Thread: Sam atmas

Character
    Nyosan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    Smiting Blow & VV are a given, 3rd Atma should be based on whatever you're doing and what weapon you have.

Razed Ruins can actually be great for Masamune SAM since the aftermath applies to critical hits which means if you get a double damage proc on a crit you can easily smack mobs for 700+ a swing. But otherwise I like Sundering Slash for the extra Regain + Attack.

The main reason for Suneater is to help enable a 4-hit build btw. I believe it's possible to do without it, but you have to have top-notch STP gear and eat carbonara. If you can manage 4-hit without Atma with a Masamune (it's possible) then you should definitely use either Razed Ruins or Griffon Claw (WS DMG +20%!) for your 3rd Atma.
    Please don't give SAM advice.

Stacking Regain/Store TP atma is terrible advice. If you want to increase WS frequency, Apoc and A&O will contribute more to that goal than Sun Eater.

If you can't comfortably 5-hit with your weapon and gear selection, try a 6-hit with Sword Strap. If that doesn't work, try a 6-hit with Rose Strap. If you've got very good gear and a 480-delay GKT such as Kikugosaku, a 4-hit build is possible.

Depending on what you're fighting, you'll typically want some combination of Apoc, A&O, Razed Ruins, and Voracious Violet. Only stack regain atma if you're not engaging and are there for red/blue triggers.
    (1)

Character
    Lotmorning
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Depending on gear/GK using Atma of the Plaguebringer/Apoc/VV was a nice combo for me. I had a normal 6 hit build (normal 450 delay) then 5 hit with Orthus GK, however I soon discovered that with Atma of the Plaguebringer I was able to take my 5 hit build down to a 4 hit. Couple that with Apoc (triple attack), VV (Double attack), and also the extra Double attack chance on Plaguebringer, I was a WS machine able to self SC with self and even 3 WS light at times by self (not even using Sekkanoki). This was an amazing set up for SAM tanking in abyssea with HP of 3k+ and Seigan Third Eye and 0 sacrafice to gear slots and haste.
    (0)

Character
    Jacs
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    For SAM atma choices, you always want VV/Apoc, and the third you choose based on situation. I'm pretty sure that Scorpion Queen is the tops of the Store TP atmas, damage-wise anyways. Plaguebringer could be useful for the Regen, but the 10% crit rate of SQ should beat out Plaguebringer's double attack and Suneater's conserve-TP. I don't mean to burst your bubble about Plaguebringer, but the likely 5% double attack on it probably isn't doing a whole lot for you compared to what other atmas can do.

If you have a true 5-hit and any sort of haste buff, it shouldn't be hard to make self SC's. Without any buffs at all, I can 2 step SC (Fudo+Fudo=Light) with just Meditate.
    (0)

Character
    Nyosan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacs View Post
    For SAM atma choices, you always want VV/Apoc, and the third you choose based on situation. I'm pretty sure that Scorpion Queen is the tops of the Store TP atmas, damage-wise anyways. Plaguebringer could be useful for the Regen, but the 10% crit rate of SQ should beat out Plaguebringer's double attack and Suneater's conserve-TP. I don't mean to burst your bubble about Plaguebringer, but the likely 5% double attack on it probably isn't doing a whole lot for you compared to what other atmas can do.

If you have a true 5-hit and any sort of haste buff, it shouldn't be hard to make self SC's. Without any buffs at all, I can 2 step SC (Fudo+Fudo=Light) with just Meditate.
    Giving up Razed Ruins is a huge loss of TP-phase damage. It's not only for jobs with critical weapon skills.
    (0)

Player
    It's not as big a loss for SAM because they don't have a critical hit weaponskill. It's a fair option if you have Masamune for Aftermath but it's not as big a gap between other atma as jobs with critical hit weaponskills. Alpha/Omega can fare competitively for example.
    (0)

Character
    Nyosan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    A&O is a good option for SAM, but you'd be better off switching out the non-RR/Apoc atma. Ensuring dDEX is capped and getting an additional 30% crit rate/damage is very substantial, even for jobs without critical hit WS.
    (0)

Its going to depend if you have fudo or not too. Gear set up and ws mods are completely different from the standard Y/G/K setup.
    (0)

Character
    Nyosan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    WS setup varies in certain slots, but it's really not completely different. Pure STR vs. balanced STR/ATT. Fudo is a 60% STR WS with high fTP and no ATT boost, and Y/G/K are 75% STR WS with lowish fTP and a large ATT boost.

Grips not included, as they'll vary depending on TP gear.
    Ideal Y/G/K: http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/215433
    Ideal Fudo: http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/215435

The ideal Fudo build will become even more similar to the Y/G/K build the closer you get to capping attack against the target, until the point that they're identical.

If a SAM doesn't have Fudo, he should really be considering Penta Thrust or even Rana instead of Y/G/K. Y/G/K is far from optimal in situations where one can expect to have a significant amount of ATT/ACC.
    (0)

Character
    Turdinator
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    RR/Apoc are dead certain atma's to use (Masa/Amano or not), 3rd is purely situational.

If you cannot achieve a decent 5hit build then VV, otherwise Smiting Blow or Griffon's Claw - The latter being supreme.

Decent 5hit being - http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/185407

Edit: You should include Atheling Mantle in your WS set, they might be outdated idk.
    (0)
    Last edited by Invasion; 05-30-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote of the day*

"Opps sorry dozed off, do you think I care about a 5hit build obvioulsy not. Do I have the gear for it yes I do. A little thing about WAR is double attack which makes up for that. So you can shove your 5hit build for someone that doesnt even have WAR leveled."

Character
    Nyosan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Invasion View Post
    If you cannot achieve a decent 5hit build then VV, otherwise Smiting Blow or Griffon's Claw - The latter being supreme.
    Nah. Keep the VV and swap out the Tactical for Atheling, or use Alpha & Omega.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invasion View Post
    Edit: You should include Atheling Mantle in your WS set, they might be outdated idk.
    It's going to depend on how close you are coming to capping ATT. The closer you come, the more Unkai pulls ahead.

Also, whether you want to use a 5-hit or a 6-hit is going to depend on your total haste values. The more haste you are receiving, the better an ideal 6-hit build becomes, due to the two-second delay after a WS and before the following melee round.

In Abyssea, it's an even larger factor due to the triple attack and double attack atma. But really, who plays SAM in Abyssea?
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast