I can tell you from my own experience that developers being in contact with the consumer results in developers getting not much work done. The consumer is never satisfied. Developers should be shielded (seems like a harsh word to use - but it isn't) from the consumer and kept in an environment where they work stress free without worrying about the insurmountable number of threads/comments floating around about their work and future updates.

I would bet that hardly any of our questions get to the actual developers - same for Japanese players - more like the team lead/manager (someone who does very little, if any, work in the code themselves); who fields the questions briefly.

Of course; I am speaking from my own experiences of working in development teams over the years. SE might run their development teams very differently; but one thing that will never (and rightfully so) be on the agenda is developers stressing over what the end-user thinks. That's for the management.
    (2)
    Last edited by Dazusu; 09-29-2015 at 07:33 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast