Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    The reason I am interested in longterm characters in videogames is that I started playing my AD&D tabletop roleplaying character in 1982, and this character is still alive and adventuring after 33 years. The group I play AD&D with are lifetime characters that the same group have spent our lives adventuring as. It produces fascinating scenarios, the group will make jokes about what their characters did decades ago, and we have memories constantly. There are storylines that have been returning for decades, and enemy arch-villains who have hunted the group relentlessly for 33 years!

It is very rewarding to become so attached to a group of characters in a fantasy world, and remain bonded to them for almost half a century. It is also an enjoyable challenge to write advanced adventure-modules for such high level ancient characters, how to keep the story alive and pay respects to the characters' long lives and cultural integrity.

This is why FFXI fascinated me so much in the beginning, because it has a similar element of longterm character development. But at the same time I realise that this is all bound into an arcade-battle computergame, and it is not like tabletop roleplaying characters, who are immensely detailed and realistic compared to videogame characters. In advanced groups of AD&D players, the character-player bond is sacred and immense, players feel the sorrow and joy that their characters experience, on a deep personal level. I could insult a player in my roleplaying group personally, and they would shrug, but if I insulted their fantasy character I'd be in serious trouble!

This is actually why I am very sympathetic to SE at this time, they have the same problem as I have in my Dungeon-Master role. If I told my players that I could not write any more adventure-modules for their characters, they would be devastated, it would make all our lives sorrowful if we couldn't adventure together again as we always have done. I see this as similar to this discussion thread, about players wanting to keep Vanadiel and their characters alive.

FFXI will always be my favourite computergame, and I will always play it for as long as it is available. I also understand the problems inherent in running any longterm-character roleplaying games, and how problematic this becomes when translated to the fickle and fleeting computergame market.
    (5)
    Last edited by Stompa; 09-08-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Brevity.

Character
    Muras
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    In regards to the future of FF11 though, one thing I found interesting is that it is going to be at Tokyo Game Show this year, as shown on SE's TGS page:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs15/titles/

For those who're wondering, FF11 hasn't been at TGS for years, and I doubt all they're going to talk about is Rhapsodies. Perhaps we'll get more info on that new mobile client? I dunno, but hopefully some (good) surprise announcements. Hopefully...

Anyways, as far as FFXI 2.0 goes, I'd be happy with just continued content. The game is dated, sure, but I don't care if it gets a graphical overhaul. I just want to see the rest of the world... More of the East, more of Ulbulka, I wanna see the north and the Mithran Homeland. And I want to see it in FF11 itself, not some weird pseudo-spinoff Vana'diel (Those mobile games they announced for Japan only). I've been a FF11 player since NA PC launch because I enjoy the storylines, and the gameplay suits my tastes. I like that I have hundreds of spells and abilities at my disposal across multiple jobs, unlike the handful in FF14. I mean, I currently have 147 spells as SCH/rdm alone and almost all of them have some use. That is awesome.

I have to say, Matsui and the other current devs have done a phenomenal job the past few years. I feel that a lot of the things they've done are things that should've happened years ago, so it kinda gives a feeling of "too little, too late". I still recall interviews of the old Producer, Tanaka, answering questions about certain topics and always saying stuff like "Too hard", "Too expensive", "Too little resources". But here we are years later, with less developers and a smaller budget, accomplishing things on the game client nobody would've ever expected to happen. It's because these things were missing all these years that the game got to where it is today (In my opinion). The game was successful, but it could've been even more so if SE just bit the bullet and put the resources into the game when they were needed, rather than slowly turn the tap lower over the years.

I'm not trying to jab too much at Tanaka (I do feel bad for him, FF14 and all) and SE, since they did a lot of good things too. But it wasn't too hard, it wasn't too expensive, and they did have the resources. Knowing this, it's just a tad bit angering.

With that said though, the past is in the past. I still have some (probably impossible) hopes that they were smart enough to develop a new PC client alongside the new mobile one, and that FF11's core gameplay remains untouched. Perhaps along with this new client, they might've developed new tools to create new content. It's a long shot, but until we get more details I may as well hope a little.

My older brother was actually excited to hear the game was being ported to mobile devices, who hasn't played since probably 2004. But hopes were quickly shattered when I told him the PC and mobile users would be on different servers, so that was that. It's PC or nothing for me... I can't stand playing games on a Nintendo 3DS, much less my smart phone.

I'll stay with FF11 for now, and enjoy it while I can. I'm just worried I'll run out of things to do sooner than later...
    (5)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Oh wow I didn't know FFXI was gonna be at TGS.
    (2)

Character
    Skizzle
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 70
    Zachery: Don't be such a negative nancy. It almost feels like you are beeing paid by Yoshi P to be so anti future of FFXI. Incase you forgot what happened during 1.0 when Yoshi P took over he pretty much begged people to stay and pay for FFXIV so the project wouldnt be scrapped. Some FFXI players had double subscriptions and some who just came to 1.0 continued to pay. So if thats possible a FFXI revamped kickstarter can also be possible. You keep talking about business and market and all other stuff thats pretty much captain obvious to anyone that knows business but guess what? SE didnt even bother to try to go the same path with asking the players like Yoshi P did for FFXIV. Let them ask first and see if people are willing to be ask them to make the donations aswell. If that hasnt even been tried yet you kinda can't sit here and babble about your business knowledge. They have had 2 MMORPGs up and running at the same time and they can continue to do so if they wish. As long as there is a market! The market has not even been asked or addressed. So to anyone here but the negative nancy how can we start a kickstarter? Does anyone know people on the SE staff on social media to start somewhere?

Note that SE used the oldest marketing trick in the book when it came to saving FFXIV we all fell for it and got burned so hard when they picked a director who had no FF knowledge and came straight from WoW and DAoC. Confirmed rumours also is that Tanaka never left SE at first. He was to work under Yoshi P but he left when he saw what Yoshi P wanted for FFXIV wich was the opposite of Tanakas work meaning to create something unique that is not a WoW clone. Since these two don't get along on the bestest of terms now think about this aswell. In a interview with Yoshi P from last year during some event he said he was not interested in the FFXI players cause its not the same game. You can't tell me that a person has not had an ego trip when the answer is like that? Instead of saying regardless of what happens to FFXI they shall always feel they have a home in FFXIV and Eorzea.
    Also I'm pretty sure someone with health reasons wouldnt get a high position on Gungho Online

Pretty much this is not too late we just have to talk to the right people if someone knows where to start I have people willing to invest and we are talking in the 10 000 dollars categories from multiple people.
    (5)
    Last edited by Skizzle; 09-08-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Muras View Post
    In regards to the future of FF11 though, one thing I found interesting is that it is going to be at Tokyo Game Show this year, as shown on SE's TGS page:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs15/titles/

For those who're wondering, FF11 hasn't been at TGS for years, and I doubt all they're going to talk about is Rhapsodies. Perhaps we'll get more info on that new mobile client? I dunno, but hopefully some (good) surprise announcements. Hopefully...
    I want to believe! But at the same time, it is doubtful they would have told everyone the stuff they told us a few months ago, if they had any intention of announcing any FFXI 2.0 at TGS. I hope I'm wrong!

It could be a tribute presentation, to mark the lifetime of FFXI, and to present the final-form, completed game. Many casual / returning players still seem confused about the end-of-updates / end-of-game issue, and didn't understand the recent announcements. Maybe the TGS presentation is to say that "hey the game is still available, and now it is completed, look at the final storyline and all the great QOL work we did in recent years, please try FFXI again and enjoy all the improvements!"
    (1)
    Last edited by Stompa; 09-08-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added Miss Smileyface emoticon.

Character
    Pikachuninetail
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Let me lay a few facts on the table for ya:

1. Abby was literally SE's attempt at forcing a cyanide tablet down this game's throat.

Skeptical? Well lets look at everything FFXI stood for prior to abby:

1.A game that required Patience.(You couldn't fly to lvl cap in a week)
    2.A Game that required skill.(I'd loved to see people beat half the bosses in the COP storyline without a strategy prior to walking in. XD)
    3.A game we could brag that was far superior to WoW in every way due to its challenging, no handfeeding, if not hardcore layout.

These three things and more are what made players love FFXI.

And what did abby do it?

Destroyed every single thing above that we loved about the game by turning it into an easymode, skyrocket to 99 in less than week, WoW-rip style setup except without better looking graphics.

Now you make still be skeptical and go: "But why would they do that when it was their top MMO they have going?!"

One reason:

FFXIV 1.0

They wanted us FFXI to abandon FFXI and flock over to their new MMO so they could pull the plug on the FFXI servers but there was just one, intsy,wincy, little problem with this....

FFXIV 1.0 BOMB-SHELLED SO HARD IT WOULD MAKE A NUKE GOING OFF LOOK LIKE A FIREWORKS DISPLAY!

It was at this point that SE looked at FFXI, currently gagging and gasping for air thanks to that cyanide tablet they shoved down its throat and panicked!
    SE REP: "OH SHIT! Our new MMO bombed and nearly everyone has abandoned FFXI since we tried to kill it! What do we do?!"

In comes an expansion for FFXI when one hasn't been released for it in over 5+ years: Seekers of Audouin.

This was SE's attempt at bringing back the gaming pop they purposely tried to get to quit.

However the damage had already been done and was irreversible.

So while FFXI rested on its deathbed with the lifesupport known as its newest expansion, Yoshi p. and crew remade FFXIV and with the full intention of making it a WoW-rip to appeal to the waning WoW player population who had begun to lose interest in the crack addiction.

Turned out to be a huge a success...for about a year.
    (4)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylo- View Post
    Oh wow I didn't know FFXI was gonna be at TGS.
    It's going to be the mobile ap run by nexon, I bet.

If not and they actually are going to do something with this game except drown it, I'll be all over it again.

Right now they lost a lot of players, they didn't all move to XIV as they planned. Lets see if they are smarter than I take them for.
    (0)
    Last edited by peculiar; 09-08-2015 at 11:07 PM.

I'd love to see this game continue. I personally don't care about the graphics but other people feel differently. I do have to say if they had FFXI with FFXIV's graphics - FFXI would POUND FFXIV into the ground in terms of subs.
    (5)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Krystal, opinion is not fact.
    (1)

Character
    Pikachuninetail
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Okay, Live in denial. Your the idiot who can't see what really happened while everyone else can.
    (2)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast